HELP ME!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgiabuck

Reaction score
I just recently aquired a Traditions Panther 50. . and I really have no idea what Im doing when it comes to sidelocks. But Id like to start shooting it full time this season. What can i do to really turn this thing into a whitetail machine. Right now im keeping about 2" groups at 75 yds. with the gun as is. But im wondering about any simple modifacatons that i can make that will give me a little better accuracy. Any ideas?

2" groups at 75 yards is not all that bad. That rifle as it stands would be more then able to take whitetail out to 100 yards. On average my side locks with open sights shoot 4" and on some days I get lucky and they shoot much better, but I really do not expect better. When I clover leaf at 100 yards, I am thrilled to say the least. You have to remember, you're shooting a 1/2 inch projectile. If you just touch hole to hole, you're at 1". Big bullets make nice holes.

The way to shoot better groups is with better sights. A good peep sight might help close that group up even more. If legal, you might look in to a scope for the rifle if that is what interests you.

Another option is try different projectiles, change lubes, even change caps, and see if they can shoot a better group for you. I really would not be too disappointed if my rifle was shooting 2" at 70 yards.

Of course the last way to shoot better groups is to shoot more often. The more you learn about how the rifle shoots, the ignition time, the hold of the rifle, and your sight picture. All of these can be worked on to shoot better groups..

Good luck with your rifle.

I agree with Dave,,,practice, practice, practice. If you're getting those kind of groups at 75 yards,,it just might be that with a little shooting and getting the barrel broke in,,it will make a good 100 yard rifle as is. There are days that I can keep 'em all touching,,and other days that a bull at 50 yards would be safe. Keep doing what you're doing for several range trips. Sometimes it isn't the gun... :wink:

with my t/c renegade w/ open sights, i havent ever done much better than 2" at 50 yds for five shot groups, and that's from sandbags. the sights are just too crude to do any better. 2" at 75 yds. is definitely hunting accuracy, and probably the only way you'll do consistently better is to mount a peep sight or a scope. a scope helps my accuracy tremendously, even if its only 4x. ive been amazed at how well some people can shoot open sights and/or 1x scopes, though. but it aint easy :D

I agree thats a good start for 75 yards, like others posted try differnet bullets and load combo's.. Peep sights are always a good add on.

honestly, i have a really hard time even getting a good sight picture at 50yds. so im probably going to get a truglo front sight or a peep, because as is the sight aren't at all suited for the shots i often make, because where I hunt the majority of my shots are late evening so I think thats my first add on.
I would get it drilled but to me hunting with a sidelock is really all about the nostaglia, and a scope would kind of kill it for me, that might sound crazy, but thats just my opinion.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=414656

Perhaps a simple Marble front site would help. You can get them with the brass, or white bead and this would make a finer front site that should stick out more. I think your rifle has a 3/8 dove tail but I would not swear to it.

I am thinking of putting that on my T/C Renegade. While the rear site does not bother me so much, that rifle comes with a wide blade front site for hunting. They never took target shooting into consideration I think when they made those sites. While it will still shoot impressive groups, I think with a more visible front sight, it would do better.

This way you avoid the scope. Since you said;
where I hunt the majority of my shots are late evening
then a peep sight might not be the answer because you'd almost have to use the ghost ring if it gets too late in the afternoon. Fiber optics as you said are good but,
a sidelock is really all about the nostaglia
which would rule out the fiber optics...

Just a thought for you georgiabuck...

yea, i just double checked and it is a 3/8 dovetail. Ill most likely just end up putting a peep on it, that will probably do fine, Im planning on taking it hog hunting soon to see if i can do any damage. So ill let you know how it works out. Thanks guys

Back