Getting the Flintlock ready

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Went to the TOW website and ordered some supplies I needed to get the 50cal Traditions Flintlock back into running shape. I ordered some Fuller flints and a new front sight. Going to take the gun apart now and grease up the lock and most likely re-harden the frizzen in the shop to make sure its up and ready for the Olde Eynsford 3f test. After that I will need to cast a small supply of .490" round balls.

Feels good to hold that flinter again. Now if she'll shoot!

Nothing more fun than shooting a real 'oldie' , if that lock is tuned right it'll hold it's own againt caplocks.

Pete if the flintlock is tuned well it is not much worse than a run of the mill caplock.

I'd like to believe that, and it's the only hope I have for another flintlock. I really don't enjoy any kind of delay.

I enjoy shooting offhand the best, and it's the only way they let you shoot at BP shoots. So, I can't hold the sights dead steady in offhand shooting. They wave around, and I time when the wave will pass over the target, and pull the trigger. Yes, pull the trigger. Squeeze works for bench work, but not offhand. Set triggers are ideal for offhand. For that to work I need instant ignition, or i'll be past the target when it fires. I have doubts a flintlock can shoot that fast, but maybe. I'll love to try one with a good lock.

Except for the time I had my sights on a nice deer, and the gun didn't fire. I looked in the pan, and all the powder had leaked out.

I took the name Capper on a forum once for a reason. ;)

Latest posts

Back