Cva optima v2 accuracy issue

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jisonhood1023

Reaction score
Hell everyone. I recently purchased the combo optima with the konus scope. I have been out of the muzzleloading game for about 10 years. My first muzzleloader was a knight wolverine. It shot pretty well the best I remember ha. I decided to get back into it and went with this combo. I got the BH209 breechplug because I am using loose powder. I am having serious accuracy issue. I will start by telling the load I am using. 777 FFFG, federal 209A primer and 290barnes tez and power belt aero light 250. I measure 100 grains powder with a volume measure not weight. I wasn’t, but started swabbing after every 2 shots and it didn’t really help at all. The aero lights were all over the place at 50 yards so I said nope and started over with the Barnes. At 50 Yards the Barnes were 2 inches apart 2 shots, perfect on left and right but 4 inches low. Adjusted and brought it up to 3 inches high at 50 and shot 1 time. Hit 3 inches and still right in line with the first 2 shots. Took it out to 100 and it was around a 6-8 inch group. The questions I have are these. Could it just be the konus scope? Have heard some people say they work great some day they are junk. Could it be my volume measure isn’t accurate and instead of it being 100 grains it’s actually more? I am just not sure how the accuracy could be this bad with the typical load. I did recently learn or read anyway, that the FFFG powder burns hotter there for should reduce the load by 10-20%. Not sure if that is something people have felt with. I would just think that a new rifle would group a lot better than 8” at 100 yards even if the powder is 5-10 grains away from the perfect load. I have seen soo many post about the TEZ so wouldn’t think it is the bullet my gun doesn’t like. Any ideas?

I never have trusted any combo scope package I have seen.
Did you check the mounts as well for being loose?
^^^DO THIS^^^^! Take that scope off, clean, tighten, and loctite all those little screws. Then try those loads and bullets again. Also maybe switch to ffg, from the fffg. Never trust a combo until you gone thru it and tightened it properly.

That would be my first guess as well - loose base(s) and or rings. And, yes, count me in the Konus scopes are garbage group.

As for the powder charge - doesn’t matter what you set it on as long as you’re using it the same way (consistently) every time. Even the least ideal 777 charge ought to shoot better than 8” at 100 yards.

Agreed. I've recently purchased my first muzzy and as a combo with the konus. First thing I did was take it apart. Wouldn't you know the scope base front screws were loose. I'm struggling as well for a good grouping but haven't had the misfortune of that loose a group.

I bought the ones with just the mount several years ago and both mounts were loose from the factory. I have used both 777 and 209 in the Optimas and was able to achive 1.25"-1.50" three shot groups at 100yds without much effort.

That would be my first guess as well - loose base(s) and or rings. And, yes, count me in the Konus scopes are garbage group.

As for the powder charge - doesn’t matter what you set it on as long as you’re using it the same way (consistently) every time. Even the least ideal 777 charge ought to shoot better than 8” at 100 yards.
I did tighten the scope base and rings. Out of the box I checked the rings, they were a little loose. Don’t know why I didn’t even think about the base. After shooting a few shots and not grouping I took the scope back off and tighten them. They were actually tight but wanted to make sure. Loose rings/base wouldn’t be the issue. They are right now and still not grouping. Sooo pretty much a scope issue?

I did tighten the scope base and rings. Out of the box I checked the rings, they were a little loose. Don’t know why I didn’t even think about the base. After shooting a few shots and not grouping I took the scope back off and tighten them. They were actually tight but wanted to make sure. Loose rings/base wouldn’t be the issue. They are right now and still not grouping. Sooo pretty much a scope issue?
Did you lokt tight the screws? My optima rattled the sights loose quickly until I did that.

Ok. Could be. Do you have another known scope that you could throw on there?

The first gun I ever bought was a Triumph from Cabelas.I also bought a scope and had them mount it. Big mistake. The screws for the base were to long and the person doing the mounting assumed when the screws came to torque they were in fact torqued to the mount but rather to the bottom of the hole.My brother was with me at the range and he noticed the loose mount. Once fixed accuracy came to be. Be very careful with the mount screws. They can be different lengths and different thread patterns. You can usually look online and find which screw is appropriate for your mount but beware of thread depth on the barrel.

Well I have 2 Konus scopes and I like them. That being said I just picked up a CVA Scout with a rail already attached. The first thing I checked before installing a scope was to check the tightness of the rail screws and sure enough each one needed to be tightened at least 1/2 turn. Being this is a 45-70 recoil would have had my shots all over the place.
I hope you get this issue resolved.

Hell everyone. I recently purchased the combo optima with the konus scope. I have been out of the muzzleloading game for about 10 years. My first muzzleloader was a knight wolverine. It shot pretty well the best I remember ha. I decided to get back into it and went with this combo. I got the BH209 breechplug because I am using loose powder. I am having serious accuracy issue. I will start by telling the load I am using. 777 FFFG, federal 209A primer and 290barnes tez and power belt aero light 250. I measure 100 grains powder with a volume measure not weight. I wasn’t, but started swabbing after every 2 shots and it didn’t really help at all. The aero lights were all over the place at 50 yards so I said nope and started over with the Barnes. At 50 Yards the Barnes were 2 inches apart 2 shots, perfect on left and right but 4 inches low. Adjusted and brought it up to 3 inches high at 50 and shot 1 time. Hit 3 inches and still right in line with the first 2 shots. Took it out to 100 and it was around a 6-8 inch group. The questions I have are these. Could it just be the konus scope? Have heard some people say they work great some day they are junk. Could it be my volume measure isn’t accurate and instead of it being 100 grains it’s actually more? I am just not sure how the accuracy could be this bad with the typical load. I did recently learn or read anyway, that the FFFG powder burns hotter there for should reduce the load by 10-20%. Not sure if that is something people have felt with. I would just think that a new rifle would group a lot better than 8” at 100 yards even if the powder is 5-10 grains away from the perfect load. I have seen soo many post about the TEZ so wouldn’t think it is the bullet my gun doesn’t like. Any ideas?
If you are doing the powder measure the same each time anD the powder is fresh, I don't believe it is the powder. I suspect the scope itself or mounts. Don't shoot from a lead sled either. Also swab every shot the exact same way. See if that helps you.

I just had a hard time getting the same gun to group l tried three different sabot combinations best I could get was four inch groups. Then I ordered a sizing kit from Thor the ordered the bullets and the gun is now shooting 1groups with a 250gr thore and 115 B/H by volume

I just had a hard time getting the same gun to group l tried three different sabot combinations best I could get was four inch groups. Then I ordered a sizing kit from Thor the ordered the bullets and the gun is now shooting 1groups with a 250gr thore and 115 B/H by volume
What size Thor bullet you end up with? .499 or .500 I assume being a CVA?

One one of the CVA’s I’ve owned, I found that the fore end was torqued so tight it affected my groups. I loosened the screw and wrapped camo duct tape around the fore end and barrel. It grouped well after that.

One one of the CVA’s I’ve owned, I found that the fore end was torqued so tight it affected my groups. I loosened the screw and wrapped camo duct tape around the fore end and barrel. It grouped well after that.
That could be a potential issue - forend pressure and/or sloppy hingepin (sloppy action lockup).

I may have missed it but are you shooting bullet to bore and a sabot with the Barnes?

Back