First range report

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kodiak

Reaction score
Two days ago I got my very 1st muzzleloader rifle. And it's a Knight, sorry 'bout that :lol: . I had a 3x9 Tasco scope in the safe and it went right on it. At the range, my first load out the barrel was a product known as Knight's Red Hot 250 gr. hollow-points,two Pyrodex 50 gr pellets and a Remington 209 ML primer. It shot well enough to get on the paper at 50 yards. A 2" group for 3 shots. But here's the problem; after the first shot, the rifle was so dirty inside that a second bullet/sabot could hardly be driven down the barrel ! So, I took it apart, cleaned it out real good and loaded it for the another shot, about 10 min. time. Not good!

The target was then moved-out to 100 yards and I changed bullet/sabots, all other components the same. This time the 250 gr. Shockwave with a yellow tip was the bullet. The 1st shot hit 2" high, 2" right. Close enough for a group. Upon attempting a 2nd loading what a surprise. The bullet/sabot glided down with almost no hand-pressure. The 2nd shot cut the first hole. Then the 3rd load was seated as easy as the 2nd. Now I could get used to this :lol: . After 5 shots had been fired, all within a 2-3 minute total time period, I was pleased with this bullet/ sabot combination. And the group size (I almost forgot in my excitement) 0.90", with 3 bullets cutting the same hole and 1/4" from them, 2 more touching.! Not bad for a muzzleloader :lol: . If I can get a picture to someone, they can post it. More testing is coming-up, but I can go to the woods with this load and know the rifle WILL deliver the goods. I adjusted the x-hairs a couple of inches left and am ready for more testing, but that's another day. What a fun day :lol: :lol: :lol: . Oh yeah, thanks Pat. for the help.

You may want to try spit patching between shots if you have trouble loading the second one. I use solvent patches but it's the same principal. It takes out a bunch of the fouling and allows you to load the second shot easier.

I don't remember, did I recommend you buy a Powerrod? If I didn't, I apologize. You'll need a 26" one. They are THE best ramrods made.

By the way, congrats on getting such a fine rifle. I've got one and although it shows a lot of use, its a dang good rifle.

Extreme1.jpg

Ignore the T/C sights on it. :oops: They're no longer there. Now has a rear peep in place of the T/C rear sight.

If you email me the pictures at [email protected] I'll get em up for you.

Not a real clean cut group, but not too bad. How big did it measure?
kodiak.jpg

11-6-05
50 cal knight Disc Extreme
5 shots at 100 yds
250 gr SHockewave
100 gr Pyro Pellets
Rem 209 primer

Edit: Added further info.

Group actually measures 0.900". Looks a little larger than that after going thru the scanner. But who am I to shrink a group, anyway :lol: :lol: .

Latest posts

Back