Garden Is Coming Along Nicely

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patocazador

Reaction score
I planted my garden late. I should have done it in the middle of March but I turned the ground 3 times in a period of a month to try and kill all the grass and weeds that were growing there. I finally planted some seeds last week.

My purple hull peas are all up and looking good, as are the bush green beans. Since they were doing OK, I planted sugar snap peas, butternut and scallop squash this morning. I spread lots of cow manure on the ground each time I disked it so the soil should be a bit better than the sandy stuff here.

I can't wait for those sugar snap peas. Usually, they don't make it to the table. We eat them as we pick them.  :D

I forgot to add that my serrano pepper bush made it through the winter unscathed and has been producing peppers since the end of February.

Havn't had much to report been to cold and it's turkey season, but I'm going to try and get it a few rows of corn and beans tomorrow.

The squash and sugar snap peas popped up through the ground yesterday. Really good germination on the seeds especially since some of them have been in the refrigerator for over 5 years.

I'd love to do a garden but the upkeep is just so hard around here with the weeds we have. :evil:

frontiergander, do container gardening. i have five large old cattle water taks filled with compost. got 300 peppers from jut one of them last year. no weeding, no bending and can grow all kinds of things in them easy to water also. planted green onions, potatoes, radishes, garlic this week. i also plant on top of big old straw bales. get good cucumbers and melons from the straw bales. soon we will be grilling asparagus as that will be popping up soon.

Asparagus is something we can't grow here, rhubarb either. The temps get too high for them I guess.

My daughter took several long thin plastic containers, punched 5 or 6 ~2" diameter holes in the sides and planted tomato plants in the holes. They came up good and she had plenty of cherry tomatoes.

patocazador said:
Asparagus is something we can't grow here, rhubarb either. The temps get too high for them I guess.

My son-in-law has been growing Asparagus for several years with some success.  I wouldn't think that your temp in Central FL gets any higher than it does here in N Alabama, but it probably just lasts longer.  I also wonder if it might require a period of cooler temps for it to make a good crop?  I know that within reason it get colder here for longer periods than you experience.  We had several nights in January with temps of around 5deg.

Asparagus is a perrenial and I tried it about 35 years ago. I built a raised bed, planted the crowns and got skinny little shoots the next February, However, that year just fern-like plants grew up and after that nothing. They never got as big as a skinny pencil. 

I know that apple trees and peach trees are hard to grow here because we don't get enough 'cold hours' during the winter. Maybe it's the same with asparagus.

Latest posts

Back