GPH found a good load

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
It has been a cold winter. And shooting has not been possible some days, just due to winds and extreme cold. Last night was -24F below at the house, but the sun was out and a promise of warming up got me excited. Finally it got above 0?s and the thermometer said it was actually 8 above. Well that's good enough for me. I just hope it was not the sun shine on the thermometer causing the nice reading.

So I grabbed a couple rifles. One was a CVA Tracker Carbine that I mounted a red dot scope on. But a problem I faced shooting that was, the bright sun shine. We have new snow, so the bright sun made it almost impossible to see the red dot. Even with the lens filter.

DSCN5064-001_zpsb6930271.jpg

The glare off the snow and the sun shining to the side of the rifle made that red dot near impossible. I even put the thing on the largest square that should be seen. I even suspected the battery died, but once in the house, in the dark it was plain as day. So we shot that rifle just a few times and decided to get the other rifle moving.

The other rifle was a 50 caliber Lyman Great Plains Hunter Flintlock. I wanted to try some bullets I cast for it. These were out of a LEE mold, .458 and in pure lead weigh 420-423 grains and sized down to .451 to shoot out of my .451 White Rifle, so I threw them in a sabot (MMP HPH 24) and loaded them on top of 70 grains of 3f Black Powder.

DSCN5067-001_zps3fdc1881.jpg

I set the target at only 35 yards. I did not feel like walking a lot through the deep snow, since I was shooting non scoped rifles.

DSCN5063-001_zps6b0b8515.jpg

The two hits low left were out of the Tracker Carbine. I just centered the bulls eye on what I thought was where the dot was. And it was hitting the bulls eye with a roundball. But the group to the right of the bull were the .451 420 grain all lead cast bullet out of the GPH.

At 35 yards that bull was a pretty easy target and I was going to quit as I was getting a little cold. But still wanted to shoot. Then I saw a small can of polyurethane that had hardened on me, and was in the back room. So I grabbed that and ran it out and set it on the box. I was sure it would explode or make a really neat splash.

Once loaded I shot aiming at the can and it did not move. I thought ... what the heck!! I missed. So I loaded again. Again the flintlock flashed and the gun boomed.. and the can never moved. Now I was mad. So I loaded up one more time and thought.. if I miss this time, I am going in the house.

I fired and the can never moved... I was devastated. So I put the rifle in the house where it was safe, and then I went to pick up the targets.

DSCN5069-001_zps17399fdc.jpg

DSCN5070-001_zps19748e15.jpg

Needless to say, I was smiling when I gathered up the targets. It suddenly was not so cold. But having put the rifle in the house, I decided to call it a day, clean my two rifles, and get some coffee...

Overall it was pretty nice outside, and shooting again was a real pleasure. While granted it was bitter cold last night, at least it warmed up today and gave me a chance to make some smoke.

:D

Good shootin' there cayuga :!: I can't wait to get out there myself but the closest range for me is 115 miles round trip. It's up in WI. in the town of Bristol just over the state line. Ever go there to shoot :?:

Ray.......... :wink:

Nice shooting Dave!
I still haven't braved the cold yet. These old bones need a bit more warmth then 8 above. Phill says it's gonna be an early Spring...sure hope he's right! :)

How fast are the bullets moving that hit the can? thru and thru without knocking the can over is way cool...I mean way cold :D

I did kind of the same thing with a water jug and a .36 cal precussion rifle...I think it was a TC. The gallon jug just sat there at 50 yards...no explosion of water like we thought would happen...but the jug split on the back side and emptied and each shot after just passed through the plastic...no movement...we thought we were missing...

Congrats on getting out...those bullets look deadly...can you use them to hunt with the sabots...we can't here in Colorado

hawgslayer said:
:D

Good shootin' there cayuga :!: I can't wait to get out there myself but the closest range for me is 115 miles round trip. It's up in WI. in the town of Bristol just over the state line. Ever go there to shoot :?:

Ray.......... :wink:

Wow you come all the way to Bristol Wisconsin to shoot? Actually there are a number of towns with Bristol in the name. There is the Town of Bristol over by Sun Prairie, Wi outside of Madison. But I am sure you mean the one in Kenosha Co. I have never been there to shoot. But that is a heck of a drive to shoot a gun.

bloodhound said:
How fast are the bullets moving that hit the can? thru and thru without knocking the can over is way cool...I mean way cold :D

I did kind of the same thing with a water jug and a .36 cal precussion rifle...I think it was a TC. The gallon jug just sat there at 50 yards...no explosion of water like we thought would happen...but the jug split on the back side and emptied and each shot after just passed through the plastic...no movement...we thought we were missing...

