Cva optima v2 accuracy issue

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last two falls this combo has worked for me. Two imr 50 gr white hots, harvester 300 gr pt gold w crush rib sabot. Winchester 777 209 primer.

Both are 3 shot groups.

CVA Optima v2 w Sig romeo5 1x20 red dot mounted on top

75 yds.
View attachment 38845
You got some eyes for sure ,bet if they had lived the deer would hate to be in the same woods with you .
Well done/Ed

Im shooting 1inch groups at 100 yards without sub bases. Sorry I just don’t see where they will benefit. I think it’s better with that design bullet to have it sitting right on the charge that’s how they are designed to work.
Whatever works for you. You might be shooting 1/2” groups with a sub base. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I have a CVA Optima V2 50 cal LR nitride rifle. With a Konus 3x9x40 muzzle loader scope. That group was shot at 100 yds. 84grs of Blackhorn by weight. Hornady 250gr sst. Winchester 209 regular primer. This pass fall i upgraded my scope. Leupold 3x9x40mm Ultimate Slam ML scope. And i am trying out Hornady 290gr bore driver bullets. My group with them shot just as good. Using 84grs of Blackhorn by weight. Only reason trying hornady 290gr bore drivers. I fount 6 packs on clearance. I killed a deer at 200 yds using the Konus 3x9x40 scope. I carry my muzzle loader during regular gun season. I love hunting with a ML. Plus its shoots very well.
View attachment 20221014_184051~2.jpg

Hell everyone. I recently purchased the combo optima with the konus scope. I have been out of the muzzleloading game for about 10 years. My first muzzleloader was a knight wolverine. It shot pretty well the best I remember ha. I decided to get back into it and went with this combo. I got the BH209 breechplug because I am using loose powder. I am having serious accuracy issue. I will start by telling the load I am using. 777 FFFG, federal 209A primer and 290barnes tez and power belt aero light 250. I measure 100 grains powder with a volume measure not weight. I wasn’t, but started swabbing after every 2 shots and it didn’t really help at all. The aero lights were all over the place at 50 yards so I said nope and started over with the Barnes. At 50 Yards the Barnes were 2 inches apart 2 shots, perfect on left and right but 4 inches low. Adjusted and brought it up to 3 inches high at 50 and shot 1 time. Hit 3 inches and still right in line with the first 2 shots. Took it out to 100 and it was around a 6-8 inch group. The questions I have are these. Could it just be the konus scope? Have heard some people say they work great some day they are junk. Could it be my volume measure isn’t accurate and instead of it being 100 grains it’s actually more? I am just not sure how the accuracy could be this bad with the typical load. I did recently learn or read anyway, that the FFFG powder burns hotter there for should reduce the load by 10-20%. Not sure if that is something people have felt with. I would just think that a new rifle would group a lot better than 8” at 100 yards even if the powder is 5-10 grains away from the perfect load. I have seen soo many post about the TEZ so wouldn’t think it is the bullet my gun doesn’t like. Any ideas?
Try some white hots with the powerbelts and see what you get

240grn hornady xtp with 80grn by volume of blackhorn at 100yds. Cva accura V2 Lr. Winchester W209 primers.

Attachments

• 20240104_162136.jpg
    20240104_162136.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Hell everyone. I recently purchased the combo optima with the konus scope. I have been out of the muzzleloading game for about 10 years. My first muzzleloader was a knight wolverine. It shot pretty well the best I remember ha. I decided to get back into it and went with this combo. I got the BH209 breechplug because I am using loose powder. I am having serious accuracy issue. I will start by telling the load I am using. 777 FFFG, federal 209A primer and 290barnes tez and power belt aero light 250. I measure 100 grains powder with a volume measure not weight. I wasn’t, but started swabbing after every 2 shots and it didn’t really help at all. The aero lights were all over the place at 50 yards so I said nope and started over with the Barnes. At 50 Yards the Barnes were 2 inches apart 2 shots, perfect on left and right but 4 inches low. Adjusted and brought it up to 3 inches high at 50 and shot 1 time. Hit 3 inches and still right in line with the first 2 shots. Took it out to 100 and it was around a 6-8 inch group. The questions I have are these. Could it just be the konus scope? Have heard some people say they work great some day they are junk. Could it be my volume measure isn’t accurate and instead of it being 100 grains it’s actually more? I am just not sure how the accuracy could be this bad with the typical load. I did recently learn or read anyway, that the FFFG powder burns hotter there for should reduce the load by 10-20%. Not sure if that is something people have felt with. I would just think that a new rifle would group a lot better than 8” at 100 yards even if the powder is 5-10 grains away from the perfect load. I have seen soo many post about the TEZ so wouldn’t think it is the bullet my gun doesn’t like. Any ideas?
Mine sits on a shelf (NEW) as everything on guns plus range finder are Leupolds

Back