Hammer to nipple distance.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All,
My latest project is a 22 cal percussion single shot pistol. This is my first percussion pistol build, I make the breech and purchase the powder drum and nipple. My last step in this build is to place the drum on the breech in the correct location for the nipple to be within a given distance from the closed hammer. Question, should the hammer just contact the nipple when closed without the cap in place?

Hello All,
My latest project is a 22 cal percussion single shot pistol. This is my first percussion pistol build, I make the breech and purchase the powder drum and nipple. My last step in this build is to place the drum on the breech in the correct location for the nipple to be within a given distance from the closed hammer. Question, should the hammer just contact the nipple when closed without the cap in place?

Full contact based on my rifles

But what is also critical is the angle of the face of the hammer in relation to the nipple/cap at that critical meeting point

Hello All,
For years I would carefully set up my percussion revolver hammers for non contact with the cones by about .005”. (Ruger Old Army revolvers were setup this way from the factory.) Close enough for positive ignition yet the cap remains in place and drops off as the cylinder revolves to advance to the next chamber. This is how Colt designed them to function. Your pistol is under different design considerations but I would still advise very light or no contact at all to avoid battering the cone or the hammer face.

Back