Distance and Type Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

long shot

Reaction score
Has anyone decided what long range would be. How about 200 plus. This could include Inline and Traditional , only difference would be velocity maybe

fivebull said:
Has anyone decided what long range would be. How about 200 plus. This could include Inline and Traditional , only difference would be velocity maybe

200+ sounds like a good place to start

Thanks for the new sub forum. As a shooter of repro Whitworths, Volunteer's, Rigby's, etc. I look forward to some good discussions.

I shoot Ped Gibbs and also have Knight .45 . Have you ever shot at Oak Ridge in Long Range Match. The NMLRA has a 500 yd. match during Nationals

fivebull said:
I shoot Ped Gibbs and also have Knight .45 . Have you ever shot at Oak Ridge in Long Range Match. The NMLRA has a 500 yd. match during Nationals
No, I have not. I like the Gibbs model but don't have one. I have a PH Birmingham Whitworth and Volunteer and the Italian models of each, Navy arms Rigby Creedmoor, home made Rigby, some big bore round round ball rifles (.54, .58, .66, .69, .72) and 4 inlines, A Rem 700ML .54, White .451 &.504, & Knight .54 LK-93. I really want to get one of those Alex Henry rifle kits.

I had a Don brown kit, but sold it. I have seen Rod England's parts for the Henry kit and they look very nice. I have one of Rod's schützen rifles and it's very nice.

Just so no one thinks your rifle has to be special, any Inline factory or otherwise can be used to shoot out to at least 300 meters.
If your load will group at 1 inch 100 yds. with right scope you can compete at this distance

fivebull said:
Just so no one thinks your rifle has to be special, any Inline factory or otherwise can be used to shoot out to at least 300 meters.
If your load will group at 1 inch 100 yds. with right scope you can compete at this distance

What do you consider the right type of scope needed for this?

Imo only scope feature that is needed to shoot 0-300meters will be that scope has enough internal elevation adjustment without be maxed out or with addition of moa base to gain elevation adjustment. Some loads could require up to 30 moa adjustment to hold dead on at 300meters and quality so scope will consistently return to zero.
Imo magnfication is up to shooter. 3x9 will be plenty .

This scope is a SWFA .It will get you all the way to 500 with out any shimming . Cost is about 300, 30 mm tube

fivebull said:

This scope is a SWFA .It will get you all the way to 500 with out any shimming . Cost is about 300, 30 mm tube
No, that is draw back, but turret will set to zero.

Is that a 10x42 ss how many inches elevation do they have?

If you get a vortex scope zero stop will not be a drawback

ronlaughlin said:
If it had a zero stop, it couldn't get to 500 yard?? Perhaps not having a zero stop is not a drawback?
how do you figure that. I know a vortex that reaches 1000 with zero stop

zero stop means you can lock the turret where ever your zero. the other way you have to left the turret by loosening set screws and put the turret back at the bottom on your zero line

My scopes turret have zero stop, which only allow one revolution of the elevation dial. This means i cannot reach 500 yard. Evidently my term, and the term accepted here are different. To adjust for zero, i do loosen set screw.

Back