Finally got a deer with my Paramount!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven’t had many chances to hunt this year, crazy 2020.......but I did finally get a shot on this big ole nanny this afternoon. View attachment 11467
Congrats man on your first Paramount kill. I got my Paramount last Nov & I was elated with my first deer down with it. I see that you just joined the group too. Welcome, hope ya enjoy your time & experience here. I've only been in here for a lil over a yr myself.

I really like this group a lot, I’ve done a little bit of browsing around and there’s definitely a wealth of knowledge. It’s also nice to be able to talk to like minded people, most of the people around me aren’t really in to muzzleloading. Thank you guys!!!

I really like this group a lot, I’ve done a little bit of browsing around and there’s definitely a wealth of knowledge. It’s also nice to be able to talk to like minded people, most of the people around me aren’t really in to muzzleloading. Thank you guys!!!
Awesome man, glad to hear you're enjoying the group. What scope is that? I put a Viper PST Gen2 5-25x50 FFP IR MOA on a DNZ Game Reaper 1 piece mount/rings. - NO RAIL needed. The gun is really heavy = 12lb-ish & it's a fantastic gun, but it doesn't need a scope like this on it. A good 3-15 or 4-16x44 are both much better suited scopes for what the gun can actually do IMHO. Are you shooting the PB 280gr ELR's? They are devastating on a deer body. I'm shooting 275gr Fury ST2P bullets sized to .453 in mine. I put a titanium 5 port Beast Brake =3ozs on mine as well. Well worth every cent.

Good job! I am not familiar with that tripod and rifle mount. What is that? My dad has one that is more of a cradle design but it snags in the brush. I bet he would love that design better! (And then I could borrow it!)

Good job! I am not familiar with that tripod and rifle mount. What is that? My dad has one that is more of a cradle design but it snags in the brush. I bet he would love that design better! (And then I could borrow it!)
It’s a bog pod death grip, I really bought for when our son and other kiddos hunt with us. I really like but it’s a bit on the heavy side. If I’m moving around a lot I use a trigger stick. I like having a rest with me when I’m hunting, we have a lot of bean fields around our house.CDAE3244-F500-407B-81A7-948F04EE9C52.jpeg

Last edited:
Awesome man, glad to hear you're enjoying the group. What scope is that? I put a Viper PST Gen2 5-25x50 FFP IR MOA on a DNZ Game Reaper 1 piece mount/rings. - NO RAIL needed. The gun is really heavy = 12lb-ish & it's a fantastic gun, but it doesn't need a scope like this on it. A good 3-15 or 4-16x44 are both much better suited scopes for what the gun can actually do IMHO. Are you shooting the PB 280gr ELR's? They are devastating on a deer body. I'm shooting 275gr Fury ST2P bullets sized to .453 in mine. I put a titanium 5 port Beast Brake =3ozs on mine as well. Well worth every cent.
It’s a Vortex Viper PST GEN ll 5-25 and I agree on it being too much scope for the rifle. With that being said we like to hunt mule deer wherever we can draw a tag, so it may come in handy. Right now I’m just shooting the PB Elr, I just got the rifle on Tuesday, and had just enough time this week to chrono and shoot it out to 300, I’m actually shooting around 2425 FPS. That was through a Caldwell that I had laying around. My Kestrel seems to agree with that speed as I shot it at different distances with what it prescribed. I think I’m gonna try a different chrono and see if that is true speed. That little pill knocked the snot out of that big doe, like she went never moved a muscle after that shot!! Lol! My hearing isn’t very good so I actually opted for the 2019 model that wasn’t threaded. I was shooting a Vortek Strikerfire LDR before this rifle.

Interesting never heard of too much scope, can't hit what you don't see

Back