Hornady XTP Max FPS

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donny123

Reaction score
I have been shooting these pre packaged Hornady XTP 240gn HP's, 44cal with the green sabot and also the bulk Hornady XTP 230gn HP's that I load for my 1911, 45cal with a black SST sabot.

With 55-60 grains by weight of 777 they are shooting 1675-1725 fps. It was mentioned they had data on their website for the max fps but I can't find it. I remember reading max fps was right around what these are shooting. Accuracy is good but I'm wondering if they are ok at this speed. They are making clean holes through the paper at 100 yards.

I'm really new to muzzleloaders but I reload all types of metallic cartridges. Maybe 100 shots down range and maybe looking to work up a hunting load in the future but for now just punching paper.

CVA Optima V2 50 Cal

The 230 .45 is good to 1500 fps according to Hornady.
However! That's in a .45 caliber firearm. In a sabot, the jacket is intact on impact. No defects from rifling and I am firmly convinced that this gives the bullet the ability to withstand higher velocities.
I once shot a doe at 15 yards with a .40 caliber 200 grain XTP doing 1800 fps form a T/C Super .45 Black Diamond XR.
That bullet was rated to 1200 fps, but it hit the ball of her shoulder, a rib and went through her chest like a blender. She hauled up her landing gear and dropped.
I shot a deer with a Winchester 230 grain .45 hollow point out of a .50 Black Diamond. Talk about a cave of a hollow point! Left a 3 inch exit wound on a 25 yard shot. Muzzle velocity was 1575 fps.
If you look at high speed film of bullet impacts on steel, you'll see the jackets fail following the rifling.
One man's opinion.

The 230 .45 is good to 1500 fps according to Hornady.
However! That's in a .45 caliber firearm. In a sabot, the jacket is intact on impact. No defects from rifling and I am firmly convinced that this gives the bullet the ability to withstand higher velocities.
I once shot a doe at 15 yards with a .40 caliber 200 grain XTP doing 1800 fps form a T/C Super .45 Black Diamond XR.
That bullet was rated to 1200 fps, but it hit the ball of her shoulder, a rib and went through her chest like a blender. She hauled up her landing gear and dropped.
I shot a deer with a Winchester 230 grain .45 hollow point out of a .50 Black Diamond. Talk about a cave of a hollow point! Left a 3 inch exit wound on a 25 yard shot. Muzzle velocity was 1575 fps.
If you look at high speed film of bullet impacts on steel, you'll see the jackets fail following the rifling.
One man's opinion.
Thanks for that.

I think I'll just back it down to 55 and call it a day, with that I shot a 2" group at 100 with a cheap scope and no experience. I can live with that.

TY

I have no data for reference, just experience. Using smokeless powder i have killed 4 deer with 200 gr XTP. All under 40 yards, all had internal mush! Load 4759 31 gr wool wad dry, HB45/40. Other exp. 3 under 75 yards same load combo, good double lung hits short recovery, none over 50 yard recoveries

Wow. As a reloader of smokeless metallic cartridges I would think 85gr would be pushing these way to fast based on my chrono results at 60 grains but black powder substitutes like 777 seem to not be so critical to muzzle velocity. By that I mean that a 20-30 grain increase in charge with smokeless powder could be a catastrophe whereas with 777 it's proportionally not as much change.

Considering I can load 50-150 grains, that swing is unthinkable with smokeless. I am wondering how fast those are moving though. Obviously they are holding together well so I'm not worried about my loads at all now.

Learning more every day.

TY

On my loads i doubt seriously they are over 1750 fps. Maybe around 1600-1750 fps area.
Now you're talking about smokeless in a muzzleloader. The muzzleloader alone is a new concept for me so I would have no clue. The crono is the best investment for any loader/reloader. Essentially you are making a cartridge with every load in a muzzleloader but it seems it has a much wider variance/safety parameter.

Is the 4759 discontinued? That's what I'm reading.

With 55-60 grains by weight of 777 they are shooting 1675-1725 fps. It was mentioned they had data on their website for the max fps but I can't find it. I remember reading max fps was right around what these are shooting. Accuracy is good but I'm wondering if they are ok at this speed. They are making clean holes through the paper at 100 yards.

