Getting It Done With The PRB

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I did buy a JBMR and planned on hunting with it. I had two problems with it. It's weight (10lbs) and the sights. I've been very stubborn the last few years about my vision. It's so bad the DOW gave me a license to use a scope in muzzy season. I've never used it. It just felt unfair to other hunters. Probably not clear thinking on my part. Everytime i've bought an inline it was because of my vision, because I can't bring myself to use any kind of modern sight on a sidelock. I've had around 12 inlines and never hunted with any of them. I start missing a sidelock and sell the inline and buy a sidelock. I'm too poor to own more than one gun, so I have to sell one to buy one.

That's what happen this time. Plus, I broke my back again 4 weeks ago. That reminded me how fragile my back is. I've broke it 4 times in the last 5 years. Usually cracked vertebrae. Two this time. So, a lighter inline with a peep and FO front sight cures both problems. I was given a new Triumph from a friend. That made the decision much easier. I started by putting a scope on it. Also from the same friend. He'll be upset when I send him back the scope, but I just don't get along with scopes. Plus, it made the gun over a pound heavier.

So, that's where I am. A Triumph with a peep. I think this is the year i'll finally use an inline to hunt with. I put in for elk, buck muley and bear. I have a friend who's 100% Cheyenne who is going to haul out the meat from any game I shoot. He wants the hide from all of them, and i'l give him half the meat too. That takes a big load off me. My back can't handle it anymore.

Sorry for running my mouth, but I wanted to explain why i'm doing it. Getting old forces me to do things I don't want to, but that's part of getting old.

Muley said:
Yes, I did buy a JBMR and planned on hunting with it. I had two problems with it. It's weight (10lbs) and the sights. I've been very stubborn the last few years about my vision. It's so bad the DOW gave me a license to use a scope in muzzy season. I've never used it. It just felt unfair to other hunters. Probably not clear thinking on my part. Everytime i've bought an inline it was because of my vision, because I can't bring myself to use any kind of modern sight on a sidelock. I've had around 12 inlines and never hunted with any of them. I start missing a sidelock and sell the inline and buy a sidelock. I'm too poor to own more than one gun, so I have to sell one to buy one.

That's what happen this time. Plus, I broke my back again 4 weeks ago. That reminded me how fragile my back is. I've broke it 4 times in the last 5 years. Usually cracked vertebrae. Two this time. So, a lighter inline with a peep and FO front sight cures both problems. I was given a new Triumph from a friend. That made the decision much easier. I started by putting a scope on it. Also from the same friend. He'll be upset when I send him back the scope, but I just don't get along with scopes. Plus, it made the gun over a pound heavier.

So, that's where I am. A Triumph with a peep. I think this is the year i'll finally use an inline to hunt with. I put in for elk, buck muley and bear. I have a friend who's 100% Cheyenne who is going to haul out the meat from any game I shoot. He wants the hide from all of them, and i'l give him half the meat too. That takes a big load off me. My back can't handle it anymore.

Sorry for running my mouth, but I wanted to explain why i'm doing it. Getting old forces me to do things I don't want to, but that's part of getting old.
I'm kinda the same but in reverse... I've owned several sidelocks's but have yet to use one during hunting season.  I've always used an inline for hunting. Ive bought & sold several every time I change my mind.  Only difference is I usually have several inline and sidelocks at the same time.  I decided to keep one of each, that way when I change my mind I don't have to go through the buy & sell process, just grab the one I want out of the safe!  Maybe you should save some money up and do the same thing?  One sidelocks & one inline.  I'm currently going with a Knight ultralight and a T/C Renegade.  Good luck with your new decision.

I'm going to stick to the inlines now. I actually cracked a vertebra in my upper back shouldering a sidelock once. I need to stick to a light gun with sights I can see.

I've owned and hunted with sidelocks for 35 years. That's a good run and enough. Time to move on.

You need to be put into an entire body cast and only removed 1 day prior to hunting season :lol!:

Back