Congrats on getting out...those bullets look deadly...can you use them to hunt with the sabots...we can't here in Colorado

I have no idea of their velocity. But if I had to guess, I would guess only about 1300 fps, maybe even slower. 70 grains of powder is not a lot of powder. But when you weight 420 grains.. that's a lot of wack!

I too was shocked when I walked up to that can and saw those three holes. And pleased I might add. You can see the frozen or hardened polyurethane in the one picture. So I must have shot just over the level of that, or I think the can would have flipped in the air.

And yes, this is a legal deer hunting load here in Wisconsin. And I have little to no doubt a very lethal one at that. That large chunk of lead hitting a deer would really put the hurt on it. One reason I like big lead.

They are talking warmer weather in the future, up to 20 degrees.. why that's almost a heat wave here. So I will be able to get out and shoot some more. That flintlock worked perfect right up until the end. The flint in that rifle finally is giving out. After over 70 rounds off one flint... that to me is amazing. Normally if I get 35 rounds off a flint I am happy.

Good shoot'n Dave! Glad to see you found some good loads for the GPH. I bought a GPH hunter a few months ago in .54 along with a Lee REAL mold and a Lyman great plains mold. You may have already tried those, but I will give them both a chance in the next few days. fortunately, Colorado has been in the 50's & 60's lately, so i can't use weather as an excuse. I can really appreciate the fortitude you must have to shoot flint anywhere below 30 degrees!

The 50 cal bullshops conicals I have were cast with 30:1 instead of pure lead, so that's what I'm starting with in the GPH. They measure out to about 9 BHN.
So many things to try.....

9 BHN is still real close to pure lead. That is only 6 BHN. So that is a good bullet. The main thing is something the rifle can grab.

Cold temps don't bother me. Wind bothers me. I've shot at -20 below and its not that bad, as long as there is no wind.

You're right about the wind part. I hate wind at ANY temp and we get plenty here!

Isn't that a mini ball?
I have the 385? Grain 50 Cal Lee Mini-ball mold.

I have cast a few of these, tried them, but couldn't get them to shoot accurately.

They slip down the barrel easily, but their accuracy just lacks a lot.
I never thought about Sabots on them. . but I would have thought that would negate the hollow back for expansion of the sleeve against the side.

I have tried Lee's Alox. . Crisco. . . these helped to some degree in accuracy.

is the GPH a faster twist barrel? I was surprised that it would stabilize but then thought hat the hunter might have a astern twist rate

cayuga said:
So I grabbed a couple rifles. One was a CVA Tracker Carbine that I mounted a red dot scope on. But a problem I faced shooting that was, the bright sun shine. We have new snow, so the bright sun made it almost impossible to see the red dot. Even with the lens filter.

The glare off the snow and the sun shining to the side of the rifle made that red dot near impossible. I even put the thing on the largest square that should be seen. I even suspected the battery died, but once in the house, in the dark it was plain as day. So we shot that rifle just a few times and decided to get the other rifle moving.

e.

This thread should serve as PSA to all those that are flirting with the idea of putting a red dot on a ML for big game hunting.

guitarpicva - the Lyman Great Plains Hunter has a 1-32 twist. Its made to shoot large conicals and even sabots. Although I was shooting roundball and 50-70 grains of Black Powder with it, and it actually did pretty good.

Dwayne - no that is not a minnie ball. It is cast from a LEE 405-457 mold. This is a bullet cast for the 45/70 Government Rifle Cartridge. When cast with the proper alloy mix for the Government it is supposed to throw a 405 grain bullet. When I cast them from pure lead, they come out between 420-423 grains. Now remember these are .457-8 in diameter. I have shot them out of a Knight Orange sabot at this size. But instead, I size them down to .451 with a LEE reducer sizer and they then come out normally 419-420 grains. I then shoot these as a full bore greased conical out of my White M97 .451 rifle. And I also shoot them out of .50 caliber rifles in a .452 sabot.

These are not slip fit in the GPH. I can push them under the muzzle with thumb pressure which is nice, but it still takes a relative firm push with the ramrod to seat them. I also notice (since I was not swabbing .. too cold) that at the breech I was getting fouling and had to make a little extra push to get them to seat all the way.

What was very apparent was when I cleaned the rifle. I have it a water bath of course, and as the patch reached the breech you could feel that slight "ring" of fouling powder down there. But it scrubbed right out. Then I sent down a .22 caliber brush and cleaned the cone and that was just packed with burnt powder. So I was glad I took the extra effort to work over the cone at the bottom of these Lyman rifles.

I am sure this is an excellent hunting load. Hitting a deer with that chunk of lead would have to do the job.

Latest posts

Back