End of an era?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Straightwall really is a great concept for new/youth hunters to provide somewhat cheaper practice & less recoil to build confidence. Reduced loads in our beloved smokepoles could do the same thing but many are afraid of the logistics not having come up in a time without cell phones & tablets haha. Whatever it takes to get new blood involved to appreciate & protect what the bureaucratic turds keep trying to chip away at.

I hope that Ohio doesn't do away with muzzleloader season! I got into muzzleloader hunting in the 90s so I could have some extra hunting time in the woods! It didn't take long to learn that the muzzleloader was much more accurate than a 12ga shotgun! I hunt with my muzzleloader during all the firearms seasons and muzzleloader season!

I have found through my life, that what i hunt with n what another hunts with. Won't mess either up of our hunts. People get all up in the air about what another uses to hunt with. I am not handicapped at all hunting with my ML's or crossbows. I learned from my Pa as a boy i am never in competition with anyone while i am hunting. I am matching myself against my game i am hunting.

I’m glad Md did the primitive hunt, I’m usually off at that time. I know Pa was always Flintlock since 1974 but in 2002 they started an early season for inlines. Recently they added an early muzzleloader Bear season in October. I’ve gone for the early Bear that last 2 years never got a shot but seen some hammer bucks. I don’t think it’s lost either.

The straightwall crowd are the guys mostly in it for the extended season, and never really liked the whole muzzleloader idea. The guys whose muzzleloaders were always rusted up in just a few years from abuse and neglect. Im ok with it, whatever gets you in the game.
The muzzleloader guys are the ones who like to tinker, and look at like a single shot handload.
The downside is, the whole muzzleloader world takes a drop in people, manufacturers loose a good chip out of sales. this will affect a lot of R&D, new models, drop of production, and probable loss of several available options.

I have found through my life, that what i hunt with n what another hunts with. Won't mess either up of our hunts. People get all up in the air about what another uses to hunt with. I am not handicapped at all hunting with my ML's or crossbows. I learned from my Pa as a boy i am never in competition with anyone while i am hunting. I am matching myself against my game i am hunting.
Well said, if you’re competing with others you’re out there for the wrong reasons. I just hate that a sport that started out needing to get close to what you are hunting is turning into long range hunting. I feel like the real skill is the stock not a five hundred yard shot. I took my bull of a lifetime at 69 yards and that’s what I’m most proud of.

The straightwall crowd are the guys mostly in it for the extended season, and never really liked the whole muzzleloader idea. The guys whose muzzleloaders were always rusted up in just a few years from abuse and neglect. Im ok with it, whatever gets you in the game.
The muzzleloader guys are the ones who like to tinker, and look at like a single shot handload.
The downside is, the whole muzzleloader world takes a drop in people, manufacturers loose a good chip out of sales. this will affect a lot of R&D, new models, drop of production, and probable loss of several available options.
Respectfully I could not disagree more. For the record I enjoy all methods of hunting and use ML, straight wall, crossbow and vertical bow. Those guys that you describe as the "straightwall crowd" are fellow American hunters who love to hunt and shoot.

The "guys" that let there muzzleloaders get, "rusted up in just a few years from abuse and neglect" were never into muzzleloading to begin with because if they were they would have taken care of their rifles. Those people are better off switching to straight wall and good for them. I think the straight wall crowd as you describe them are hunters who simply want to enjoy straight wall cartridges for hunting and nothing more.

I seriously doubt the "muzzleloader world" will take a noticeable drop in people nor will it affect R&D or any of the other scenarios you have expressed. I mean no disrespect but we really should not denigrate fellow sportsmen and women by questioning their motives or how you may personally feel about them. You either love ML's or you don't and that's fine with me.

I stopped hunting with modern rifles a long time ago and started using revolvers for hunting. I had started off with muzzleloaders in the 1960s and still used them on occasion. From there I started hunting with muzzleloaders exclusively and flintlocks specifically. I never gave a thought to what others might be using because my success routinely equaled or surpassed those using other things. I used nothing but the patched round ball focusing on my .45 longrifle. That's how I hunted all the seasons, flint & BP. I had to quit hunting several years ago but have enough memories to last from now on.

Well said, if you’re competing with others you’re out there for the wrong reasons. I just hate that a sport that started out needing to get close to what you are hunting is turning into long range hunting. I feel like the real skill is the stock not a five hundred yard shot. I took my bull of a lifetime at 69 yards and that’s what I’m most proud of.
What many don't understand, is that the western states and hunting elk is the lowest percentage of animals hunted. Move from the west, even hunting whitetail and move eastward, EVERYTHING changes. You may have 240 acres of property to hunt, most of it wide open agricultural property, and neighbors that are either PETA folks, or just don't allow hunting. There's a problem. Although most hunting shots are not 500yds, when there's nothing between neighbors but a hedge row, a hunter may never get close. Good hunters practice at the maximum ranges they hunt.

