Globe sight fiber optic

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m sure I’m not the first person to do this but I thought it turned out pretty decent and should allow me to use my globe front sight more effectively for hunting. I don’t hunt in states that don’t allow fiber optics so I’m all clear for hunting. Haven’t take any shots with it yet and I’ll have to hold at the 6 o’clock position but I think it is going to work well. Anyone else have any mods for their globe sights?D98F3041-AABF-4293-BB3C-6EDBE75EB6C5.jpeg673B0B0D-B374-45AD-AF15-613A68F050D4.jpeg

I’ve been looking into this as well. I like what you’ve done there, I’m just not sure I could keep from breaking it while hiking around hunting.

What size is the fiber? From my bow hunting days I liked the .019 or .029 diameter the best.

I’ve been looking into this as well. I like what you’ve done there, I’m just not sure I could keep from breaking it while hiking around hunting.

What size is the fiber? From my bow hunting days I liked the .019 or .029 diameter the best.
I bought .040 fiber optic from eBay. I could have gone smaller but I wasn’t really sure what size I needed and didn’t want it to be too small. I cut the piece of fiber optic short enough to be mostly contained inside the globe housing. But the nice part about the globe sights is how easy it is to change out the inserts. So you could carry different ones in the field and swap them out for mid day hunting or just carry backups. The insert that I modified was one I was never going to use anyway so if it fails…oh well. Go back to my normally used ones

I’m sure I’m not the first person to do this but I thought it turned out pretty decent and should allow me to use my globe front sight more effectively for hunting. I don’t hunt in states that don’t allow fiber optics so I’m all clear for hunting. Haven’t take any shots with it yet and I’ll have to hold at the 6 o’clock position but I think it is going to work well. Anyone else have any mods for their globe sights?View attachment 19973View attachment 19974
Ok that’s just too damn cool. You guys are so innovative.

Couple things. IMO you should shorten the fiber optic. Being that long it’s likely to break from recoil as it’s only supported on one side. I’m in the process of going to a globe front sight. I may cut an opening in the top to allow more light inside the globe.

I also saw one guy paint the front of the globe gave with fluorescent paint to be able to pick it up faster.

Let’s us know how it works out.

Ok that’s just too damn cool. You guys are so innovative.

Couple things. IMO you should shorten the fiber optic. Being that long it’s likely to break from recoil as it’s only supported on one side. I’m in the process of going to a globe front sight. I may cut an opening in the top to allow more light inside the globe.

I also saw one guy paint the front of the globe gave with fluorescent paint to be able to pick it up faster.

Let’s us know how it works out.
I didn’t think about it breaking but that’s a good point to remember. I’ll update this post after I shoot with it on. I left it the length that it is because I wanted it to go to the end of the globe housing, so it would be exposed to the light. I can always shorten it…can’t add length to it, other than replacing the fiber optic (which I can do). I have thought about cutting a window in the top of mine as well. Let me know if you do it and how it turns out.

Lyman 17. Can’t remember the height. I do remember that the first one I put on it was too short and had to get a little bit taller one
The Williams Globe is a little taller than the Lyman but they both take a dovetail mount so getting more height is easy.

I haven’t. It’s made in two sizes, 18 and 22mm. The 17 is smaller than either. Good idea, too bad they went after the air gun market instead of high powered…
That’s a shame I was thinking they might screw together. That’s a great looking fiber optic. Wondering if it could be fitted and welded to a dove tail base so it could fit a muzzleloader.

I tried to make something similar a couple years ago. I had some family health issues that took focus from the lower priority projects. That would fill the nitch nicely

That’s a shame I was thinking they might screw together. That’s a great looking fiber optic. Wondering if it could be fitted and welded to a dove tail base so it could fit a muzzleloader.
I’m looking into it. The 22mm tunnel is great for the field of view for hunting and the bright dot shows up really well at dusk and dawn. Fiber is available down to .019” for a fine bead and extended ranges…

for anyone who’s been looking into this, the Lyman 20 is a much larger sight tunnel which is much better in low light, and Lee Shaver sells an excellent set of sight inserts from circles to crosshairs and post sights.

Last edited:
I installed this on my stainless Renegade last year. Still need to build a one piece solid shim for my Lyman peep sight. I don’t think washers are going to work with as much height as I need to raise it. Thinking of making the solid shim out of one of the chunks of aluminum I have laying around.Should be easy to cut shape and drill. Will also need to get some longer screws. I’ll get it done of these days.

Attachments

• 47C3DBF9-754F-42AA-B2F3-010C3D50522F.jpeg
    47C3DBF9-754F-42AA-B2F3-010C3D50522F.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 7A35E082-DCA8-4E37-BCE9-47C15959B3B9.jpeg
    7A35E082-DCA8-4E37-BCE9-47C15959B3B9.jpeg
    52.9 KB · Views: 31
  • D975D0E0-8CCB-494A-8673-A6995054C901.jpeg
    D975D0E0-8CCB-494A-8673-A6995054C901.jpeg
    34.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 9333C8BE-00CA-4439-9D80-EA254915DFA1.jpeg
    9333C8BE-00CA-4439-9D80-EA254915DFA1.jpeg