Don't Neglect Encore Firing Pin

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently i was cleaning my Encore and noticed the firing pin was getting sticky.

The original TC action was not designed as a muzzleloader. They get crudded up internally from blow by from the 209 primers, especially the firing pin and spring. Today i stripped the rifle down to bare receiver, removed the breech face, firing pin and spring. Everything was very dirty. While the breech face was removed, i sprayed the action internally with ether starting fluid, black stuff ran out.

This is the second time i've done this since buying the rifle in 2005. Rifle has fired about 1,000 muzzleloader loads and three or four thousand centerfire rounds.

TC Thompson Center Encore Firing Pin Return Spring - YouTube

Guys forget this with the "just a better gun" also while raving about how easy it is to clean. Ive seen pics of a handful of rusted pins/bushings/springs posted. This takes just a few minutes with Knights such as the Extremes to remove the bolt internals and the rest of the rifle does not even need to come apart. No tools needed unless you have a very early model.

Break actions are a whole other matter and some can be a little bit of a PITA to take apart for a thorough cleaning and inspection.

Good advice! Made the mistake with my Omega when I started out also.

Good advice for sure. When I first got my Optima V2 pistol, I shot it several times and never thought about removing the firing pin, spring and bushing to clean it. I was looking through the book that comes with the pistol and just happened to see the section on removing and cleaning the firing pin. When I took it apart for the first time, man it was so dirty and gunked up. Not really hard to do but you just have remember to add it to your cleaning routine.

Good advice! Made the mistake with my Omega when I started out also.

Out of all the used Omegas I've had, there has only been one that had a clean action/ firing pin/ bushing. I'm sure some of the rifles I bought cheap were sold because of seized firing pins. This is really stupid. Omegas are easy to keep clean.

I got spoiled with my old Kahnke that fired #11 caps. I'd take the breechplug out once a year to make sure my regular soap and water routine was working. I drilled out a nipple an attached a hose to it. The hose goes into hot soapy water and the patch on the jag pulls the water up into the barrel. I run a brush down it a couple of times in case there is any sabot residue. Then a dry patch and oil. When I got my Accura V2, they recommend taking the firing pin out each session. PITA. I've never cleaned my Encore action. I guess it is time.

I always cleaned out the firing pin assembly/action when I had my Encore. It was a given for me, anything that collected crud got cleaned. Same with the Optima V2 rifle/pistol. When you clean it every time you shoot, it becomes second nature and much easier than putting it off. I will never understand that....

Same with the Optima V2 rifle/pistol. When you clean it every time you shoot, it becomes second nature and much easier than putting it off. I will never understand that....

Actually the Optima pistol is easier to clean when the barrel is removed. This might be a good time to suggest people spending the time and money for a clean shooting breech plug so as to eliminate a lot of this fiddling around. All of my CVAs have liner plugs and shoot as clean as can be. Every two cleanings I pull the firing pins and springs and clean whatever tiny amount of residue finds its way into the firing pin hole.

I do it almost every time i shoot my Knights but like i said its so easy especially if you got a good headspace on the primer. Its nearly spotless anyway and more for just inspection than a needed cleaning each time. Many of the Traditions rifles have no bushing and no simple way to make sure the firing pin assembly is clean. A couple of the newer models have a plate you can remove to get at the firing pin and spring.

Latest posts

Back