Encore/Omega breech plugs

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well even though it has a flat face it would be no problem to dish it out but don't really think its necessary. I never looked at all the pucs and just took Jeff's word that it was for the Encore and Omega.

My next project is to make vent liners for one of the older breech plugs. Debating wether to buy vent liners or make them myself. Anyone go this route?

Making them is tricky, but can be done. Myself have been making them from Holo-Krome screws.

G_0527.jpg

G_0528.jpg

Been using 0.030" drills, and they will break or dull quickly if too much pressure, or too little pressure is used. Sometimes one can make 15 vent liners from one drill, other times one only gets one vent liner from one drill or even none.

Drills made in USA seem to work a tad better than Chinese imports.

Well even though it has a flat face it would be no problem to dish it out but don't really think its necessary. I never looked at all the pucs and just took Jeff's word that it was for the Encore and Omega.
I’m sure it will work and that Jeff has a good reason for making them that way. Maybe it allows a longer flash hole section which would resist erosion longer? 🤷🏻‍♂️ He ought to just put vent liners in them from the get go.

5pI’m sure it will work and that Jeff has a good reason for making them that way. Maybe it allows a longer flash hole section which would resist erosion longer? 🤷🏻‍♂️ He ought to just put vent liners in them from the get go.
My thoughts on vent liners is it will keep my existing muzzleloaders & breech plugs operational even after the possibility of having these parts discontinued.

Forgive me for not searching through the posts on this.

I’m sure it will work and that Jeff has a good reason for making them that way. Maybe it allows a longer flash hole section which would resist erosion longer?

Me, i am not so sure the breech plugs with the flat face will work igniting Blackhorn powder. CVA plugs looked like this, and they were not reliable igniting Blackhorn unless the flash hole was enlarged to about 0.035". Perhaps the Hankins plug has a 0.035" flash hole; if so it will work.

Perhaps one can recall that Western Powders made a plug reliable for igniting Blackhorn by making the face Concave and copying the internal dimensions of the Omega breech plug with the concave face.

Me, i am not so sure the breech plugs with the flat face will work igniting Blackhorn powder. CVA plugs looked like this, and they were not reliable igniting Blackhorn unless the flash hole was enlarged to about 0.035".

It took all of ten shots with a CVA original plug to determine the BH209 shot for crap. I converted every one of my original plugs to use ventliners in a recessed plug face. Zero issues since, regardless of temps or charge or sabot brand as long as a full strength primer was used..

For me the OEM Omega breech plug is useless now that one can no longer purchase a box of 1000 W209 with several longer than 0.33". The OEM plugs are too short to make a seal using the current longest available primers.

The only breech plugs that work for me using shotgun primers, are the custom Bestill plug, or the adjustable Woodman plug. Both plugs provide a perfect seal; perfect ignition; in my Omega rifles.
Ron can't you shim the primer pockets or use O-rings?

The depth of the Omega breech plug primer socket isn't deep enough as it comes from the factory, in my opinion. Shimming it makes it less deep i.e. even worse.

No, i cannot bring myself to shim a primer socket already too shallow. In my opinion, shimming the Omega primer socket is a gunny sack fix. Especially since both Jeff Fisk, and Mark Woodman sell Omega breech plugs with much deeper primer sockets that can be made to fit my Omega rifles perfectly for my primer of choice, without needing shims.

The depth of the Omega breech plug primer socket isn't deep enough as it comes from the factory, in my opinion. Shimming it makes it less deep i.e. even worse.

No, i cannot bring myself to shim a primer socket already too shallow. In my opinion, shimming the Omega primer socket is a gunny sack fix. Especially since both Jeff Fisk, and Mark Woodman sell Omega breech plugs with much deeper primer sockets that can be made to fit my Omega rifles perfectly for my primer of choice, without needing shims.
Ron, I have to say that the breech plug you made for me years ago, by converting an OEM plug that was worn out, works pretty great. I use the Lehigh/SSK ventliners which last a LONG time. You also reamed out the primer socket to allow for a little rubber o-ring to help seal the primer from any significant blow back. One o-ring is easily good for a long range session and the bag I have of them will likely last my lifetime. As such, I can't justify the $100+ cost of a Woodsman or Bestill plug.

Latest posts

Back