First Muzzy Purchase: CVA vs. Knight... Advice and Reviews!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a CVA Accura V2 and a Knight Moutaineer. I haven't killed anything with the Knight yet but I've taken several deer and hags with the Accura - one at about 150 yards and DRT. If you're buying the rifle for hunting only and not serious target shooting I'd go with a CVA. Its lighter and easier to load. The difference in cleaning is not an issue. I don't see one easier to clean than the other. Knights are very good rifles but cost significantly more - too much IMO. I got mine just before the huge price jump.
With the right load combo my CVA will shoot right there alongside the Knight but the Knight always holds a slight edge which would mean diddly squat hunting.
Is your CVA a .45 or .50?

I posted ^^^ before I read all the posts on this thread. It looks like you made your decision and are going with the Knight. So be it. I shoot bore riding bullets in my .45 Moutaineer. I have a Swinglock adjustable sizing die and size my bullets so they go down with a firm steady push. I shoot 250 gr Hornady SST bullets and with 68 gr BH209 (Wt) under MOA.
With the CVA Accura I shoot a 290 gr barnes TEZ at just about 1 MOA - so like I said above, the difference in accuracy in moot and that barnes bullet drops them quick.
good luck with whatever you get.
I will say the Knight Mountaineer is one heavy rifle. Not so the Accura. If you're to get a Knight for hunting I'd get the Ultra lite.

I posted ^^^ before I read all the posts on this thread. It looks like you made your decision and are going with the Knight. So be it. I shoot bore riding bullets in my .45 Moutaineer. I have a Swinglock adjustable sizing die and size my bullets so they go down with a firm steady push. I shoot 250 gr Hornady SST bullets and with 68 gr BH209 (Wt) under MOA.
With the CVA Accura I shoot a 290 gr barnes TEZ at just about 1 MOA - so like I said above, the difference in accuracy in moot and that barnes bullet drops them quick.
good luck with whatever you get.
No worries, I'm still just a sponge, soaking it all in, and it's never too early to start thinking about the next one... And the next, and the next... 😅

I have a CVA Accura V2 and a Knight Moutaineer. I haven't killed anything with the Knight yet but I've taken several deer and hags with the Accura - one at about 150 yards and DRT. If you're buying the rifle for hunting only and not serious target shooting I'd go with a CVA. Its lighter and easier to load. The difference in cleaning is not an issue. I don't see one easier to clean than the other. Knights are very good rifles but cost significantly more - too much IMO. I got mine just before the huge price jump.
With the right load combo my CVA will shoot right there alongside the Knight but the Knight always holds a slight edge which would mean diddly squat hunting.
Not to derail the thread but I'd definitely be interested in knowing where you got to muzzy hunt for hags. That sounds like fun.

I love my CVA optima.. But only cause it's my first muzzy and hooked me on the greatness of front stuffers. Besides that it's my least favorite weapon in my arsenal. The most likely to fail and first to be replaced when the wife stops spending my gun money. Buy a knight or woodman. Wish I would've purchased a sml capable first off and been happier for it.

South Carolina, forget with who. Unless you're being funny and talking about my typo.

Embrace the typo Bronko. Typo's are some of the funniest things in chats.

Hag Hunting = Least favorite hunt, got married the last time I went.

Hog Hunting = Any weapon, anytime and all ways fun as hell. Especially with buddy's

I have a CVA Accura V2 and a Knight Moutaineer. I haven't killed anything with the Knight yet but I've taken several deer and hogs with the Accura - one at about 150 yards and DRT. If you're buying the rifle for hunting only and not serious target shooting I'd go with a CVA. Its lighter and easier to load. The difference in cleaning is not an issue. I don't see one easier to clean than the other. Knights are very good rifles but cost significantly more - too much IMO. I got mine just before the huge price jump.
That Knight edge takes on a different meaning when (if) you take longer shots. I took a doe whitetail at 245 yards this past season. It was DOTS.
I also shot a buck at 145 yards.
When you reach out, those small details matter more.
When I was hunting with a CVA (many years ago), the farthest it ever took a deer was about 80 yards. Owning a Knight (and an Omega) was game changing.

