help get me started

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakesdad

Reaction score
Just acquired a new to me .54 sidelock(TC renegade with green mountain barrel).Had asked cayuga for some guidance(thank you sir!)on how to get started with the roundball shooter,but still have lots of questions.Would like any info I can get on loads,loading,cleaning,etc.Id say the most confusing part is the loading;pre soaked patches or spritz before I load em,precut patches or cut em at the barrel when I load,things of that nature.Ive shot lots and lots of inline with sabot/bullet combos,but getting into the "traditional"is all new to me.Thanks!

lets take for granted you know the powder charge the rifle likes... so you dump that down the barrel. Now if you are a pillow tick cut at the muzzle person its easy..

spritz the strip of cloth..

traditionalrifles027.jpg

lay that damp strip of cloth over the muzzle of the barrel...

traditionalrifles028-1.jpg

now using the short end of the short starter, drive the ball under the crown of the muzzle.

traditionalrifles029.jpg

now pinch the cloth together with your fingers .. and using a sharp knife, scissors, even a pocket knife, cut the remaining cloth off.

traditionalrifles030.jpg

What is left is a perfectly centered roundball in its own patch. Do you use the long end of the short starter, and drive the ball into the barrel. Now with the ramrod, finish setting the ball all the way down onto the powder charge. You are now ready to cap the rifle and shoot.

If you use the dry patch method, just don't spritz, but follow the rest of the idea. All you need do is put a treated strip into your zip lock bag, carry a sharp knife, have that all in a pocket and a few roundball, and powder horn and your ready to hunt.

Most of my T/C Hawken rifles like 90 grains of 2f powder and a patched roundball. And as for cleaning the rifle, that's a piece of cake... take the barrel out and give it a water bath.

In the new to muzzleloading section of the forum, there are some topics at the top, that have details of what you might need, loading, cleaning, etc.. it might be worth a read there.

Thanks for the pics that helps a bunch.Just didnt know if one or the other patch methods worked better then the other.

They both work. It is a matter of preferences on how you want to do it. Just like lubes. Many different opinions of the best lube. I used to use just spit. Worked fine. You just have to try all the different lubes and powders and decide what you think works best.

Latest posts

Back