First ML, Knight Mountaineer vs CVA Optima V2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judd1980

Reaction score
Hello all,

Dipping my toes into the muzzleloader world to extend my archery and shotgun deer seasons.

I’ve read plenty about CVA and Knight and am torn. Knight has the mountaineer on sale for $550 and puts it price wise not too far from the CVA. I realize the Knight is a 52 cal and that brings other items to consider.

For a first muzzleloader, would anyone steer me in either direction?

thank you all!

If i were in your shoes i would go with a used Optima. Its a simpler gun to clean, maintain and start shooting, and .50 cal will allow off the shelf bullet selection. If you decide its not for you then reselling an Optima might be easier. You may find that the Optima is an awesome gun. I have several knights and they are excellent guns that i love but if a knight were my first ML i might have been a little put off or overwhelmed by it. Or maybe not. Toe dipping to me would mean something like the optima.

Easy choice for the beginner..... the CVA.
You always want to start-off with the most options available to you. (In this case)....That's the 50-cal muzzloader. Shooting Supplies are much more plentiful and you picked a gun with a good reputation / history.

Congrats and welcome to this sport. Myself?..... I decided to start cheap in 1992 and if it were today (2022), probably would have chosen either the T/C Impact or the CVA Wolf.

If I continued to love the sport in years 2 and 3, then I would have graduated to the mid-level guns. Some of the beginner MLs are what some newbies continue to use in years 2.3.4....etc. Why?.... because they fit our bodies well and shoot well too, despite being a value, price-driven ML.

Either the Wolf or the Impact can still operate well and still be fun to shoot, even in year #10.
Happy Holidays to you.

optima v2s can be had for much less than $550 .

basic stainless Ov2 is $270
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1763210978?pid=210978
Ov2/LR thumbhole stock with nitride and cerakote is $385
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1023221419?pid=655353
Ov2 with just nitride is $380
https://muzzle-loaders.com/collecti...ers/products/cvatm-optima-v2-nitride-pr2023nm
that .52 knight is gonna limit you to just .457 and ,475 diameter bullets because knight doesn't make .52 sabots for other diameter bullets for their .52 and nobody else does either . and you'll need to keep a supply of their plastic primer jackets or get their bare primer kit and you'll need to buy a scope rail for it also unless you stick with open sights . GM54-120 will probably show up and share a link to that primer bolt/kit for a LOT LESS that knight sells it for . but you can change barrel calibers to 45 or 50 for about $350 and that's a very cool option IMO . and the knights have better quality components and craftsmanship than CVAs .......at a higher price point .

decisions , decisions , decisions .......

Man, glad I joined, very helpful group!

You guys are kinda reinforcing what I knew in the back of my mind…. I’m going for the cva and in the future a Woodman Patriot! 😀

i went CVA also because someone wanted to get me one for christmas . i considered the knight 45 and the 45 1:18 patriot but the added cost to get a 45 knight setup and the 20 weeks wait for a patriot made my choice . i'm almost as new as baby poop to MLing but that patriot seems superior to the knights for less money , but that wait time :( .

I recently bought an Optima and I'm very happy with it. I like that you can buy .50 stuff at Walmart, and most gun shops. You can get bullets off the shelf if you forget them at home.

The rifle shoots better than I can, and I consider myself an okay shot.

I've heard nothing but good things about Knight rifles, but for my first ML, I would go with the CVA, just for the ease of getting parts and accessories.

I own one of the first Black Knight .50 calibers to hit the shelves. Haven't done much with it but I do know that after setting up and working up a load for a new Optima V2 for my son, the Optima wins hands down. The screw in breech plug is awesome to say the least. Makes it sooooo much easier to clean the rifle and know that it is completely clean. The thumb hole stock is a nice feature as well.

I haven't worked up a load for the Black Knight yet (as I gave it to my dad before I moved back out west) and now that I have it back, I plan on doing so. Therefore, I cannot give a comparison between the two rifles, in terms of accuracy.

I will say that I am impressed with the Optima.

Steer you? Only thing I will state is you have to decide which one, for the money has the practical every hunt use. Does it have the bells and sirens that blow your mind and make you giggle? And get that one.As far as Knight VS CVA at an entry level cost pretty much an equal match.

optima v2s can be had for much less than $550 .

basic stainless Ov2 is $270
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1763210978?pid=210978
Ov2/LR thumbhole stock with nitride and cerakote is $385
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1023221419?pid=655353
Ov2 with just nitride is $380
https://muzzle-loaders.com/collecti...ers/products/cvatm-optima-v2-nitride-pr2023nm
that .52 knight is gonna limit you to just .457 and ,475 diameter bullets because knight doesn't make .52 sabots for other diameter bullets for their .52 and nobody else does either . and you'll need to keep a supply of their plastic primer jackets or get their bare primer kit and you'll need to buy a scope rail for it also unless you stick with open sights . GM54-120 will probably show up and share a link to that primer bolt/kit for a LOT LESS that knight sells it for . but you can change barrel calibers to 45 or 50 for about $350 and that's a very cool option IMO . and the knights have better quality components and craftsmanship than CVAs .......at a higher price point .

decisions , decisions , decisions .......
The mountaineer comes in 45, 50, and 52 caliber. Your not limited to just 52 caliber.

I have a Mountaineer and a CVA Accura. For what you're looking for, hands down the CVA V2. The Mountaineer, a good rifle itsself, is a lot heavier than the Optima.

Last edited:
Back