That Knight edge takes on a different meaning when (if) you take longer shots. I took a doe whitetail at 245 yards this past season. It was DOTS.
I also shot a buck at 145 yards.
When you reach out, those small details matter more.
When I was hunting with a CVA (many years ago), the farthest it ever took a deer was about 80 yards. Owning a Knight (and an Omega) was game changing.
^^this

Sorry guys but I practice with my muzzys out to 200 yards and also at 10" steel gongs at 300 yards. The CVA will keep up with the Knight even out to 300. The edge I was talking about is about 7/8"vs 1" at 100. While I never shot paper at 300 and likely wouldn't shoot at an animal that far I have enough confidence in both rifles.
I got the Knight because of all the hype. Yes they're good rifles and accurate but IMO not worth the extra $$. I can say the same for the CVA Paramont. (I believe discontinued).
There are only a couple guys on here whom I believe when discussing long range muzzleloader shooting. Others are just talking about what they heard. A .45 CVA break action with a bergara barrel and the right load and decent glass is more than sufficient for almost every hunting scenario.

Last edited:
As stated in the OP, this is to be a deer only gun. Appreciate the effort, but fortunately I'm a CO native with a job that is VERY familiar with game laws in CO. 😎✌️
Figured that. But there are people reading this that might not be familiar with that regulation. When someone touts the 45, as they should because it’s an awesome caliber, want to be sure others know it couldn’t be used for elk, at least in CO

No worries, I'm still just a sponge, soaking it all in, and it's never too early to start thinking about the next one... And the next, and the next... 😅
You really want a hard hitting muzzleloader get a CVA Scout take down model with muzzle brake in .45-70 and have it converted to smokeless by Hankins Precision Rifles. It may not be legal in CO during the muzzleloader season but if you're into muzzys you can use it in regular rifle season. Something about sending 300 gr bullets down range at about 2600 fps into tiny groups with the recoil of a .243 that puts a smile on your face

I've decided... I'm going with a Knight. In order, I'd prefer a UL in 45, then a mountaineer in 45, then the Disc(52).

That said, I'm not in a rush, so I'm saving and seeing if anything comes up used before I buy new. Most likely won't need it until Nebraska in December. I'm also getting married this summer, so I'm trying to decide how not subtly to mention a new muzzy as a gift idea to my groomsmen... 😅

Once I get it, I'll post the setup and load development journey for anyone that's interested.
This thread is exactly what I’ve needed. You are researching the exact rifles down the states to use them in. I’ll see you in December! LOL Thanks for the help.

This thread is exactly what I’ve needed. You are researching the exact rifles down the states to use them in. I’ll see you in December! LOL Thanks for the help.
Glad it helped, that was the hope! I just need to load up on powder and try some bullets out, and I'm on my way!

Hmu if you have any questions on Colorado, I know a couple few things about the state and system, otherwise let us know how Nebraska treats you!

Glad it helped, that was the hope! I just need to load up on powder and try some bullets out, and I'm on my way!

Hmu if you have any questions on Colorado, I know a couple few things about the state and system, otherwise let us know how Nebraska treats you!
Thanks, I’ll definitely keep y’all informed.

You made a good choice IMO. Nothing wrong with the CVAs I have. Every one of them shoot. I have a mountaineer and an accura (similar to the othe CVAs). IMO neither is easier to clean than the other. The only additional step with the mountaineer is to remove the bolt. That take a total of 5 seconds. In fact if were getting to easiest, the mountaineer is easier because you can put it in a gun cradle and not be fighting the break open action of the CVA. when running a brush or patch down the bore. Both will shoot under MOA with the right load. The moutaineer is a pretty heavy rifle. I'd opt for the UL if I were to do it over again.

Latest posts

Back