Ram Rod got stuck in Barrel while hunting!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also use a spinjag extension. That gives me a couple extra inches. Yes you have to put it on but to me it’s worth it.
https://www.spinjag.com/

One of the first things that I do when i get a new muzzleloader...Order a custom Spin Jag to fit the rifle. Never had any issues with them.

I don't want to sound cynical, but before a person hits the woods with any gun, he should have shot it enough to know whether there were ANY POSSIBLE glitches that might pop up with any aspect of it, including loading a charge from the front. In my mind this situation was totally preventable.

I'm not knocking you Farmingdale as this was an unfortunate incident and could happen anywhere, but most seasoned hunters know exactly what they can and cannot get away with long before the season starts and they don't vary from that at all. It turned out ok, just realize that if you get in a hurry or frazzled the first thing you do is settle down, not try to load the gun for a second shot using a shortcut, especially with T7 products.

Last edited:
Will switching to loose powder allow me to shoot more than two in a row if need be? I plan on swabbing after every shot while practicing going forward. Some people told me to put bore butter in my barrel but with what I had read that seemed to be more for a hawken type gun and not really a modern muzzy. Then if it would help when and how do I do it? Just put some on a patch between shots? I can’t imagine it being a good idea vs. oiling the barrel after cleaning it to put away before the next time I shoot.

Assuming powder is the solution what would be best practices? I figured since I have a grain scale from archery weighing and putting the same weight in to separate vials for hunting and having one or two with multiple bullets. But then not sure what to do at the range after I used up what I have in the vials? Should I get the BH 209 breech plug for the 777 and will i need to use a different primer than the Federal 209 MZ's that I am using now?

I have a lot to learn!
No. Unfortunately. Unless you use a lighter charge. Just to be safe, if youbahave to shoot more than 2 shots, carry some patches with you and swsb the bore to remove that crud ring. A bronze brish is good too but get one for a muzzleloader not the crimped type.

Back