Do you go to Rendezvous's

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul54

Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you guys ever go to a Rendezvous?

We have one coming up next month in Graham TX. Was thinking about checking it out.

Just bought a Lyman Trade rifle.

Been shooting an Omega for 8 years.

Paul

Graham? We used to deer hunt up near Newcastle, havent thought about that area in a while. Our lease actually was good for doves, quail and ducks as well as deer. Really enjoyed it.

When I was younger, I used to go to a lot of Rendezvous in the Wisconsin and even Iowa area. I really enjoyed the people at them. The food of course, and just the spirit of the Rendezvous. But like all good things, people found a way to screw them up.

The main one I used to attend became tainted. Where once it was lots of friendly honest people, dressed in period dress, and using period items, turned into a circus of people, walking through out camps, on their tourist day out. The tourist (see the town advertized it to draw crowds) came in, handling OUR PROPERTY, even looking in some people's lodges. And the kids were running around unsupervised. It got to where you had to leave a camp guard to make sure no one walked off with your possibles. The actual campers felt like a side show.

And then a flee market decided it was the perfect place to move in, set up tables and sell JUNK to all the tourists. What started out as a great learning adventure turned into a money making enterprise for the city that hosted us. And then they decided that our camping fees were not high enough. My last outing, you could have stayed at a MOTEL 6 for about the same cost per day. Then insurance companies and lawyers decided that some of the sports were "too dangerous" and had to be discontinued. I mean what was the use.

I then decided to walk away from all of it. Sold off most my gear, and called it quits. If I were going to a rendezvous ever again, it would be a very SMALL one, unadvertised, where people just meet to have fun and spend a weekend in period attire. And I have been invited to a couple. But with my old bones, bad back, and knees.. if I ever slept on the ground again, that's where they would have to leave me.

I hope that the one you are thinking of attending is not a tourist attraction. Not only are rendezvous a lot of fun, but you can learn a lot of stuff there. And meet some very nice people. Good luck.

I went to a couple to shoot, but never camped. It takes a lot of money to get all the gear you're expected to have.

i went to one. . .

I really enjoyed the people. . .but. . .

Between the rules and regulations. . . all because of "insurance" reasons, I am sure, it was a big turn off.

Go to a small one. .. no more than 20 members. You will really enjoy it.

I attended the Fox Valley muzzleloaders doings twice last year. I put on my period clothes and walked around there, but was not imressed. They didn't have anything going on, but a few folks sitting around their camps. Might have been better had I know anyone there. A quick look at their websit, it seems they are not trying very hard to get new members, as it was a big turn off. I do have plans to attend several different ones this year.

I'm looking forward to attending Echoes from the past in Oshkosh Wisconsin Saturday. This is an indoor event with venders selling clothes and etc.

You guys are going to the wrong Rondies..

Can't speak for all of them, but the larger ones around here (PNW) run 150+ shooters.

They keep it pretty inclusive. Separate modern and primitive camps so folks can still participate even if they don't have a primitive camp. Same goes for clothes. You can shoot in civies. Just have to have a traditional rifle, PRB and open irons. Shooting in costume gets you an extra point on your score.

Rifle,pistol, Tradegun, hawk and knife, shotgun and archery trails. Mostly steel with a few novelty targets thrown in. Post shoots, tater shoots, candle shoots, long gong, etc...

Pee wee trail for kids. One Rondy even has a candy cannon.

Plenty to do.

Kids and dogs are expected to be monitored and kept under control and booshway's enforce the camp rules.

If the OP has questions the Booshway's contact number for the Graham Rondy is on the Rondy flier.
http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingasso ... 20&t=18197

Muley Hunter said:
I went to a couple to shoot, but never camped. It takes a lot of money to get all the gear you're expected to have.

AMEN to that.

I have accumulated alot of gear and gone to dozens of Rondies in the past and it seems like there is always a new learning curve to be found.

Many groups are extremely picky about the gear you bring in. Some subscribe to being very authentic right down to hand stictching and thread counting. Some just want you to have period correct items in period correct fashion. In general I would not show up to a rondie with just any ole thing expecting to be part of a unit or group. It just does not work that way.

they dont have any that I know of anywhere near me east coast. the closest thing is Dixons ML fair, which to me is way better anyway. theres may be abt 4-5 vendors in period dress. Its mostly just a gathering of builders, buyers and sellers. Everyone is welcome, wear Carhartt's and work boots, no prob. After hearing about all the hassles with not only collecting all the gear for a rondy, but expecting microscopic scrutiny of all the gear. You wont see me at one :roll:

I did the rendezvous gig for about 15 years. Yes, it takes time and $$ to gather up all your clothing and gear. I still have most of mine, but haven't participated in several years due to newbies who were hell-bent on doing things their way....basically destroying the historical aspect of the event we wished to portray and hold on to. There are still large events held each year that hold the old customs near and dear. Join the NMLRA (National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association). There are numerous events listed in their magazine. Lots of good folks to be introduced to along the way. My old back just won't do the ground camping gig anymore, but I enjoy attending different events just to socialize. I've enjoyed several years of these type events.

We have a good one in Maine check out theancientonesofmaine.com
we have a modern area where folks can tent in a nylon tent or a motorhome, we let new folks come as they are the first time and most get a long primitive shirt and some sort of pants for the next vous.We do it for fun and we love to have new people. We have the primitive area where things are correct(except new folks) I own 96 acres 3 miles back from civilization. The A/O's have been around since the 80's free ribeyes in the spring and lobsters in the fall. As with any group the grim reaper has picked off a few but we keep going.
Come see us!
Nit Wit

Beings a trapper de yearly rendezvous, convention, trade show et al... is a must attend. No shooting or such but lots of info, equipment, classes and at night ... well.. Franklin Co. Va. provides a large part of the entertainment. Yee Haw! LOL! I try to make the Va. convention, NC. convention, MD convention, PA convention for sure. The SE or NE sectional of the NTA is a get to if not too far and the national is really nice but doan get there but every 2-3 years. De "buckskinner" guys are really just make pretend and mostly need to get a real life! Try real trappin and hunting for a living today an U be a "hard case" real quick. Historical is nice but live it in the here and now is very different. W

A person can start out with just a day trip. For those of you who live in the midwest the echos from the past event held every year in feb in Oshkosh WI is a great place to get you clothing. Lots of venders and the whole thing is indoors so ya can have fun even in a snow storm.

Latest posts

Back