No problem at all holding together, however the bullets you've commented on at these speeds may not retain enough energy to be a good bullet on deer sized game at even 100 yards, especially that 230 grain. For me, whether or not a bullet is very accurate and groups 5 in a quarter at 100 yards is only trumped by how much energy retention there is at 100 yards. Most people feel 1000 ft/pds of energy the minimum for deer sized critters.

No problem at all holding together, however the bullets you've commented on at these speeds may not retain enough energy to be a good bullet on deer sized game at even 100 yards, especially that 230 grain. For me, whether or not a bullet is very accurate and groups 5 in a quarter at 100 yards is only trumped by how much energy retention there is at 100 yards. Most people feel 1000 ft/pds of energy the minimum for deer sized critters.
At 1700fps mv he should be right around 1k foot pounds if energy at 100 yards..not ideal but it will work..just a little less than common 44 magnum loads at that range.

Now you're talking about smokeless in a muzzleloader. The muzzleloader alone is a new concept for me so I would have no clue. The crono is the best investment for any loader/reloader. Essentially you are making a cartridge with every load in a muzzleloader but it seems it has a much wider variance/safety parameter.

Is the 4759 discontinued? That's what I'm reading.
Yes it is, have to look around. Now the VV110 is plenty around & its great powder

I much appreciate all the advise.

At this point I'm just punching paper and trying to learn the system. I imagine if I do plan to hunt it would be a different mentality. For me right now it's more of an exercise in relaxation. I've enjoyed slowing things down vs normal range activities.

I would imagine I would use a non sabot, heavier bullet and increase the mass and energy quite a bit to hunt. What would be a popular load for Deer in a modern inline 50 cal? Or pigs, I may have an opportunity to do that in Texas next year.

Heck i use Harvester black sabot with Fury .451 250 gr. Packs a thump. Maybe people don't think about a bullet of .451 dia. moving on out at 2000-2700 fps. A 30-06 does not have a thing on an inline ML using smokeless powder

Here are the results of a 50 yard heart shot pushed by 85 weighed gr of 777. CVA Optima V2
View attachment 40025
Is that the 45/240 XTP MAG? If so, that’s a completely different animal than the standard 240 XTP. Can be pushed a lot harder and needs to be in order to expand properly at longer ranges

Greg

Is that the 45/240 XTP MAG? If so, that’s a completely different animal than the standard 240 XTP. Can be pushed a lot harder and needs to be in order to expand properly at longer ranges

Greg
Morning Greg, here is the bullet that I have used for 15 years or so with awesome knock down results. Before I started using 777 I always used Goex ff at 100 grains. As I’ve aged 85gr is much easier on me and rarely do I have the need to shoot past 50 yards except on paper. XTP 44 cal with green 1 piece or the 3 piece pink break-o-way sabot.

Attachments

• IMG_9581.jpeg
    IMG_9581.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
we use either 200, 240, or 300gr 44-cal XTPs. Never buy the XTP Mags. Powders are generally 2-3 pellets.of Pyrodex, 777 or White Hots. Longest harvest was 150 yards using the 240gr 44-cal with three Pyro pellets. No bullet ever recovered from that Spike.

We favor the 44-cal bullets, for they are easier to load using Harvester Crush Rib sabots.
We are really proud of a doe harvest using the cheapest 295gr lead Hollow Point Powerbelt. I forgot to bring my Aerotip Platinum Powerbelts that trip and I had used that cheap Powerbelt for sighting-in the prior evening.. The powder used was 85gr Goex FFF at close to 100 yards and my Knight Vision.

Currently sticking to 240gr XTP and White Hot pellets in my T/C Omega. Been sitting in the gun safe since 2022.

Last edited:
Morning Greg, here is the bullet that I have used for 15 years or so with awesome knock down results. Before I started using 777 I always used Goex ff at 100 grains. As I’ve aged 85gr is much easier on me and rarely do I have the need to shoot past 50 yards except on paper. XTP 44 cal with green 1 piece or the 3 piece pink break-o-way sabot.
Looking closer at your pic I now see the extra skies cut into the hollow point for rapid expansion. The mag’s only have four. I shot XTP’s for years & much preferred the 44 over the 45 unless shooting the MAG series

Greg

I shoot the 250g XTP non mags out of my ML2 over 42gr of 4759. Its velocity is just over 2200 fps. It has taken many deer from 30-100 yards and I never recovered a bullet. The exit holes were respectable.

Latest posts

Back