Doe Down -- Time To Get a Buck!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, so it's NOT an inline in the pix below... But wait before you chase me away...

Now that I've filled my Bonus Doe Tag (using a Savage 99A in .250-3000), I can get out the rest of this season and for the blackpowder season with my T/C Omega inline hunting for a monster buck!!!

Or, I could settle for another doe too, as I still have an Antlerless Deer Tag...

8:45AM on Veterans Day... Sitting on the ground taking a break, leaning back against a tree overlooking a marshy swale that's downslope from an oak ridge and close to a small pond. Hey, there's a deer's ear flicking... Wait, there's 2 deer now, both does, about 30 yards out and crossing the overgrown skidder trail. As they passed behind an uprooted tree, I shifted slightly to the right and readied my Savage 99... As soon as the largest one cleared the root ball, I lined up on her chest (just above and forward, to save the heart for my best friend) -- and fired! I swear I saw the bullet smack the very same hair that I had aimed at.

The doe's rear legs kicked WAY UP in the air and then she charged towards me! She passed by my on right side SO CLOSE that I had blood droplets on my arm and the tree was also spattered! Meanwhile the other doe charged towards my tree too -- only she stopped less than 2 feet away! Just for a second, I'd thought I was "Running With The Does" or something and I expected to get run over... She stood there with her brown eyes wide open and her neck stretched out looking at me like "What was that? And what are you anyway?" Saving my regular tag for a chance on a buck with my Omega, I just leaned forward and touched her muzzle with my gun's muzzle to shoo her away...

As she turned and ran off, the doe that I'd shot finished her loop around the tree and followed the other one, falling several times, until I could see the smaller deer run from sight and the larger one fall in a clump. And here she is:
Doe_11-11-17_02_Small_.jpg

And here's her "Last Meal":
Doe_11-11-17_04_Small_.jpg

A small sprig of evergreen was gently placed in her mouth as I said a silent prayer for the deer. That's based on an old German "Jaeger" hunting tradition I learned while hunting over in Bavaria once years ago... The evergreen is green all year -- symbolizing continued life -- and the deer's life thus helps to sustain our life. Or something like that... Anyway, I think it's a nice way to honor the animal and it gives me pause to give thanks before all the work begins.

OK, it's time to put the centerfire rifle away -- and get out hunting with my inline! (Now we're back on topic... :wink: )

Happy Huntin'!

Old No7

Good story and congrats on the doe. Hope you can get as good of a story with the Omega.

The tradition is also known as Letzter Bissen (Last Bite) in Germany and i practice it also. Mine is out of respect for the animal and thank you to God. Traditionally a sprig dipped in its blood should be worn on the left side of your hat for the rest of the day also and a prayer of thanks.

Old No7 said:
A small sprig of evergreen was gently placed in her mouth as I said a silent prayer for the deer. That's based on an old German "Jaeger" hunting tradition I learned while hunting over in Bavaria once years ago... The evergreen is green all year -- symbolizing continued life -- and the deer's life thus helps to sustain our life. Or something like that... Anyway, I think it's a nice way to honor the animal and it gives me pause to give thanks before all the work begins.

OK, it's time to put the centerfire rifle away -- and get out hunting with my inline! (Now we're back on topic... :wink: )

Happy Huntin'!

Old No7

This is SUPER cool to see folks paying respect to the animal they harvested!! I was taught the same as a youngster, when i take an animal i ALWAYS say a prayer and give thanks.

GM54-120 said:
The tradition is also known as Letzter Bissen (Last Bite) in Germany and i practice it also. Mine is out of respect for the animal and thank you to God. Traditionally a sprig dipped in its blood should be worn on the left side of your hat for the rest of the day also and a prayer of thanks.

GM54-120, Again this is awesome to see!!

Killing a large animal, for me, has an emotional impact that's quite personal and I always take a few minutes of time to spend with it. I thought I was alone in this habit....or need maybe a better word. With what's posted here I see I can expand what I do in the future, so thank you for further opening my eyes!

Nice rifle. I’ve always wanted a 99 in the 250-3000. My father in law recently bought a gun collection from a widow that has a 99E 308 that I’ll probably get from him. There is also a TC hawken I’ll probably get my hands on too, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrads on the Doe. Fine Eating right there! :yeah:

I see you darkened up the checkering on that 99 too, like the deer track checkering you did. Looks really cool that way. I had a friend that had one of those in .358win. Would love to have got my hands on it. But that little 250-3000 is a cool cartridge. I have a rifle in the Ackley version.

Latest posts

Back