How does the .45 compare to the .50 at 200 yards?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
donparadowski said:
I forgot to mention, I am looking for a bullet capable of dropping a white tail at 300 yards using 150 gr of Pyrodex in the form of three pellets, in a fifty caliper inline weapon and have a Ballistic coefficient better than 265.

I'd suggest not to worry so much about using a bullet with such a high BC, but rather an accurate heavier bullet with a moderate BC which will maintain enough energy. Although the BC does matter, accuracy and energy matter more at distance and certainly at 300yds.
I can assure you that shooting at a whitetail or targets at 300yds isn't extremely easy. Most shooters begin to understand once they attempt shooting targets at 300. The wind may not affect a bullet so much at 200, but at 300 it will. In some cases a 10mph cross wind could move a bullet 20".
I would suggest that if you plan on taking hunting shots to 300yds, considerable practice is a requirement. A good start would be 300+ rounds.

donparadowski said:
I forgot to mention, I am looking for a bullet capable of dropping a white tail at 300 yards using 150 gr of Pyrodex in the form of three pellets, in a fifty caliper inline weapon and have a Ballistic coefficient better than 265.

So let me see if i got this right. You want to shoot a high BC bullet with 3 pellets in a T/C Strike and achieve 300 yard effective shot?

Sounds like a tall order for 3 pellets and the high BC bullets ive seen. Even with BH209 that is a stretch considering how that type of bullet is constructed.

It will cost you around $2 a pop just for the bullet to find out. According to a quick look at the required twist, it aint gunna happen with these bullets and the velocity of a 3 Pyro Pellet load or even 120gr of BH209.
cache_895194815.JPG

donparadowski said:
Does anyone know where we can go to get Ballistic coefficient data on the popular bullets without having to call the manufacturer of the bullet each time we want to check out a bullet? Ideally some place where we can compare them side by side.

Unfortunately, their appears to be a lot of BS in BC. Agree with Encore50A post, don't worry.
There was a recent discussion about BC.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=29794&hilit=dead+center+ballistic&start=25

ENCORE50A said:
donparadowski said:

I'd suggest not to worry so much about using a bullet with such a high BC, but rather an accurate heavier bullet with a moderate BC which will maintain enough energy. Although the BC does matter, accuracy and energy matter more at distance and certainly at 300yds.
I can assure you that shooting at a whitetail or targets at 300yds isn't extremely easy. Most shooters begin to understand once they attempt shooting targets at 300. The wind may not affect a bullet so much at 200, but at 300 it will. In some cases a 10mph cross wind could move a bullet 20".
I would suggest that if you plan on taking hunting shots to 300yds, considerable practice is a requirement. A good start would be 300+ rounds.

I was shooting a 295 gr. bullet and doing wonderfully at 100 yards with tight consistent patterns. The minute I moved my target out to 200 yards (I was shooting at the Detroit Sportsmen’s Congress’ range where I am a member), I began cutting grooves in the sod. The target center was about forty-two inches above grade and the bullets were hitting the ground in a tight pattern about twenty feet in front of the target stand.

I am thinking of shooting a 45 cal. bullet using a sabot in my 50 cal. weapon this fall. That is what prompted my first comment. Unfortunately, I did not specify the 45 thing at that time and that may have mislead your comments and for that I apologize. I am shooting a TC Strike with a 1:28 twist rifling.

GM54-120 said:
donparadowski said:

So let me see if i got this right. You want to shoot a high BC bullet with 3 pellets in a T/C Strike and achieve 300 yard effective shot?

Sounds like a tall order for 3 pellets and the high BC bullets ive seen. Even with BH209 that is a stretch considering how that type of bullet is constructed.

It will cost you around $2 a pop just for the bullet to find out. According to a quick look at the required twist, it aint gunna happen with these bullets and the velocity of a 3 Pyro Pellet load or even 120gr of BH209.
cache_895194815.JPG

Wow ! What did they do to those bullets? Run them through a pencil sharpener?

ENCORE50A said:
donparadowski said:

I agree with you on the 300+ rounds. Last year I went through a lot of bullets and powder. I plan on doing it again this year starting in May when the range opens for the 2017 year.

