Flintlock Advice

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a CVA Frontier Flintlock Rifle. The cock does not hit center of the Frizzen but more towards the barrel. I have a Mountain rifle with the same Maslin lock and it does. The first photo is the Frontier. The second is the Mountain.

My question is, should I try and find a tumbler which will move the cock to center or can I just put a shim between the cock and the lock plate? Although an L&R replacement lock would probably solve my problem, I hate spending $185 to shoot a rifle that only cost me $225. Besides, I like the look of the smaller CVA Locks. TIA!

Attachments

• GEDC3391.JPG
    GEDC3391.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
  • GEDC3393.JPG
    GEDC3393.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
Have you tried swapping the cocks from one rifle to the other. It might be that the cock is bent in a little. You could put the cock in a vise and heat it up and bend it outward a little. You would need to be careful that you don't twist it while doing this or going too far. I've never done this on a flintlock. I have done it on percussion guns to get the hammer centered and aligned with the nipple.

haven't had a flintlock not align, but in 1977 or 8, I shimmed a Minuteman percussion to center hammer and nipple and it is still working fine today.

The one on the gun had been polished where it connects to the lock making it narrow and sloppy. I installed the new Frizzen and my problem was solved. Thanks for all your responses!

Attachments

• GEDC3404.JPG
    GEDC3404.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • GEDC3407.JPG
    GEDC3407.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
The frizzen is probably one of the most important pieces of the flintlock and gets the most abuse. Early TC's flint gun had a terrible lock, slow lock timing, poor frizzen tempering, etc., etc. It took 25-30 years to get those issues corrected.

Like you found with your frizzen, make it correct for alignment and spacing and it's a whole new world. Good for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
The frizzen is probably one of the most important pieces of the flintlock and gets the most abuse. Early TC's flint gun had a terrible lock, slow lock timing, poor frizzen tempering, etc., etc. It took 25-30 years to get those issues corrected.

Like you found with your frizzen, make it correct for alignment and spacing and it's a whole new world. Good for you.

buffani.gif

in-ge-nu-i-ty.jpg
Thanks Buck!

Back