Factory Second Muzzleloading Bullets ???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2nds are typically just a discoloration that didn't come off in the wash cycle of the bullet making process.

Overruns will be excess and usually sold as such.

I’ve never shot muzzleloader blems, but all I shoot in my handloaded centerfire rifle ammo is blems. The shoot great, kill efficiently, and are a cheap.

this is just an example of some i found ..... but are folks typically happy with FS bullets ?
are they only for folks that shoot short range or casual plinking ?
or do ya just not know till you try them in a specific gun ?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010423375?pid=122974

I'd only shoot FS bullets or blems at short ranges. You just dont know from one bullet to the next where they might hit bc if that defect. For close range hunting & plinking, heck yeah use them. A few yrs ago, I shot up 50-60 Parker 250gr BE's blems with no issues, but only shot them at paper, following my own advice & not trusting them from one bullet to the next enough to hunt with them.

I'd only shoot FS bullets or blems at short ranges. You just dont know from one bullet to the next where they might hit bc if that defect. For close range hunting & plinking, heck yeah use them. A few yrs ago, I shot up 50-60 Parker 250gr BE's blems with no issues, but only shot them at paper, following my own advice & not trusting them from one bullet to the next enough to hunt with them.

All depends on why they were marked as seconds.... Could even be something like PSA where a large majority of their "blemished" items are really a way for them to sell below MSRP

I had a metallurgist check the "blems", or rather the UF Whitetail Medicine bullet. Everything was checked from jacket thickness measurements to hardness.
Other than the tip color, they are identical to the SST.

WM and SST bullet thickness photo.jpg

I just took a photo of the only one I have left. That's the blue box they came in.

Whitetail Medicine bullet.jpg

7B749CD5-17C5-4B23-AD59-23B4255B03C7.jpegE5FCEB30-F24B-4C18-A2D9-E2F4DDFBE736.jpeg
Federal BOR lock seconds. This guy never knew the difference.

You can actually see where the bullet is on the ek pic. It was just under skin on left side. See the little tent over the ribs?

Back