Those are his standard Accumax bullets which are slightly similar to a Parker Match Hunter

275gr Parker Match Hunter might shoot in a 1-28 with BH209 but the jacket is thicker. Expansion would be pretty poor at longer ranges.
MatchHunter_large.jpg

The Aeromax is even more aggressive but at over 1.4" long there isnt even the slightest chance you could get them to shoot. These are made for fast twist sabotless 45s at 2300fps or more.
cache_898595964.JPG

donparadowski said:
................I was shooting a 295 gr. bullet and doing wonderfully at 100 yards with tight consistent patterns. The minute I moved my target out to 200 yards (I was shooting at the Detroit Sportsmen’s Congress’ range where I am a member), I began cutting grooves in the sod. The target center was about forty-two inches above grade and the bullets were hitting the ground in a tight pattern about twenty feet in front of the target stand. ........

When shooting longer ranges with your rifle, you can use the elevation dial, to compensate for bullet drop. This works good, and works good with common low BC bullets. Heck, i do it all the time, and have great fun shooting at gongs, and such, a way out. No fancy bullets required.

donparadowski said:
I was shooting a 295 gr. bullet and doing wonderfully at 100 yards with tight consistent patterns. The minute I moved my target out to 200 yards (I was shooting at the Detroit Sportsmen’s Congress’ range where I am a member), I began cutting grooves in the sod. The target center was about forty-two inches above grade and the bullets were hitting the ground in a tight pattern about twenty feet in front of the target stand.

I am thinking of shooting a 45 cal. bullet using a sabot in my 50 cal. weapon this fall. That is what prompted my first comment. Unfortunately, I did not specify the 45 thing at that time and that may have mislead your comments and for that I apologize. I am shooting a TC Strike with a 1:28 twist rifling.

I am ..... assuming..... that when you're talking about a 295gr bullet, its quite possibly a powerbelt bullet?

If that is the bullet you're shooting, I will suggest that there are MANY BETTER bullets that will shoot much better for you. In no particular order are Hornady XTP, Hornady SST, Shockwave, Harvester PT Gold and premium bullets such as Barnes, Parker Ballistic Extremes (BE). These are just some of the better bullets.

I would also suggest that you might want to consider changing propellants. Some like and use pyrodex, some do not. I personally don't care for it. For your type rifle, I'd much rather be shooting BH209 http://www.blackhorn209.com/ , or Triple Seven. ALWAYS keep any propellant sealed and away from moisture when storing. For that reason, its always best to use fresh (new) propellant. That is not to say that propellant that is a year+ old won't shoot correctly and accurately. But proper storage of propellants should be utilized.

Just an FYI..... bullets group, shotguns pattern :wink:
A target center 42" above the ground level and you were hitting the ground 20' in front of the berm, while shooting 3 pyrodex pellets (150grs)? If your rifle was zeroed for 100yds, there's something very wrong. I would suggest it may be related in combination with the pyrodex and 295gr bullets.

You might want to start a new thread........

With your desires you will need to go with much faster twist gun than is readily available at your big box store.

Your production gun options are basically knight 45 in 1-20 twist or 1-18 twist and use blackpowder and big lead. Definitely accurate and lethal at beyond 300 yds.

If want high b.c. and flatter shooting use blackhorn powder and bullets like parker or pittman or kinetic performance.

Last best option build a Remington 700 custom in 45 cal and build options are wide open and 400-500 becomes realistic.

State regs will be key in this post.

Also 300 yds is a long way with any weapon hunting.
Wind is king.

ENCORE50A said:
donparadowski said:

I am ..... assuming..... that when you're talking about a 295gr bullet, its quite possibly a powerbelt bullet?

If that is the bullet you're shooting, I will suggest that there are MANY BETTER bullets that will shoot much better for you. In no particular order are Hornady XTP, Hornady SST, Shockwave, Harvester PT Gold and premium bullets such as Barnes, Parker Ballistic Extremes (BE). These are just some of the better bullets.

