Hunting Conditions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With only a few days left in the Oklahoma muzzleloading season, the weather has been awful the last couple days here.
Rain one day and strong winds yesterday and today.
Gusts up to 50 mph, sustained winds at 30 plus.
Saturday and Sunday look to be good though, cooler temperatures and not much wind.
Hopefully, I'll have 2 good days left to finish out the season.

With only a few days left in the Oklahoma muzzleloading season, the weather has been awful the last couple days here.
Rain one day and strong winds yesterday and today.
Gusts up to 50 mph, sustained winds at 30 plus.
Saturday and Sunday look to be good though, cooler temperatures and not much wind.
Hopefully, I'll have 2 good days left to finish out the season.
I agree conditions last week were horrible, but I did still see a few deer moving. With all the wind, I threw in the towel on Thursday and came back to TX. I’m planning to come back up on Wednesday to hunt the new moon and hopefully get my youngest son on a good buck. The weather is supposed to be much better this coming week.

I agree conditions last week were horrible, but I did still see a few deer moving. With all the wind, I threw in the towel on Thursday and came back to TX. I’m planning to come back up on Wednesday to hunt the new moon and hopefully get my youngest son on a good buck. The weather is supposed to be much better this coming week.
Yesterday and this morning were perfect. 39 degrees at daylight. No wind. I saw 3 deer yesterday morning. A lone doe that I passed on and later on a moma with a little one.
Didn't see anything this morning, except squirrels.
Back to the crossbow next week.
Starting to see more good buck sign around here.

Just spent a few days in Northern Vermont for early muzzleloader does only season. Thursday and Friday were beautiful; Saturday and Sunday were complete wash-outs. Rain, fog, wind; a Northeaster off the coast.

ADK Bigfoot

Starting to see more good buck sign around here.

It was a beautiful day here yesterday but not hunting. I took some time to sit on the steps overlooking the parkland and stream behind the house and noticed a buck had attacked a Japanese Maple in the park. Wore a pretty decent patch right down to live wood about three feet up on the truck, the trunk about 6" diameter. I opened the garage door up at 5:30 last Friday to go fish and had a nice doe with two of last years fawns right there in the driveway chowing on a cherry tomato that we left up since it was still full of tomatoes. They really didn't want to leave the garden but then they really didn't want me any closer either so they hopped the fence and stood out in the park giving me grief.

We took about a 60 mile ride yesterday and saw 13 car kills. One of those was a doe. The rest bucks. Damn cars, there won't be a buck left to shoot at. lol With our local deer densities I don't think I have to worry. In this area I think we're approaching 150/sq. mile.

I also spent the last 4 days with a muzzleloader in South Western Vermont. Very scary lack of deer sign in normally areas of high deer numbers. It’s possible a lack of acorns has deer relocating to other areas, or some have suggested that dreaded deer disease EHD is to blame? I have seen no dead deer, but some local towns are reporting large numbers of dead deer! I’m skeptical till I seem more info from State F&G

Saturday's rain drove me off stand and in to a couple of gun shops. A couple of guys on the NH side of the Connecticut River were discussing a dead deer they found with no visible trauma. They called the fish cops to report it and left it alone. Suspected EHD, but the deer did not appear sickly. Sure hope this scourge is not upon us.

ADK Bigfoot

N.E. Missouri's rut is on. Auto Body shops are cashing in. Counted 21 deer in 7-mile drive to town. Mostly does & fawns, small bucks. Firearms season starts in 6 days. "Primitive weapons" isn't until December, now includes modern pistols (including braced AR's)" My county has about 7,000 people, last year checked in over 3,000 deer.

All seasons combined - Archery, Youth, Firearms, Doe season, and Primitive weapons you can deer hunt from September 15 into January. Some schools close for deer season. Excellent crops mean healthy deer herd. Mine prefer corn to a-corns.

Back