Federal 50 caliber Copper Muzzleloading Bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
went lookin at cabellas. the price on those federals is pretty high, but I saw some "new" reminton accutips for ML http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoo...nknown;cat104792580;cat104701680;cat104547780

the savage 220 guys by me (a slug only state, no CF) swear by them. I think its more for accuracy than ballistics/expansion, but want to order some anyway. they were on backorder there too, so haven't yet. I already have this years load and gun decided on, but another excuse for a range day is always a good thing.

edit: on second glance, it says for rem 700 ML only.. still want to try
after some research, its a barnes T-EZ 250... :oops:

I'd only consider the federals if I was going to hunt the muzzleloader season here which is no sabots.

I find it easier to just hunt the rifle seasons so I can use any bullet, and a scope.

What did i learn today?

txhunter58 stirred me to wonder how the Dream Season would shoot other concicals. There was an opened box of Maxihunters on the shelf, with 6 bullets in it. Loaded the rifle with powder, and a maxihunter, and primed the rifle with Federal 215 large rifle magnum primer. The first shot at the middle target was taken at 93 yard; it missed everything. The target was moved closer into 56 yard, and the other 5 maxihunters were loaded, and shot at the middle target.

P1040042.JPG

The breeze was light so it seemed it might be worth trying the Federal Bullet at 200 yard. The breeze on the ridge top where i set the target for a 200 yard shot wasn't too bad either, so 3 shots were taken at the top target. The breeze was right to left, so the aim was the right edge of the red circle, and the elevation dial was twisted up 7 moa.

Ordered some tonight (feds that is ) from Cabelas. Hope they shoot well from at least one of my Rems. Report hopefully to follow next week .

Ron

Does your Dream Season still have its QLA? Before I cut it off my Omega it threw Maxi Hunters and every other kind of conical all over the place. Now it shoots them great.

Yes, when the first shot today missed everything, my first thought was the QLA was the problem. After shortening the range, the five remaining maxi hit the paper; three of them are in the center, and even touching. The old X7 threw conicals all over, and the target looked like it was shot with a shotgun, even at 25 yard. So the QLA was removed; then it shot conicals nearly moa at 100 yard. What happened today wasn't like the old X7 scattering bullets like a shotgun. Those bullet holes touching, perplexed me, and i couldn't even think about it for awhile. Later on, thinking about it, makes me think it was inconsistent ignition causing the problems today, not the QLA. The maxi bullets went down the barrel very very very loose, and they don't have the hoober doober, like the Federal do, which is supposed to create a seal right away at ignition.

It seems more shooting is required before a strong conclusion can be made.

Yes, to loose can be a problem. I also would worry about the bullet rising up off the powder charge some while the gun is being handled, like while out hunting. On top of that one always reads how B209 powder prefers a firmly seated bullet. Just another reason that if the regs allow, a saboted bullet is often easier to deal with.

One more thing to add about the fed bullets if you shoot long range. I saw one test shooting into water bottles (milk jugs). Expansion was good, and looked like a Barnes at 100yds. At 200 yds it didn't expand at all. Not good.

Time allowing, what i will do is try using a wad, and switching from rifle primers to a magnum shotgun primer, and using a breech plug with a 5/32" flame channel, and a vent liner with a 0.035" flash hole. This could confirm that erratic ignition is what caused the first bullet to miss the back stop. Oh, and perhaps starting with a fouled barrel will tighten the way the maxi fit in the barrel.

Give them a water jug test if you get the chance Ron. Maybe the delay in production was to fix the poor expansion at long distance.

Am awaiting sister to drink more milk. Am worried about winging jugs at 200 yard, and wasting them. Hunting season is upon us. Perhaps a reduced load at point blank range would work? Don't have a good level spot out 200 yard to place jugs. Maybe can build a platform. Wind is an issue. Seems a chronograph, and a reduced load could duplicate 200 yard speeds at a level spot at close range. Will do my best Pete.. will try as hard as i could.

150 yard would have less wind drift, but there is no flat spot there either. What is happening up where i used to shoot, is road building and logging.

The literature included with the bullets say when the load is 120g Blackhorn, they will be flying at 1358 fps when they reach 200 yard.

There is a real nice level spot for me to set jugs at 20-40 yard, so all i have to do, to replicate the 200 yard impact, is load the rifle with a powder charge that gives about 1450 fps to the bullet at the muzzle. Then set up the chronograph, and test the loads. Then set up a sawhorse, line up the jugs, smuck the nicely lined up level jugs dead center at 25 yard or so. Am guessing about 65g Blackhorn. Seems that should work good, 'eh Pete? Hope so.. waiting for jugs.

Latest posts

Back