I would also suggest that you might want to consider changing propellants. Some like and use pyrodex, some do not. I personally don't care for it. For your type rifle, I'd much rather be shooting BH209 http://www.blackhorn209.com/ , or Triple Seven. ALWAYS keep any propellant sealed and away from moisture when storing. For that reason, its always best to use fresh (new) propellant. That is not to say that propellant that is a year+ old won't shoot correctly and accurately. But proper storage of propellants should be utilized.

Just an FYI..... bullets group, shotguns pattern :wink:
A target center 42" above the ground level and you were hitting the ground 20' in front of the berm, while shooting 3 pyrodex pellets (150grs)? If your rifle was zeroed for 100yds, there's something very wrong. I would suggest it may be related in combination with the pyrodex and 295gr bullets.

You might want to start a new thread........

Yes, it was a powerbelt bullet.

bestill said:
With your desires you will need to go with much faster twist gun than is readily available at your big box store.

Your production gun options are basically knight 45 in 1-20 twist or 1-18 twist and use blackpowder and big lead. Definitely accurate and lethal at beyond 300 yds.

If want high b.c. and flatter shooting use blackhorn powder and bullets like parker or pittman or kinetic performance.

Last best option build a Remington 700 custom in 45 cal and build options are wide open and 400-500 becomes realistic.

Wind is king.

RE: Remington 700...I'm a leftie.

donparadowski said:
bestill said:

Wind is king.

RE: Remington 700...I'm a leftie.

Left hand stocks are available and muzzleloader isnt going to be speed loaded.
But if ambidextrous design is a issue will definitely change 300 yd options greatly

donparadowski said:

I will suggest that that is one of your problems. There are so many other better bullets to shoot, its just not worth getting into a debate over that specific bullet, other than they make good fishing sinkers.

There's nothing wrong with your TC Strike and nothing wrong with a .50cal with a 1:28 twist. I would however limit my hunting range. Energy wise, at 300yds you'll be close to minimum energy requirements (suggested by some) for whitetail (+/- 1000fpe). Unless you're hunting over agricultural fields in MI, you most likely will never have a 300yd shot. Exception: any other state.

It will do what you're asking, but can you? Unless you want to buy a new rifle, you can certainly make the one you have shoot to your ability. As already stated, 300yds can be tough, especially with any wind.
If it were me, I'd be certain of my equipment, then change bullets. For myself, I'd be shooting BH209, but if you want to shoot pellets, switch to T7. I'd stuff a Barnes 290gr T-EZ down the barrel, then practice. You should also learn to dial your scope from 100 to 200yds. Just a suggestion, which may only be close, if you were to use 3-T7 50/50 pellets and a 290/300gr bullet, dialing your turret from "0" or your current 100yd zero setting, up 5moa should get you on paper at 200. Lots of practice at 200 and only then shoot 300 (approx. 11moa using same charge/load)

On the other hand, if you wanted to spend the money for a .45cal., then there's a couple guys on this site that can help you out.

ENCORE50A said:
donparadowski said:

I will suggest that that is one of your problems. There are so many other better bullets to shoot, its just not worth getting into a debate over that specific bullet, other than they make good fishing sinkers.

There's nothing wrong with your TC Strike and nothing wrong with a .50cal with a 1:28 twist. I would however limit my hunting range. Energy wise, at 300yds you'll be close to minimum energy requirements (suggested by some) for whitetail (+/- 1000fpe). Unless you're hunting over agricultural fields in MI, you most likely will never have a 300yd shot. Exception: any other state.

It will do what you're asking, but can you? Unless you want to buy a new rifle, you can certainly make the one you have shoot to your ability. As already stated, 300yds can be tough, especially with any wind.
If it were me, I'd be certain of my equipment, then change bullets. For myself, I'd be shooting BH209, but if you want to shoot pellets, switch to T7. I'd stuff a Barnes 290gr T-EZ down the barrel, then practice. You should also learn to dial your scope from 100 to 200yds. Just a suggestion, which may only be close, if you were to use 3-T7 50/50 pellets and a 290/300gr bullet, dialing your turret from "0" or your current 100yd zero setting, up 5moa should get you on paper at 200. Lots of practice at 200 and only then shoot 300 (approx. 11moa using same charge/load)

On the other hand, if you wanted to spend the money for a .45cal., then there's a couple guys on this site that can help you out.

