Grouse has been slacking off-- the Loggy Hoggy Box?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can hardly say "I'll pass" when you have already been eating pieces and bits of it all your life-- better than ham, it is Spam! :shock:

Ate Spam once. I worked in a large meat packing place back in '79-'81. You're absolutely correct about the mouse excrements in hot dogs. But trust me,,,mouse turds were very minor compared to other parts that were used... :shock:

:D Thanks charlie for chiming in here!!! Need all the support i can get. Think these guys were just about ready to write ole Loggy off.

I too will opt for the pig's feet & stomach over the brains. Man, MY stomach's starting to growl just thinkin about this great stuff. :lol:

Oh, well. One of my favs for years has been sweetbreads-- sometimes, we are just better off letting our tastebuds doing the analysis. 8)

Loggy
Grew up across the susky from you. Last hog maw I ate was bought at the Green Dragon in Ephrata. This isn't good, now I'm hungry for scrapple!
charlie

Been to the Green Dragon many times charlie. My Daughters headin to Kutztown U in August so i will be traveling past Ephrata many times via Rt. 222 the next 4 plus years ...haulin money to her! :lol:

Man, you cant beat ole Lancaster/Berks/York counties for some of the best Hog delicacies on this Earth. :D

:D JJ, if i have time before trip I will bring a stuffed hog stomach...aka Hog Maw (ready to go) except to bake. Its takes some time to prepare & likely between hunting & BSing I wouldnt have time to do there. :lol:

If I remember they had a full size range there with oven? I only used the microwave when I was there.

Chuck, you can just eat the stuffing which is sausage, potatoes etc.. Very yummy! There will be some delicious juices in roaster that you can latel over stuffing to really bring it "Up A Notch!". The best part though is the nicely browned stomach sliced with the stuffing.. My wife still will only eat the stuffing. :lol:

Couple weeks before trip i will be on the lookout for a decent size stomach so alot can feed on it! :lol:

Loggy:

Do the hog brains have to be fresh or can they be frozen? Also, what's the best way to liberate them from their resting place? A neighbor of mine is going to be butchering a couple of hogs in 6 weeks or so..... The processor called and pushed back the date, so the hogs will be closer to 300# than the 200# that he was shooting for.

Loggy said:
Couple weeks before trip i will be on the lookout for a decent size stomach so alot can feed on it! :lol:

Rita can likely help you if you want a yummy tummy to await you. :)

BD, i only ever had fresh but it likely could be easily frozen.. Unless were making souse... a good hack saw to carefully cut thru and halve open and remove. Corn mealed and pan fried it is pretty tasty.

Heres a recipie i found if you want to utilize the entire head. You will need a decent size butchering kettle. My Dad did this when there was time but more times than not just removed brains and cut tongue out for pickeling. There is so much going on butchering a hog.... screwing with the head was only done when adequate help was on hand! :lol: I personally would just salvage the tongue & brains and toss the rest.

"HEAD CHEESE--SOUSE

After cleaning the hog head and removing all the hair it was cut into quarters and soaked in cold water overnight. It was given a thorough rinsing in cold water and put into the pot along with other scraps like skin, bones, tongue and heart. This was simmered until the meat slipped from the bone and the skin was easily pierced with your finger. The skins were cooled and ground through the fine plate, about 1/8 th inch holes, on the meat grinder and the meat was picked from the bone and ground through the large plate, about 1/2 inch holes. This was mixed together with broth to the consistency of cake batter. you then added the spices.

FOR 1 HOGS HEAD

2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
dash red pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
dash of marjoram
dash of savory

Bring this mixture to a boil and remove from heat. Pour into loaf pans and chill. This will setup into loafs and can be refrigerated for a few days and frozen for a month or two. A head cheese press is sometimes used. It can range from a press designed for the job to a heavy weight set on top of the loaf pan. The hogs head usually produces enough gelatin to set the loaf without a press."

Break out the crackers ! :lol:

Ya can't say it's bad without trying it! :D

Loggy, I don't think I'll be making Souse, but there are a few butcher shops in the area that sell it. I remember having sandwiches made with Souse as a kid. I will be talking to the neighbor when it gets closer to butchering time........

Heck, on some of the fishing trips, the cook would ask if one of us would like to donate a Mahi-Mahi, and he'd start cutting it almost as soon as it hit the deck for sushi. MMMMMM good!

Loggy
That head cheese sounds great, My grandpa used to make it.It was super good. Haven't had any since the 40's though.
Redclub

Latest posts

Back