How do you clean a breech plug fast?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hod

Reaction score
Well I finally got a muzzleloader. It is a Kodiak Pro Rifle SS .45 Cal
I shot it for the first time today. Used only 70 gr. of Pyrodex RS with 225 Powerbelt with a Winchester triple seven 209 primer. I fired it thress times with out cleaning.

I then took it back to the house and with in a hour started to clean it. The barrel went great using CVA Slick Load Barrle Blaster Solvent, but the Breech Plug is a nother story. Also using the same CVA cleaner I can't get it even close to clean. Any Ideas would be great.

Also my CVA book says to lighty coat the gun with a non-petrolem base gun oil. What type of oil is that? I thougth that all oil is petrolem base.

Thanks for the help.

Hod

when i glean my gun at the end of the day, the very first thing i do is put the breech plug in a small container ful of cleaner, shake it a bunch of times then let it sit in there, then clean the rest of the gun and come back to it. it wipes clean easily after its been soaking for a while.

Thanks for the CLP tip. Can I also use it to lighty oil the inside of the barrel to prevent rust when clean?

I tryed to use the straw that comes with the CLP to clean the Breech plug inside with some cleaning jags. It did not work to well. Then I got a idea to use a q-tip. I took off all most 98% of the cotton off and it just fits into the hole for the primer. But for my size breech plug for a Kodiak it works like a charm.

Why can they give tips like that in there owners book. They have 10 pages in there for there lawyer's but only 2 pages for the gun.

Thanks again

Hod

CLP would get a bit expensive for cleaning plugs (at least the soaking part). Most any decent cleaning solution works pretty good as a soak. I use a product called 624 or a mix of water and Ballistol, hot soapy water in a small container shaken vigorously would surely do a good job as well. I follow that with a wipe down, a bit of pipe cleaner action, and hit it with compressed air to remove all moisture. I never lube anything but the threads on my breechplugs.

CLP works great as a bore protectorant. Just be sure to patch it out with alcohol and dry patches before loading.

ps: if you happen to have an extra ultrasonic jewelry cleaner laying around, "borrow" it for the plugs and small pieces. :D

Hod.. after you remove the breech plug from the breech end of the rifle using the breech plug wrench that came with the rifle, take the breech plug to the kitchen sink. Make up some soap and water like you were going to do the dishes. Put that plug in there and with an old tooth brush scrub the threads on the outside of the plug. Also take some paper towel and scrub out the inside of the plug. It should come clean real fast.

Then rinse it in very hot water and shake it good. It will be almost dry. Now take some Q-tips and dip them in solvent and poke them into the in and around any open in that plug you can find. Keep doing that until they come out clean. The plug is almost ready.

Pour some isopropyl alcohol through the fire chamber. I then take it to the air compresser and blow air through it. With the combination of the air and the alcohol it will be spotless clean and dry. No air compresser? Then use your mouth and blow hard through it until you hear the air nice and forceful going through.

Make sure the threads inside the rifle are nice and clean. They sell breech brushes to do this. Also when I clean the barrel I push from the breech to the muzzle. That way I never push any dirt or fowling past the trigger.

When you're sure the barrel and threads are nice and clean. Re-coat the threads of the breech plug with some anit seize/breech plug grease and put it back in the rifle finger tight. Now you know it is clean, and the barrel is clean as well.

Also any quality gun oil will work in the bore to protect it. Before you load and shoot it the next time. Take a patch. Put some isopropyl alcohol in it. Swab the bore clean of all the oil that might be in there. Then a couple dry patches. Now pop two 209 primers through the breech plug, to blow the fire channel clean and to carbon it up. You are now set to load.

To soak a plug, I would purchase the T-17 Breech Plug cleaner @ wally world. It is a container made to soak your plug in.

The T-17 pre-soaked patches work great as well!

You want a cheap soaker.. go to wal mart and get those little jewelry cleaner jars that have the cleaner and the little dip basket. I found them on sale once for $1.00 and bought three of them. Once the cleaner if filthy, dump that and just put soap and water in there. Same thing basically.

Soak plug in rubbing alcohol while you clean barrel with alcohol also using nylon brush only. Alcohol evaporates, get it? Swab bore with patch and a little film of break free. And please do yourself a favor if your new with smoke pipes. Don't shoot sabots.

Latest posts

Back