I am now a Believer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This goes out to all those who have advocated heating your steel molds with a blow torch. I believe! I have always used aluminum molds. They heat quickly. Usually they are up to temp after only 4-6 pours. Not so much with steel.

I bought this Lyman Plains mold about 2 years ago. I didn’t get it out because I had bullets to shoot. This season my supply was running low, so I decided to give it a try. After two failed molding sessions, I decided to give the torch a try. It still takes a while to get up to temp, but once you are there, you are good to go.

I took some to the range yesterday and they are money at 50 yards. Here in the Indiana woods, that is usually my maximum range. I have no doubt they will be accurate out to longer ranges. I didn’t get a chance to test it, because I emptied my powder flask. I had to call it a day.

I Believe!!

IMG_0249.JPGIMG_0247.JPG

This goes out to all those who have advocated heating your steel molds with a blow torch. I believe! I have always used aluminum molds. They heat quickly. Usually they are up to temp after only 4-6 pours. Not so much with steel.

I bought this Lyman Plains mold about 2 years ago. I didn’t get it out because I had bullets to shoot. This season my supply was running low, so I decided to give it a try. After two failed molding sessions, I decided to give the torch a try. It still takes a while to get up to temp, but once you are there, you are good to go.

I took some to the range yesterday and they are money at 50 yards. Here in the Indiana woods, that is usually my maximum range. I have no doubt they will be accurate out to longer ranges. I didn’t get a chance to test it, because I emptied my powder flask. I had to call it a day.

I Believe!!

View attachment 38767View attachment 38768
What diameter do they drop from the mold?

What setting on the hot plate and how long when you heat the mold?
Set on #4 or 5 it waits until I get there ,along with my ladle and any other molds I'm casting that day . Remember slow and certain beats a overzealous torch any day and my molds aren't distorted by overheating one spot or 1/2 the mold ! In all the yrs casting (A LOT) never used a torch (even Lewis) commented on my casting results ,especially large conicals (think compression casting) /Ed

Nice job. Very good looking bullets. My dad was born and raised in the Hoosier state. Ever heard of Windfall? That's where he was born.
rangerrod,

Years ago, I used to do service calls Kokomo, IN. Sometimes I would change my route just to break up the boredom of the drive. These alternate routes took me through lots of small towns, including Windfall.

Back