Follow up shot question - jag or naked?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgood

Reaction score
Ok - I'm new to ML but the thought ocurred to me on the range the other day. If I have to make a follow up shot with my Omega in a hunting situation it will be without running a patch. With 777 this means that pushing the bullet down will be a little difficult. Now here comes the question. I plan on using the Powerbelt hollow points in 245 gr. for deer. When loading a second shot in the field do you bother to scew on a loading jag or do you just push the bullet in with the bottom end of the rod sans jag? I am thinking that with a dirty bore and without the jag the hollow point will get damaged by the rod end. Do you guys carry a jag in case or load with just the rod?

With a powerbelt you will not need to use any special attachments on your rod.. just use a blunt end. The load VERY easy!

JJ

bgood said:
Ok - I'm new to ML but the thought ocurred to me on the range the other day. If I have to make a follow up shot with my Omega in a hunting situation it will be without running a patch. With 777 this means that pushing the bullet down will be a little difficult. Now here comes the question. I plan on using the Powerbelt hollow points in 245 gr. for deer. When loading a second shot in the field do you bother to scew on a loading jag or do you just push the bullet in with the bottom end of the rod sans jag? I am thinking that with a dirty bore and without the jag the hollow point will get damaged by the rod end. Do you guys carry a jag in case or load with just the rod?

Well I always swab after the shot. However my rods already have a loading tip on them. I use Powerrods that are the appropriate length. They come with a 1" loading tip on the end. For the tips that don't match that one (my Knight Extreme's load comes to mind) I use the tips that come with the Powerbelt bullet starter. It might be worth it to you to pick up a powerrod and a powerbelt bullet starter. http://www.xssights.com/

bgood said:

Welcome to the forum :) As Doohan stated, you should have no problem loading that bullet with your ram rod.

Now here comes the question. I plan on using the Powerbelt hollow points in 245 gr. for deer. When loading a second shot in the field do you bother to scew on a loading jag or do you just push the bullet in with the bottom end of the rod sans jag?

If it was me that's what I'd do. If I HAVE to use a jag as with an SST or similar spitzer, I like wouldn't even have my ramrod on my rifle but would have it readily accessable with jag installed.

A Powerbelt should need any kind of jag anyway, expecially for a follow-up shot.

Hey...You don't need to be talking about follow-ups do you? :nono:

Never think about a follow up shot as you are taking your first shot......bad medicine!

Maybe he plans on killing two deer, believe it or not the first muzzleloader kills I ever got was with my kids knight american knight. I shot a doe at 140 yds reloaded and shot a buck at 160 yds.

hmmm... If I killed 2 deer here during the hunting season, I would be locked up!

In NW Ohio I can tag 1 deer for the entire season... bow, shotgun, ML .. buck or doe! :nono:

Dwight, Ill be over for some deer hunting! :poke:

just kidding,

JJ

We might be able to slide you in on the late mz season if you bring some more loshbough sausage. :lol: not kidding :shock:

In NW Ohio I can tag 1 deer for the entire season

JJ...I'd just have to MOVE!

BTW....If this place I'm going to in Kentucky pans out...next year a bunch of us should go! It's usually the 15th and 16th of October or close to that each year! That would be a spring trip to Loshbaugh and a fall trip to Kentucky!

big6x6 said:
In NW Ohio I can tag 1 deer for the entire season

BTW....If this place I'm going to in Kentucky pans out...next year a bunch of us should go! It's usually the 15th and 16th of October or close to that each year! That would be a spring trip to Loshbaugh and a fall trip to Kentucky!

What OF the big6x6 bear quest?

I live in NW Ohio also. I have deer just rubbing the 8500 hardwoods I planted. They kill or damage the better trees but I am unable to get a deer predation permit to harvest more than the standard one deer per year.

In VA. we can kill six deer in one season combined with bow, crossbow, muzzleloader or rifle. You can even buy extra bonus tags for does only. I killed five last year, two with Encore .50 and three with Remington .30-06. :lol: :lol:

Absolutely!! I am definately interested in that!!!! Lets pencil that in!

Just go to SE Ohio. It's 2 does 1buck

Mike, I plan to ML hunt in Licking Co. this year.. sounds like a great place! :lol:

Latest posts

Back