DROPPING A WHITE TAIL AT 200 - 300 YARDS

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Long shots are fun. I take care of coyotes for a few ranchers near me. I prefer a .243 for that. 300-500yd shots are pretty normal for that. I don't feel like it's hunting as much as just shooting. Not much different than shooting at the range.

For big game. Still hunting gives me the biggest smile. I like the idea that all the animals senses are in full force. Who can outsmart the other one is a fun challenge. I smile and say "good for you" when the game beat me. It wouldn't be a challenge if I always won.

Two different preparations for the hunts. For big game it's a ton of scouting and offhand shooting on woods walks. For the coyotes it's all done at the range.

Muley Hunter said:
...........Two different preparations for the hunts. For big game it's a ton of scouting and offhand shooting on woods walks. For the coyotes it's all done at the range.

Hunting conditions are different all over the country. Here in the mid-west states, properties can vary so much in size its rediculous. Anything from 5 acres to 500+ acres. Those large parcels are mostly agriculture, which very well might mean long shots. Scouting a 5 or 10 acre parcel doesn't take very long. The 240 we had was mostly ag with only 40 acres with woods or grass. It was extremely rare to get a shot of 100yds or less.
State lands? Oh goodness, that's another crazy pumkin patch topic.
What works in one part of the country, is impossible in other parts.

ENCORE50A said:
Muley Hunter said:
...........Two different preparations for the hunts. For big game it's a ton of scouting and offhand shooting on woods walks. For the coyotes it's all done at the range.

Hunting conditions are different all over the country. Here in the mid-west states, properties can vary so much in size its rediculous. Anything from 5 acres to 500+ acres. Those large parcels are mostly agriculture, which very well might mean long shots. Scouting a 5 or 10 acre parcel doesn't take very long. The 240 we had was mostly ag with only 40 acres with woods or grass. It was extremely rare to get a shot of 100yds or less.
State lands? Oh goodness, that's another crazy pumkin patch topic.
What works in one part of the country, is impossible in other parts.

I understand that. That's why I asked if he had any terrain he could sneak up on. He never answered that. I was just pointing out that he might have another option than long shots.

I don't have the patience to sit in a tree. I was lucky that my dad was into just still hunting, so I never had to experience just sitting. It's hard for me to sit long enough to eat my lunch when hunting. I may only be taking one step every 5min, but it's a step. Of course I move fast between hunting areas. I may have 10 spots on the mountain I want to get to in a day. It can wear an old guy out. At least I don't get fat. :D

@Lee: Are you saying at 200 an ADDITIONAL 3 inches is needed at 250 an ADDITIONAL 6 inches and at 300 and ADDITIONAL 12 inches or 3+6+12 for a total of 19 inches below for distances beyond 100 yards?

;[/quote]

Back