Cva optima v2 accuracy issue

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shoot T7 3Fg in both my sons and my Optima. 100 gr is too much in both our rifles. my sons does best at 80 gr and mine likes 90 gr. After checking all screws try backing off the powder a bit. Also, I found W209 primers a bit more accurate than F209A. F209A is hotter, and also shorter OAL and had more blow back. I'm betting on the powder charge too much though. Good Luck and let us know what you determine..

I'd try some hornady xtp 240s and start with 80grn by volume and see what happens! I've yet to see a CVA muzzleloader that wouldn't shoot good with the xtp 240s! Most shots are under 100yds!

I have a optima v2, and I can't get the 240 xtp to shoot well at all. I have good luck with the 250 gr and crush rib. But I haven't tried 80 gr. By volume either. Will have to give it a try!

I think a lot of people have issues with the XTP's in the 240-250 weight range when they are shooting relatively light BH209 loads, like 70 to 90 grains by volume. My Accura will shoot anything from 225 grain, 451 Barnes XPBs to 250 grain , .451 XTPs as long as I am moving them with 110 grains [v] or an equivalent weighed charge. Things really begin to tighten up at 100 grains [v] and then come apart again at 120 grains [v]. Apparently smitty worked it out using the Thors without a sabot.

Another observation of my Accura is that a plain black sabot loads just a hair tight but its that plain black sabot that delivers my best accuracy. I've done the black crush ribs and things just don't go to well with them.

I also knurl every bullet that is shot in all of my in-lines whether using the BH or T7 granular. My accuracy got much more consistent with the knurled bullets whether in the .50cal, .45 cal or .45 smokeless.

I think a lot of people have issues with the XTP's in the 240-250 weight range when they are shooting relatively light BH209 loads, like 70 to 90 grains by volume.

I also knurl every bullet that is shot in all of my in-lines whether using the BH or T7 granular. My accuracy got much more consistent with the knurled bullets whether in the .50cal, .45 cal or .45 smokeless.
ive started knurling too.

Agree about needing hotter loads especially with those hard green sabots. Seems like it takes more to get them to open up and seal in the barrel.

I had an Optima that had an oversized barrel (0.505” bore/lands, grooves were 0.509”). It wouldn’t shoot worth a darn even with Barnes Spitfire TMZ in the supplied yellow sabot (0.505”), TEZ would have been flopping back and forth in the barrel. Just another option to think about. Slug the barrel with soft lead and measure what you’ve got. Every once in a while you’ll get one that’s not exactly what it’s supposed to be - this is the only CVA I’ve had with that issue. You can make them shoot but it takes more effort (different sabot/bullet combos) than just taking something out of a one size fits all box and stuffing it down the barrel.

Hell everyone. I recently purchased the combo optima with the konus scope. I have been out of the muzzleloading game for about 10 years. My first muzzleloader was a knight wolverine. It shot pretty well the best I remember ha. I decided to get back into it and went with this combo. I got the BH209 breechplug because I am using loose powder. I am having serious accuracy issue. I will start by telling the load I am using. 777 FFFG, federal 209A primer and 290barnes tez and power belt aero light 250. I measure 100 grains powder with a volume measure not weight. I wasn’t, but started swabbing after every 2 shots and it didn’t really help at all. The aero lights were all over the place at 50 yards so I said nope and started over with the Barnes. At 50 Yards the Barnes were 2 inches apart 2 shots, perfect on left and right but 4 inches low. Adjusted and brought it up to 3 inches high at 50 and shot 1 time. Hit 3 inches and still right in line with the first 2 shots. Took it out to 100 and it was around a 6-8 inch group. The questions I have are these. Could it just be the konus scope? Have heard some people say they work great some day they are junk. Could it be my volume measure isn’t accurate and instead of it being 100 grains it’s actually more? I am just not sure how the accuracy could be this bad with the typical load. I did recently learn or read anyway, that the FFFG powder burns hotter there for should reduce the load by 10-20%. Not sure if that is something people have felt with. I would just think that a new rifle would group a lot better than 8” at 100 yards even if the powder is 5-10 grains away from the perfect load. I have seen soo many post about the TEZ so wouldn’t think it is the bullet my gun doesn’t like. Any ideas?

Check out
Hell everyone. I recently purchased the combo optima with the konus scope. I have been out of the muzzleloading game for about 10 years. My first muzzleloader was a knight wolverine. It shot pretty well the best I remember ha. I decided to get back into it and went with this combo. I got the BH209 breechplug because I am using loose powder. I am having serious accuracy issue. I will start by telling the load I am using. 777 FFFG, federal 209A primer and 290barnes tez and power belt aero light 250. I measure 100 grains powder with a volume measure not weight. I wasn’t, but started swabbing after every 2 shots and it didn’t really help at all. The aero lights were all over the place at 50 yards so I said nope and started over with the Barnes. At 50 Yards the Barnes were 2 inches apart 2 shots, perfect on left and right but 4 inches low. Adjusted and brought it up to 3 inches high at 50 and shot 1 time. Hit 3 inches and still right in line with the first 2 shots. Took it out to 100 and it was around a 6-8 inch group. The questions I have are these. Could it just be the konus scope? Have heard some people say they work great some day they are junk. Could it be my volume measure isn’t accurate and instead of it being 100 grains it’s actually more? I am just not sure how the accuracy could be this bad with the typical load. I did recently learn or read anyway, that the FFFG powder burns hotter there for should reduce the load by 10-20%. Not sure if that is something people have felt with. I would just think that a new rifle would group a lot better than 8” at 100 yards even if the powder is 5-10 grains away from the perfect load. I have seen soo many post about the TEZ so wouldn’t think it is the bullet my gun doesn’t like. Any ideas?
check out this site. It’s the only bullets I use . Precision Rifle Home - the world's most innovative Muzzleloader Bullets

Last two falls this combo has worked for me. Two imr 50 gr white hots, harvester 300 gr pt gold w crush rib sabot. Winchester 777 209 primer.

Both are 3 shot groups.

CVA Optima v2 w Sig romeo5 1x20 red dot mounted on top

75 yds.
IMG_1976.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2018.jpeg
    IMG_2018.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I know for a fact that Konus has stepped up their game. I’m NOT a fan, but have been able to view some bino’s and scopes since summer. Think I’d call them.

KIMG1243.JPG
Optima V2
First 3rd group at 50 after it took me 5 shots to get it dialed in.
KIMG1244.JPG
Cold bore shot @100
I mounted my own scope which was a crappy Nikon buckmaster 3-9x40 I had laying around.
Load was two magnum 777 pellets and Hornady SST 250gr with the supplied sabots.
Only been to the range once with it so far. Got the gun Sunday. So far impressed for how cheap the thing was!

Something is definitely defective. I'm guessing the scope, but maybe the rifle itself.
I've had several smoothbore slug guns with irons, and have never experienced a group like that.

There's lemons in anything, but I'm confident you'll get it sorted out. Good luck sir!

Back