Handguns anyone?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corncob

Reaction score
Without trying too hard, several buddies have gotten me interested in handgun hunting. I've never shot a big game capable handgun. Please point me the right direction.

BR's Cob

Ruger makes a good hunting handgun. You may want to start there. .44mag or 480 ruger would both be a good place to start.

I have a Taurus Raging Bull that - like a lot. It is chambered in 454 casull.

Depends on what game and area/way you like to hunt. For woods hunting whitetail a good 44mag with a 2x scope is ideal. For hunting longer shot areas a boltgun in 7mm-08 with a variable is better.

I never really considered a bolt or contender/encore style handgun.

For woods hunting whitetail a good 44mag with a 2x scope is ideal.

That's what I used for years. S&W 629 Classic .44 RemMag with a 2X Leupold. That rig will easily shoot a 3 inch group at 100yds with a 240gr Sierra JHC and 24.0gr W296. It would probably shoot better than that if I could hold it steadier. For hunting whitetail in the woods, hog hunting, black bear, etc..that's a hard combo to beat. I don't see the point in getting a Casull/.460/.480/.500 if that all you are going to do. If 75-100yds isn't enough range for you...go the 7mm-08/Encore route. I have a range buddy that has an Encore handgun in .223. That sucker is CRAZY accurate. 7mm08/140gr Ballistic Tip would probably be hard to beat..

I like a 180 gr Rem JHP at 1600 fps, loaded my own with either H108(surplus) or H110. Little flatter then the 240gr loads and pleny tough enough bullet to anchor a big hawg buck.

One buddy has a .41Mag and is quite happy with it. Two others bought Smith 460's and they cannot quite talking about them. Another has a 454 Casul and will probably sell it an get a 460. Please forgive me if I butcher language of handguns. It is only b/c I don't know a dang thing about them, but will get well educated before I buy.

I will probably hunt deer with the potential for long range shots and someday would like to hog hunt. I'll get, and take, the opportunity to shoot before I buy.

BR's Gregg

Had to post this one.....

110_1048.jpg

Yes siree!!! I do like .41 REMINGTON Mag. Only animal I ever shot with a pistol. DRT :!: 8) Great pic Jeff.

The 41 mag is a dandy gun, only drawback I see is low resale but that may change and high ammo/brass cost. However if you get a deal on a used one I would grab it for a deer gun quick.
Another thing to consider is SA vs DA, the DA guns have quicker lock time and are easier to shoot, but some of the SA Rugers are very accurate.
A Freedom Arms SA though is a rare and very nice piece that will outshoot me and most other handgunners I know.

hunting handgun.

I agree with rifleman the 41 mag is a sleeper. It has 20% less recoil than the 44 mag and I doubt that a Whitetail would know the difference what it was shot with...41 or 44.

Look for a used Ruger super black hawk or better yet a Ruger bisley in 44
or 41mag (41 mag will cost you though). The Ruger bisley grip is the best grip Ruger ever put on a single action revolver. The bisley grip gives you much more control surfaces to steady the revolver and roll with the recoil.

Two others bought Smith 460's and they cannot quite talking about them. Another has a 454 Casul and will probably sell it an get a 460

I'd still rather have a .44 Rem Mag for whitetail. There is a LOT of recoil differences between those and the .44 Mag but not a lot of effective range difference. I also can't tell you how many instances I know of where scopes simply will not stay put on .454s, 460s, and 500s. If I was going to hunt a GRIZZLY, those would be a fine choice but for a whitetail, the .44 is the way to go. Firearm selection, ammo selection, reloading component selection...I'd certainly START with a .44 and make mine a Smith & Wesson please! :D

The one to get!

Scope base

BUT

I will probably hunt deer with the potential for long range shots

I'd probably jump on a 7mm08 Encore. Easy 200yd whitetail gun if you do your part. Handload to your recoil comfort zone if you want. But remember if you want even a 200yd ELK load..you've got it.

and someday would like to hog hunt

Nothing beats a good revolver in the proper cartridge for a hog gun!

JC - Where did the bullet hit that beast? I'm assuming it did not exit.

R-man - It took me a few seconds to figger out the SA DA stuff.

At the moment, everyone's input has deflected my interest away from the SW 460, which BTW weighs in at a mere 6 lbs. and seems a bit unwieldy. Current thinking includes a 2 or 3 moa red dot in the mix.

It's been so bloody cold that it is difficult to think of doing anything but staying warm. Throw another cob on the fire.

BR's

Corncob said:
JC - Where did the bullet hit that beast? I'm assuming it did not exit.

Corncob;

Jim, aka Venisoneatr aka the "Executioner" felled that beast.... :D

One shot...to the head.

JC

Corncob said:
Where did the bullet hit that beast? I'm assuming it did not exit.

It was a wild, dog barkin' hog snortin' scene. Teeth were poppin, fur was flying, guide was shouting, Nug and Jeff petrified of the great beast and I came onto the event. I calmly asked Jeff to hold my long gun and I undid the clasp on my trusty six gun holster. For a moment the mighty swines eyes and mine met. He charged and I side stepped and and I deftly placed a 265 gr. LWN-GC in his beedy eye. The rest is.... well... bacon 8)

I hunted deer for a number of years with a Super Redhawk 44 mag (7.5"bbl) w/2x Leupold scope. Plenty quality factory ammo available & the Super Red's grip cushins hand for more enjoyment at the range. Like big 6X6 said...the ole 44 is hard to beat for deer. A very accurate & hard hittin caliber. The 44 would also anchor a hog with no problem whatsoever.

Back