Y'all just think about what we are talking about. My enjoyment is in my hunting not killing. Its what i like to do, i like to get up close n personal with the tick toters. I know some will say but your putting a scope or red dot on your ML's. I need to see what i am going to put into my freezer when i do squeeze the trigger. You see i am not in the killing per say. I want to make a clean one shot kill. I don't own a CF anything & have not done so for years. I am so pumped cause my State has a 3 day antlerless season Oct. 6-7-8. Can you say Flintlock time. How great will it be for me to get one with it, Fantastic ! I have a sml & the T/C Black Diamond, i used the Black Diamond for the 1st time in at least a dz. years last year. Its all cleaned up so if i want to use it say in 2030 i can. Same deal with my sml. I don't care a fig about using it to hunt with just target shooting.

Respectfully I could not disagree more. For the record I enjoy all methods of hunting and use ML, straight wall, crossbow and vertical bow. Those guys that you describe as the "straightwall crowd" are fellow American hunters who love to hunt and shoot.

The "guys" that let there muzzleloaders get, "rusted up in just a few years from abuse and neglect" were never into muzzleloading to begin with because if they were they would have taken care of their rifles. Those people are better off switching to straight wall and good for them. I think the straight wall crowd as you describe them are hunters who simply want to enjoy straight wall cartridges for hunting and nothing more.

I seriously doubt the "muzzleloader world" will take a noticeable drop in people nor will it affect R&D or any of the other scenarios you have expressed. I mean no disrespect but we really should not denigrate fellow sportsmen and women by questioning their motives or how you may personally feel about them. You either love ML's or you don't and that's fine with me.
Might want to read that over again. I explained my views there. Of course there are always exceptions, but by and large, Its true. There are those that like muzzleloaders, and those just interested in means to extend their season. And If you hadnt noticed a drop in hunting/shooting nationwide for decades, check again, especially in percentage of population

Last edited:
Might want to read that over again. I explained my views there. Of course there are always exceptions, but by and large, Its true. There are those that like muzzleloaders, and those just interested in means to extend their season. And If you hadnt noticed a drop in hunting/shooting nationwide for decades, check again, especially in percentage of population
I apologize if I have offended you as that was not my intention. I read your post several times and I believe you have painted with a very broad brush when describing the "straightwall crowd". I took your post as a swipe towards those who choose to hunt using straight wall firearms.

You said regarding the use of straight wall cartridges, "The downside is, the whole muzzleloader world takes a drop...". That was a very specific assumption that I disagreed with but if you are now claiming there is a drop in hunting/shooting in general then yes, I agree with you. I just don't believe that straight wall cartridges are going to have any noticeable impact on muzzleloading numbers specifically as you originally claimed. I understand those are your views and I respect your views. I just disagree with your opinion regarding straight wall shooters and their impact on the muzzleloading industry. If I misunderstood your post then please forgive me.

I will stand by my belief that we should embrace all legal forms of hunting and those that choose to participate in those alternative forms of hunting should never be disparaged.

As far back as I can remember, I’ve loved guns & bows I have loved hunting. It didn’t matter which season it was or which weapon I was using. Being in the woods and being able to relax and absorb nature, is what matters the most…..to me.
I’m very selective about what I shoot and I only deer hunt. If I harvest an animal, it’s truly a bonus.
What I harvest it with, doesn’t mean much.
I’ve got smokeless muzzleloaders, regular, in-line muzzleloader‘s, and straight wall rifles. I sold my slug guns years ago & hunted with a muzzleloader.
I spent more hours than I can count at the range with muzzleloaders doing bullet testing and load development for various bullet manufacturers & I loved every minute of it.
Now when it rolls around to gun season and what is still called muzzleloading season in Michigan, I Hunt with CVA Scouts, chambered in either 44 magnum or 450 bushmaster, and I have a Franchi Elite 350 legend.
So, in my mind, it doesn’t matter. Use what’s legal, use what you like, let the next guy use what they like, don’t waste time arguing about it.
Life is way too short to be wasted on pointless arguments.

Greg

Just wondering if the recent boom, no pun intended, in straight case rounds being permitted in special regs states/ areas will severely impact the development, value and use of inline muzzleloaders.
Used inlines, never an easy sell in a retail setting, are going for a song around here. Most shops won't even buy them, especially if they don't use a 209 primer.
For those of us who appreciate the finer things, this may turn into a golden opportunity to pick up rifles we've always wanted, but maybe couldn't find or afford.
Thoughts?
It has been a golden era for me i picked up a few inlines for less then a c note. I have them as loners and God willing when I have kids and if im still live in this state, each one will have a muzzleloader,bolt action 22 and a single shot shotgun from thier dad.

Every time "they" change a rule, some guys will try and succeed to get around the rule. Missouri now has legalized spear chucking at critters. You can buy spears at the Farm & Home Store. At least straight wall rules will result in humane kills, unlike viral photos of spotty-coated fawns crawling through the brush with a spear sticking out of them. (Hasn't happened that I know of.) I'm all for more humane kills. Short of requiring hunters to pass an aptitude test, improving equipment is a viable option.

Slob hunters, poachers, game thieves will always be among us. Sportsmanship, ethics, and fair chase are internally possessed, not universally enforceable regardless of good intentions. Take your boy hunting instead of hunting your boy.

Latest posts

Back