Family truck needs a timing chain

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Its getting time to replace the water pump and timing chain on our 91 f250 with the 7.5 (460) and I am really stuck in a hard spot. Already bought the water pump off of ford ( tired of autozone stuff) and now its time to look for a timing chain. I'd really like to get a heavier duty double roller for when i'm pulling the camper during hunting season.

Anyone know of a quality brand timing chain set for this motor?

Really want to get all the new parts in during the spring when its warmer out and the sun is up a little longer.

I had lots of trouble over the years with after-market water pumps failing in a short time after installation. Original equipment is the way to go when replacing water pumps.

I never kept a truck long enough for a timing chain to go out. However, the Japanese vehicles need their timing belts replaced at regular intervals to avoid a potential motor job when they break and the pistons hit the valves.

Cloyes used to make good timing chain and gear sets. Mechanics tell me they are now made in China and the quality is gone.

Melling timing chains and gears are still made in the USA. Melling makes good stuff.

How many miles are on the truck? That's how long the stock parts lasted. I'd use the stock parts. 

Pulling a trailer doesn't put any more strain on a timing chain.

thats the problem. Ford no longer offers timing chains due to the age. It has under 120k on it. High rpm and a sloppy timing chain = bad things. I lost one engine in a bmw i had when i was younger when it got sloppy. Not worth the chance.

I didn't say to not fix it. Buy an American made chain.

You might check speed shops for a more HD version.

Latest posts

Back