My "problem" is that where I am hunting I have clear shooting from 40 to 260 yards. Deer almost never show up at the 40 range but they like coming into view to feed from 125 to 260 yards. Sometimes I just cannot coax a buck to cross the field for me so I am forced to mentally waive good by to him. If I were using my 7.62, I'd drop him where he is standing but that is not the case. I'm either going to have to learn to speak deer better or figure out how to shoot farther.

donparadowski said:
ENCORE50A said:
donparadowski said:

My "problem" is that where I am hunting I have clear shooting from 40 to 260 yards. Deer almost never show up at the 40 range but they like coming into view to feed from 125 to 260 yards. Sometimes I just cannot coax a buck to cross the field for me so I am forced to mentally waive good by to him. If I were using my 7.62, I'd drop him where he is standing but that is not the case. I'm either going to have to learn to speak deer better or figure out how to shoot farther.

260yds is within the capability of your existing rifle. However IMO the charge and bullet must change for dependability. I've taken many whitetails at 200 and out to 250+, with Encore platform rifles. These new modern inline rifles, regardless of a .45 or .50, are much more accurate and at range than most will give them credit for, or will ever shoot them. Yes, there is a distance limit for hunting, which more or less has everything to do with bullet energy. Of course shooter ability, along with quality optics.
Changing from your current choice of load and bullet would be a very good start. I'd suggest that if you want to continue shooting using pellets, I'd change to T7. I'd also stuff a Barnes 290gr T-EZ down the barrel on top. If you were to shoot loose propellant, then BH209 would be my "go to" propellant at 110grs volume, still pushing a 290gr T-EZ bullet. Learn to dial your scope setting for range. Start out learning to shoot 200yds. Shoot 200 until you gain full confidence with that distance. Only then would I suggest you try shooting out to 300, which IMO would be the maximum. If your rifle will shoot 3-T7 50/50 pellets and a 290gr Barnes accurate at 100, the charge/load should have no problem at 260. Same if shooting BH209.

ENCORE50A said:
donparadowski said:
ENCORE50A said:

260yds is within the capability of your existing rifle. However IMO the charge and bullet must change for dependability. I've taken many whitetails at 200 and out to 250+, with Encore platform rifles. These new modern inline rifles, regardless of a .45 or .50, are much more accurate and at range than most will give them credit for, or will ever shoot them. Yes, there is a distance limit for hunting, which more or less has everything to do with bullet energy. Of course shooter ability, along with quality optics.
Changing from your current choice of load and bullet would be a very good start. I'd suggest that if you want to continue shooting using pellets, I'd change to T7. I'd also stuff a Barnes 290gr T-EZ down the barrel on top. If you were to shoot loose propellant, then BH209 would be my "go to" propellant at 110grs volume, still pushing a 290gr T-EZ bullet. Learn to dial your scope setting for range. Start out learning to shoot 200yds. Shoot 200 until you gain full confidence with that distance. Only then would I suggest you try shooting out to 300, which IMO would be the maximum. If your rifle will shoot 3-T7 50/50 pellets and a 290gr Barnes accurate at 100, the charge/load should have no problem at 260. Same if shooting BH209.

As I see it, it is simply getting the right powder/bullet combination to be able to reach out that far. I am still dialing in my weapon. Right now any deer that walks within 125 yards of me is dinner. Simply put, I want to reach out further and touch them. I have no problem shooting a couple hundred more rounds this year getting it the way I want. Thanks for the insights.

Before I got old and my eyes went not so good I killed plenty of whitetails at the 125 and under with blackpowder, #11caps and PRB. When I went to 50 cal inline slamfire and a scope I added 100 yards easy, and that was using "belted" bullets. Now if you go on over to Precision Rifle they have a good selection of good smoker bullets. TC and Hornady and many of the other mfg have OK bullet selections. I much prefer the 300 FP speer in .458 cal in a black crush rib sabot. Perhaps go to the 325 grain FTX in .458 for better down range. I find that the .458 bullets shoot more accurately in my 50 cal guns. My experience, yours may be different. W

Latest posts

Back