Frustration !!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steel guitar

Reaction score
I have 20 muzzleloading rifles and only 4 will shoot accurately past 4 shots. I've done the bore cleaning between shots to keep the "crud ring" out yet bad accuracy past 4 shots.
What am I not doing???

Its tuff to load any black powder or Sub more than a few shots. .50 cal n larger with large loads seem to leave alot of residue in the bore. Now smaller bore .45/.40/.36/.32 using prb's may let you shoot up to 10 shots before having to swab it. Black powder say 50 gr n less will be better for extended shooting than Sub's powder. My .45 with 3 f Goex i can shoot about 6-7 times.

I only use real bp, goex, 2f or 3f, 45, 5ocal 60g max. crisco on cloth patch. Swab with huggies then dry patch-paper towel.

It really depends on what you're shooting. We shoot traditional sidelocks, and using goex 2f or 3f powder, and round balls wrapped in a oil soap soaked patch, we can usually get 10-15 shots easily before loading gets tough and we really need to clean. The wet soapy patches are huge in keeping things clean while shooting. If shooting conicals with no patch, it reduces to 2-4 shots between cleanings.

I have 20 muzzleloading rifles and only 4 will shoot accurately past 4 shots. I've done the bore cleaning between shots to keep the "crud ring" out yet bad accuracy past 4 shots.
What am I not doing???
When you say "bore cleaning ", do you mean just swabbing between shots with only patches?

Basically, I can shoot 4 shots then huggies and paper towel to get out crud ring but then at 50 yards my groups go from 2" to 6" whether I wipe or Not. ???

Only 4 out of 20 rifles shoot well after 4 shots. The chances that it's problems with the rifles are slim to none. Somewhere in your shooting procedure there seems to be a problem. I have two suggestions that should get you on a better track. First, clean after every shot. I know it's a pain if you're not used to it but we're eliminating possibles here. Second, use a good cleaner. alcohol was mentioned and it works as do many commercial and home made cleaners. Plus do not use paper towels. Use good cotton , not synthetic patches. If that doesn't solve your problem I'd be selling 16 rifles and keeping 4. Good luck.

The Huggies (wipes I assume) and paper towels will not remove the crud ring, forget them. Morehops is right on above. I use a citrus household cleaner to remove the crud ring with cotton patches, both sides, in my 209 primer guns.

What guns do you have?

Last edited:
Back