Ground blinds????

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had an Ameristep Doghouse blind for a couple of years now. I use it some for spring turkey hunting and I used it extensively last year during the muzzleloading season when the weather was pretty rough. So far I haven't seen any drawbacks to it at all, except maybe visibility compared to sitting in a treestand. Some of the pros of using a ground blind would be sitting inside out of the wind/rain/snow, scent containment to some extent, sitting on a comfortable seat of your choice, taking anything and everything you want to the blind and having it all at arm's reach, being able to get away with movement, being able to make a steady shot by using a Stoney Point bipod or something comparable, and being able to take a young hunter with you just to name a few. I would have to say that buying a pop-up ground blind still ranks as one of the best hunting gear purchases that I have ever made, bar none. If you buy one, I'm pretty sure you'll never regret it!

P.S.-The Double Bull blinds are pretty well the Cadillac of hunting blinds also, they cost more, but I'm sure they are probably worth it! Good luck!

One of my worries of a camo ground blind is visibility. Not mine, but if I'm on the ground and not on my property, I want to be sure that another hunter doesn't accidently shoot at a deer with me in the line-of-sight. Maybe a hunter orange vest tied to the top/outside of the blind if needed?

Just a thought.....

I have a double bull blind and it is great. Very well made easy to set up and very quiet. I love it.

I would say Bluedot that if they knew you, your are better off hiding!if you know what I mean. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have an Ameristep Outhouse. It's pretty small, BUT very portable. It's certainly not big enough for two but plenty big enough for one. I have the thin L-shaped tent spikes that you can push into the ground with your hand to secure. It doesn't take long at ALL. Basically, you take the blind out of its' bag is it almost opens itself. Then secure with at least four stakes(six is better) and you're ready to go! Sometimes there just isn't a place for a treestand and that's where this comes into play! Things you MUST have are Shooting Stix and a chair so there is a good bit of "stuff" you have to bring along. I like it and have no complaints. I took the liberty of unfolding it on my back deck and taking a few pics this AM:

2005rangepics%20118.jpg

2005rangepics%20120.jpg

2005rangepics%20123.jpg

BTW....It looks a LOT better when staked down!

Chuck that's awesome!! Thanks for taking the time to do that. My intentions are to take my 5 yr. old with me for the first time deer hunting, so I'll probably need a little more room than the outhouse model. I'm gonna have to keep the outings short and fun to keep his attention span from wainning.

Jim, I bought the Ameristep Outhouse model 2 years ago. You cant beat their products.

Thanks Loggy... Good to see you on the board!! I got my eye on a couple blinds on eBay... so we'll see. I figure whatever I buy has to last at least 5 yrs. So I hate buying things twice :evil: I'd rather spend the money for what my father would call "intrinsic quality".

Have any of you ever built ground blinds? We have built quite a few. One we made out of hazel-brush and it was actually pretty cool. It actually looked like an igloo, only made out of hazel-brush and bushes.

Others we made out of logs we linked open, and then with brush and evergreen branches tied and tucked into them. They work real good also.

If you know a farmer, those large bales of hay work excellent if you hollow them out. Just be careful with a muzzleloader, they will burn. We also made them out of standard hay bales, like a fort, for field hunting. The animals will walk right up to them and past them.

My friends even went so far as to dig a pit and then surround that with hay bales. You sat on a chair in there, and could bench rest right between the bales when it was time to shoot.

It never ceases to amaze me the effort some of us will go through to hunt from comfort... :D

cayuga said:
It never ceases to amaze me the effort some of us will go through to hunt from comfort... :D
Plus, the older you get, comfort becomes a factor more and more! That's why I am liking my Ameristep blind better all the time! :lol:

I am giving you a link to an awesome blind! It's on ebay,i bought one last year...just bought 3 more. So far,they are the best out there for your money!!!!!.It doesnt say it in the description,but it also has flaps on each side of the blind (on top) All you do is flip them up (velcro ) and bingo..hunter orange is visible.they arent super big...but if you are worried about other hunters..just get some orange and tie it to the roof for more visibility. This blind also has a zip open roof,with a screen for those warm days,very awesome blind,and under 100 bucks! http://cgi.ebay.com/XH5B3-93567-New-Gui ... dZViewItem

I have 7 ground boxes built, well actually two are up on a platforms about 8 ft up. The 5 that are on the ground were built on runners so I can just hook up the 4 wheeler and move them easily if I desire. I've been hunting this same property for over 15 years, they don't get moved much, they don't need to.

I have one that is 6' x 8' that I built to be able to hunt with my father when he got older and his eyesight was getting pretty poor. He was seeing double the last year he tried to hunt with me at 79. I sat in the box with him and he killed a medium eight point at 60 yds with one shot. I saw the deer coming towards us and told him to get his gun ready as I opened the window. When the deer stepped into the edge of the field I asked my dad if he saw him, he replied "yeah, both of them" and started laughing. He said "which one do I shoot?" I said "you pick" he said "I'm going to shoot the one closet to the ground" He did and the deer only ran a few yards.

He was as proud of that deer as any he had ever taken and I was even more happy for him. We both knew that that would most likely be his last chance at hunting. He was born in 1919 in the hills of Tennessee, where hunting as a youngster meant food on the table. I hunted with him from 8 or 9 years old until that last trip with him when I was 43. He was in the early stages of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's when he made that last hunt with me. We always talked about hunting, and all of the great memories we shared together up until his death last year at 84.

Sorry to get off track, thinking about the big ground blind for two brought back way I built it to begin with.

There are all at least 4'x5' x 6 ft tall, with sliding or fold up windows, nice padded office swivel chairs, carpet, heaters, shelves.

After 30 plus years of sitting in treestands, and getting old, I like to just kick back and watch the deer in comfort.

Kim

Kim.. great story!! It reminded me of today. A friend and I were cutting and splitting some firewood up for the upcoming winter and got to talking deer hunting. He comment it was a shame his father could not deer hunt anymore. His father had a stroke and lost the use of his left side.

I then offered the use of a ground blind I have where the shots are normally real close.. we are talking within 35 yards. And I told him, your dad could shoot my .44 magnum Ruger Redhawk if I threw a RED DOT on it. He was real excited about the idea. So I ordered the mount for the Redhawk and I have the RED DOT already.. so it looks like the deer hunting will be going on as usual.

I got my blind today and it looks like there will be plenty of room for myself and favorite hunting partner. I should be able to tie him up and gag him without a single deer seeing me... I hope I survive :D

matrixblind.jpg

matrixblind2.jpg

Latest posts

Back