Getting It Done With The PRB

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In a time where most folks are using those scoped in-lines, it's sure good to see someone hunting with a flintlock and using patched roundball. ;)

WOW thats a beauty of a bull...and I like his rifle...I love stories like this an pictures of fine muzzleloaders...

quigleysharps4570 said:
In a time where most folks are using those scoped in-lines, it's sure good to see someone hunting with a flintlock and using patched roundball. ;)

I agree, and i'm one of them still using a PRB for elk, muley's, and bear.

I have to smile when someone says they can't kill a small whitetail with a PRB, and this shows a record elk being killed with the same round ball.

I would have to say that the PRB took more game before the cartridge rifles came into play or modern muzzle loaders....hunting was the only way most put food on the table during the settlers days...they shot from rabbits to big game to eat...

Yes, and they had to fight off the grizzly's too. Although i'd rather not face a grizzly with any single shot gun. Let alone one with a PRB.  :shock:

Muley said:
Yes, and they had to fight off the grizzly's too. Although i'd rather not face a grizzly with any single shot gun. Let alone one with a PRB.  :shock:

so true..but I bet it was done..meat was food..so maybe it was sorta a family hunt...father an sons  so had back up shots..had to be a fast reloader back then...pretty scary thought tho

25565595910_c4faf41b8b_o.jpg
Caught-Off-Guard_10@72 by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

Hey Muley

When I read your Profile....out beside Humor....was NONE!!

I spit tobacco juice on my monitor!! :lol!: :cheers:

Wow... Thanks for posting!  I hadn't seen this yet.  Great bull and really neat to see it fall to the primitive weapon.

Edit: just realized this post was from a long time ago!  Lol!  Better late than never I guess...

Muley said:
quigleysharps4570 said:
I agree, and i'm one of them still using a PRB for elk, muley's, and bear.
Is that why you're selling the No Excuses bullets?

It's an old thread Bob. I've had to go to scope which means an inline. I've used a PRB since 1980. Those days are over.

Thanks for being the smart ass you always are. Good to see you never change.

Not really. Even when I hunted with nothing but a PRB I still messed around with inlines and modern bullets. I still haven't hunted with an inline. This year may be the one that changes that.

Besides I used to shoot NoExcuses in sidelocks. Never hunted with them, but I thought about it. Nothing modern about an all lead conical.

Pete, I use a scope on my side lock. Nothing wrong with scopes for old guys .. or young guys either. When your eyes quit working, it's better safe than sorry.

You got me thinking about it, and I just ordered a peep sight for it.

As hard as I try. I can't bring myself to use a scope. Even though I should. I've done this a gazillion times. Ask Jon.

I like to take fast offhand shots. Scopes just don't work for me. The stock doesn't fit right. More of a chin weld instead of a cheek weld. Plus, scopes ruin the balance of a gun.

A peep with a FO front sight will work ok for me on an inline. Primitive sights on sidelocks won't work anymore. This is a good compromise for me. I'm good for 50yds with this setup. I can always get that close.

Thanks for busting my ass. It woke me up to what I really want.

I didn't bust your ass about the scope. I didn't even know you were in the process of using one.

I was broadly commenting on being careful of stating absolutes like "I always" or "I never". They always come back to bite.

I know. :oops:

You busted my ass about the NoExcuses. That led me to think about the inline with scope.

Muley said:
You busted my ass about the NoExcuses. That led me to think about the inline with scope.
I'm not on here as much as some of you but I was thinking you just recently got a new sidelock???  Are you back to an inline now?  Which one did you decide on?

Back