First day!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpsman

Reaction score
Had good day other than the back giving me a problem! Couldn't bend down for photo so just stood. Bird had 10" beard and weighed 20# with good spurs. Probably four years old. My buddy Dave and I sat in same blind I took the gobbler on right and he the left. He shot two seconds after my shot! Got two tags so tomorrow is another day!

https://www.flickr.com/gp/61286670@N08/Mh8B1Q

https://flic.kr/p/G13zdc

Second day:

26880224305_710bfaed00_b.jpg
Untitled by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

This ole boy came down a ridge top about 400 yards east of where I had set up in a cedar thicket  walking as slow as an old man, headed north. Two deer spooked him at first then he continued on his way north. I gave him some yelps and a cutting call but he didn't even stop. Wind was blowing out of the south about 35 mph but I know he heard my call. He walked over a saddle in the hillside...out of sight. One hour later....here he comes back after he rounded the ridge....every 20 yards he'd blow up and strut his stuff! He continued down the ridge and I hit him with a few yelps and he stopped and looked in my direction...and gobbled! I KNEW THEN....he was going to come and investigate. He disappeared behind a ridge but continued to gobble. I could tell he was closer. I had a dummy set up about 30 yards east of where I was sitting and he continued to gobble and head my way. There was a fence line 65 yards east of where I was sitting and when he came into view he was adjacent to the fence on the east side of it! He stopped....looked...and started to continue north down the fence line and that's when I gave him a dose of <a href='/tags/4' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #4'>#4</a> shot from a 3 1/2" Mag, 2 oz. worth. At the shot he went down like he'd been pole-axed. Weighed 20 pounds with 11" beard! I was a happy camper! Son Brandon is in the photo with me. As a possible point of interest....with the wind the way it was blowing full value I held at least 18-20" into the wind to account for the shot drift. And if you don't believe a strong wind will drift shot.....test it out sometime!!

:cheers: :Salute: :cheers:

Latest posts

Back