Fun outing today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Took out my new to me Seneca .36 cal today and found a load it really likes. I replaced that partridge style front sight with one with an ivory bead for a finer sight picture.
Next I did a little work with my, again, new to me Lyman GPR .50 cal. The Lyman is going to need some more work but I do believe I got my .36 ready
for squirrels

.619 Seneca.jpg619 gpr 25 yds.jpg619 gpr 50 yds.jpg

Nice shooting mate
Thanks.. That little .36 cal is packing them right in there but the .50 cal Great Plains Rifle needs a lot of work to get the group size down. I even tried some 250 gr REAL bullets but they were even worse. I was using a felt wad under the PRB but I think I may need to play with the charge some and see what happens. That's a bit over a 2" group at 50 yards which is totally unacceptable for me. I would like to cut that in half.

I don't have experience with 50 cal prb, my one 50 is a fast twist. In my 54s I've been a proponent of tight patch and ball combos and higher charges. Works for me.

But it should be said I'm hunting and not trying to find target loads.

I don't have experience with 50 cal prb, my one 50 is a fast twist. In my 54s I've been a proponent of tight patch and ball combos and higher charges. Works for me.

But it should be said I'm hunting and not trying to find target loads.
Thinking back, way back, when PA regs only required PRB I was shooting 100 gr of FFg in a T/C Hawken 1:48 twist. I thought maybe with this 1:60 twist I could get away with a lighter charge.

I love seeing targets shot at. It really lets you know how a gun is shooting for you.

30 gr FFFg with the thick drill cloth had the biggest group, pillow ticking was tighter and linen was the best.
My standard PRB setup has been a ball 0.005” under bore diameter and a pillow ticking patch.
Granted bore diameter can vary, but as a general rule that’s a good tight ball and patch.

My standard PRB setup has been a ball 0.005” under bore diameter and a pillow ticking patch.
Granted bore diameter can vary, but as a general rule that’s a good tight ball and patch.
Usually but not the case with this rifle. a .350" round ball and .010" patch. Snug but not very tight but accurate.

One thing is for sure, those squirrels will not like you or the Seneca. With a rifle as accurate as your Seneca along with your excellent shooting I kinda feel sorry for those bushytails. Except for the patch my .36 SMR uses the same .350" ball and 30 grns of 3F.

Back