First Muzzy Purchase: CVA vs. Knight... Advice and Reviews!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleaning either rifle is a non factor in my opinion. I have a break barrel ML and a Knight and I see no issues cleaning either. I have screw in bore guides for both rifles that make cleaning simple and a lot less messy.
Which bore guides are you using for cleaning?
TYIA

Also, the 52 DEs are the most gun you can buy for the money if larger than deer game is a possibility - 375 grns @ 1900+ fps up to 535 grains @ 1650 fps (w/ RS or 777). I've got an email from Knight Tech stating any weight bullet the twist will stabilize is safe to shoot with max recommended powder charges.
Thinking of pulling the trigger on my 52 with 150 grains of powder and a 530 grain parker makes me develop a flinch just thinking about it.
Ooooh... I thought it was referring to the molds... What do you use for those?

Know of any commercially available .52 cal bullets? Would need to be full bore for CO hunting.
Besides the parkers previously mentioned, there are these on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4016299482...-8cfc-f6405a64805e|iid:1|vlpname:vlp_homepage

Make any decisions MtnMan????

As always the gun is only as good as the guy shooting it. Pick one, select the appropriate projectile, put your time in finding an accurate load, Go kill something.
I've decided... I'm going with a Knight. In order, I'd prefer a UL in 45, then a mountaineer in 45, then the Disc(52).

That said, I'm not in a rush, so I'm saving and seeing if anything comes up used before I buy new. Most likely won't need it until Nebraska in December. I'm also getting married this summer, so I'm trying to decide how not subtly to mention a new muzzy as a gift idea to my groomsmen... 😅

Once I get it, I'll post the setup and load development journey for anyone that's interested.

You may want to give some serious thought to bullet(s) before settling on a caliber/twist rate. If you’re considering many of the popular modern full-bore bullets (like Hornady Bore Drivers/ELDX, Federal BOR Locks, Thors, Fury Universals), those are offered only in .50 at this time.

In .45, you’ll be looking at lead conicals, sized .45 jacketed bullets (maybe), Powerbelts (☹️) and saboted bullets (outside CO). Thor is supposed to be bringing out a .45 bullet this year. That should be a great option -whenever its available.

You may want to give some serious thought to bullet(s) before settling on a caliber/twist rate. If you’re considering many of the popular modern full-bore bullets (like Hornady Bore Drivers/ELDX, Federal BOR Locks, Thors, Fury Universals), those are offered only in .50 at this time.

In .45, you’ll be looking at lead conicals, sized .45 jacketed bullets (maybe), Powerbelts (☹️) and saboted bullets (outside CO). Thor is supposed to be bringing out a .45 bullet this year. That should be a great option -whenever its available.
Yeah... I've already accepted that. Went down the rabbit hole looking at casting my own, but I don't think I'm quite ready for that yet, down the road perhaps. There's enough out there for .45 that I can try a few and see what the gun likes... Or fail miserably and trade for a 50!

Yeah... I've already accepted that. Went down the rabbit hole looking at casting my own, but I don't think I'm quite ready for that yet, down the road perhaps. There's enough out there for .45 that I can try a few and see what the gun likes... Or fail miserably and trade for a 50!
Yeah or keep whatever you buy and add 15 or 20 more options to the safe….😁

Gunbroker is a good place to find smoke poles but you need to be careful not to get sucked into a bidding war. The Knights and especially those with laminated stocks tend to attract quite a few bids. People know what they are and want them. I ended up paying a bit more for the LK that I bought than I thought I might have to but it was worth it. Even at a hundo over my target it was still a steal and the gun had literally not been used.
I'm really careful with Armslist. It's not as safe a site now as it was 10 years ago.
The MH I recently bought was sitting in a local gun shop looking for a new home.
The advice from ElDiablo about the caliber is solid. I would not consider the 45. I would get the 50. Related to that thump, I always do a (safe) trigger job on these. I find that the lowest normal settings are short of where I want them to be. You will read that only a gunsmith can tweak these.... If you are careful and know your way around your trigger set, that is not the only option. If you do adjust the trigger, be sure to test it before you take it to the range or into the field.

I have a CVA Accura V2 and a Knight Moutaineer. I haven't killed anything with the Knight yet but I've taken several deer and hogs with the Accura - one at about 150 yards and DRT. If you're buying the rifle for hunting only and not serious target shooting I'd go with a CVA. Its lighter and easier to load. The difference in cleaning is not an issue. I don't see one easier to clean than the other. Knights are very good rifles but cost significantly more - too much IMO. I got mine just before the huge price jump.
With the right load combo my CVA will shoot right there alongside the Knight but the Knight always holds a slight edge which would mean diddly squat hunting.

Last edited:
Back