GM fast twist 50 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rat trapper

Reaction score
Just ordered a Green Mountian drop in 50 caliber fast twist barrel for my TC Hawken. This should be a better bullet barrel and I have a very large stock of 240 grain lead bullets and sabots to shoot up. Also have a bunch of other bullets and sabots to shot too. Anyone here got one of these barrels?

Yep. Have one on a TC Hawken and one on a Renegade.

1.jpg

They shoot pretty well. :wink:

50Hawk-005.jpg

A.jpg

R50-042.jpg

I have three of them. Two flintlocks and one percussion. They have a 1-28 twist. They are basically the same barrel you'd find on a Knight Rifle. Very excellent sabot shooting rifles.

Mine like the 240 grain XTP with about 85 grains of powder. I have pushed them harder, but I found the very best accuracy was with 85 grains. I have pushed them all the way up to 110 grains.

They are well made, easy to clean, and just a great barrel. Depending on the year of your Hawken, you might have to customize the barrel a little to make it fit. I had to take a small amount off the thimble rib that rides under the barrel, so the stock could accept the barrel. A Dremel tool made this just an easy thing to do.

CIMG0004.jpg

The Cur Hawken, GM 1-28 45cal. williams receiver sight and Lyman Globe front.

GM Barrel

I have one on my Cabela's Sporterized Hawken with a Lyman Peepsight and took 2 deer with it last year. It's a great shooter with 100 grains of T-7 ffg and the Barnes 250 grain T-EZ bullet.

i put one on my renegade about 10 years ago. Great shooter and very accurate. You will love the upgrade.

I have a pretty good supply of Barnes 250 grain expander bullets that I think I will zero the rifle for hunting use. I use the 300 grain expanders in my Knight disc extreme. I am looking forward to playing with this new barrel. I thought $184 shipped was a pretty good price for something others often complained they could not find.

IMO great price. I bought one slightly used last spring for $200 shipped. I wouldn't sell it for that little now though :D

I have the GM 1/28" barrel on a RMC flinter. Mine likes 80 grains of swiss with the 300 grain deadcenters.

Well the fast twist 50 cal GM barrel arrived yesterday. It was packed in a display style buble pack of plastic. Had a heck of a time trying to get things out of all that plastic. Good part is it came with bullets,oil, solvent and patches. Weather hasn't been very good for test shooting, may be a while before I can get it on the range. Bad thing is, I'm thinking I need another stock & lock to sit the new barrel in. I already have plenty of TC 15/16 rifles, but it would be nice to make the new barrel a complete rifle.

I think I'm going to like this new set up.

I tried the new barrel in my 45 cal TC Hawken and it dropped right in, nothing needed to be done, except go shoot it real soon.

Saturday was pretty nice weather for shooting (about as good as it gets in Dec). I checked the zero on my 36 caliber Seneca, as I'm pretty sure my hunting buddy will be over here soon wanting to hunt rabbits or squirrels with a muzzle loader. As I write this all I see is snow outside today. Now I'm wishing I had taken the time to shoot the new barrel as well. Well I really do need to order another Lyman 57 rear sight and a TC fiber optic front for this barrel in the mean time.

fast twist barrel

has anyone tried a 45/70 twist, 1-20 inch, to shoot 400 to 500 grain mini bullets for long range? I've tried a couple 1-28 in twist barrels with 400 grain & heavier with less than satisfactory results. I guess it's just a matter of swallowing the frog & ordering a cut rifled barrel at a price that will cut deep Into my sick wife's medicine budget. I sure don't want to sacrifice one of my guns just to buy a barrel. thanks, bottomcoon

I have a .50 LRH with globe fron and Vernier rear that is awesome. I just bought a duplicate on sale for half off in .45

I haven't tried a 1-20 for BP but they work great for smokeless. The .45 LRH I bought last week had some light staining inside (like rust on a stainless blade after running it through the dish washer) but several Kroil soakings, brushing, and JB polishings it is all gone. I just need to UBC it this week.

It's a 1-30" and have bullets from 405-488gr to try. Miller twist rule says they should be on the ragged edge of ok. We'll see next week.

A 45cal 1-30 will likely max out on roughly a 405gr conical. IdahoRon on another forum has shot them with good results. Ive shot upto a 360gr conical in a 45 1-30 with excellent results.

As far as the 45cal 1-20, yes its excellent with 400gr+ conicals. Just ask any White .451 owner. Doc White still offers a 1-20 and a 1-18 twist .451 Sporting Rifles. Accuracy is supposed to be extremely good.

Very purdy too
http://www.whitemuzzleloading.com/image ... 0Rifle.htm

451 1-18 Manton breech made for 500gr+ conicals
SptgRifle27FullRight.jpg

I wanted one of the English Sporting Rifles so badly I commissioned Doc to do a build while I was in Iraq from '09 to '10. About a month after I got home it arrived and I was horrified. The inletting was awful and there was proud wood or metal throughout. The globe front was sitting so far off center tht the dovetail base was protruding half an inch from the barrel. He claimed it was because that was how it was boresighted. Additionally, when the hammer was pulled to the rear it made contact with the stock. He claimed it was damage from shipping but the rifle was packaged in such a way that I don't see how the hammer could have been pulled to the rear, goughed the stock, and fall back to the nipple. He was quite polite about the whole thing and it was resolved.

We'll see how the 1-30" does. I got in the 460gr NE bullets yesterday. The 405gr, 420gr, and 488gr BS bullets are due later this week. Both casters seemed to think they were worth trying and they were cheap enough I bought 50 of each to try.

Well the Lyman 57 peep sight arrived few days ago. I have the long range hunter (fast twist 1-28) barrel on my TC Hawken with the GM 40 cal barrel. That rifle already had a Lyman peep on it. So I pulled the top off of the peep and put the top from the new sight on it. Now I can use the same stock for either Green Mountain barrels. On the underside where it won't show, I used white paint to mark the tops of those sights so I can keep them straight. That is what I like so much about the Lyman 57 peep is being able to just push a button and pull the top off. They return to zero when replaced.

Now I just need it to warm up enough for me to go to the range.

Latest posts

Back