dumb question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ill take a stab at this and not be offended if someone corrects or modifies my response.

The twist in your rifle is more for a saboted bullet or a conical. They really aren't expecting you to use PRB. I have not done so but I believe there are fellows here that do use a PRB but I think they reduce the loads of powder to get accuracy. Im sure someone will offer load information on a PRB you can get started with.

The conical or Minie. The companies warn that if a conical or minie is not tightly seated against the powder it oould cause improper and dangerous powder burn. (explosion) This can be prevented by making sure your conical or minie is tightly seated against the powder. The concern is the conical or minie may be bumped off of the powder and create a hazard. Make sure you have a proper fitting conical or minie that will not get bumped off of the powder and you should be fine.

I think there are a large number of folks here shooting conicals. I have many versions of conicals and have shot lots of them.

I bought a Buckstalker probably 20 years ago when they first came out. For my setup, I only shot the Thompson Center Maxi Hunters, 275 grain bullets.
I took 3 or 4 deer with it.
I don't know what, if anything is different with today's model Buckstalker or why they only recommend saboted bullets.
Under certain conditions, a lead conical bullet can walk off the powder charge. Especially if you're carrying the gun around the woods. You can bump and shake the gun without realizing.
When I'm hunting, I will take the ramrod and push it down the barrel to reseat the charge. Just to check. Once in a while, I have felt that the bullet has indeed move up a tiny bit.
When using sabots, I don't think they ever moved.

Back