from Illinois, hunt there too

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flaguy

Reaction score
Fairly new to muzzleloaders , not to hunting or shooting. I was givin a Knight T bolt a few years back and played around with it then upgraded that to fire 209 but with discs. just bought a CVA wolf to play with as I do like the break action. After checking around I think I'll end up with a Triumph and low power scope. I like pyrodex pellets and for deer hunting think I'll go to 330 grain power belts. I did get a 9 pointer this year with the Knight using a 295 grain powerbelt but think it needed just a little more knock down. As to the range I think its way better than a slug especially with a scope.

Welcome to the forum. It is good to have you here.

As for the powerbelts, I think there are much better projectiles out there then them. If sabots are legal, then perhaps something like a Shockwave, or an XTP. Then there are Barnes, Speer, Nosler. Somewhere in there, a sabot combination should work in your rifle and probably give you better results then a powerbelt.

Welcome to the forum. There is a bunch of great guy's on this site. Jump in and have some fun.

Hey Cayuga thanks for the come back, the only reason I have not tried sabots is that I was told a 50 Cal. sabot is really only a 45 Cal. and the plastic makes up the difference whereas a powerbelt is a 50 cal bullet. I have found in practice that saboted bullets seat better after a shot is fired than do power belt, in fact found that it was really a must to swab the barrel once before trying to reseat a powerbelt after the first shot.

flaguy said:
Hey Cayuga thanks for the come back, the only reason I have not tried sabots is that I was told a 50 Cal. sabot is really only a 45 Cal. and the plastic makes up the difference whereas a powerbelt is a 50 cal bullet. I have found in practice that saboted bullets seat better after a shot is fired than do power belt, in fact found that it was really a must to swab the barrel once before trying to reseat a powerbelt after the first shot.

That's correct, the sabot can be a 10mm (.40 caliber), .44 caliber, or .45 caliber but also consider that when that sabot expands it will be pushing over a 1/2 in diameter. Also such calibers as the 45/70 were large game calibers for years. I really do not feel the sabot is under sized. Also there down range shocking power is fantastic. Not to mention their long range effective abilities are well known.

Although, I am not trying to take away from the effectiveness of the full bore conical. Its just I have read a lot of horror stories of the powerbelt not working well. Then other brag them up. I just like other sabot loads better. What ever shoots well in your rifle is the most important.

When I shoot conicals they are a large pure lead conical. I shoot them out of my White with amazing accuracy.

Latest posts

Back