.... I have a flintlock and need help ..........

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawgslayer1

Reaction score
:D 
I was at the range today and my friend Mike gave me a flint lock. It's .54 cal and it's never been fired. He explained he got it for a gift and didn't like it because it was a flinter. Like I said it's 54 cal. It's brand new and never been fired. The stock is dark brown wood and the barrel is and octagon with adjustable sights. On the barrel it says black powder only, Cabela's and made in Italy. So...........
I need to know what accessories I need now to shoot this rifle. I asked a few guru's at the range and they looked it over and removed the hammer and gave me the all clear. Another flinter cleaned the barrel and loaded it up and told me to fire it. He loaded it once but showed me what to do the 2 other times. They agreed that the rifle costs around $500 to 550.00.
I noticed round balls and greased patches. What size balls and patches???? He also had a little thing that let out some fine powder into the hole ignition are. What was that thing called and what was the name of that fine powder? Can I use blackhorn in the rifle even though it says black powder. If not do I have to use goex?

I need all the help I can get guys :!: I'll say thanks now, SO THANKS TO ALL WHO REPLY :!: :!: :!: :!: 

Thanks,
Ray

nice! The investarms guns really like the thicker .018" patch and .530" round ball, 70-90gr 2f or even 3f will be a great starting point.

Pan primer is a must have.

No BH209, good old goex or other brand of real black powder only.

Don't shy away from Goex 2F.  I use it in my .58 flinter and it works great.  I use 4F for the PAN powder.  If you have a set of torch tip cleaners, one of the tips is perfect for cleaning out the touch hole.  It's quite bit larger than the one used for the inline breech plug.  You'll need a handful of flints.  I use English gun flints from Track of the Wolf.

I think they're fun to shoot!!

Enjoy!

Flinters is fun to shoot !

You get finer powder than 4F to prime the pan , it's called ignition powder over here.

.530 balls and .018" patches will do the job just fine but I get good results using .535 balls and .015 patches as well.

You will have to experiment to see what the gun likes in regards to pan priming , my one gun likes the powder touching the hole while the others like the prime away from the hole.

Thanks gents :!:  I knew I could count on you guys :!: :!: 

Ray.........;)

You can use Goex 3F for everything Ray. As the main load it will ignite better than 2F. Used in the pan it will ignite just as good as 4F, and won't leak out of the pan as easily. It makes it simple to use the same powder for everything.

You'll have to experiment to see how much powder your gun likes in the pan for best ignition. Usually enough to cover the pan, but not quite up to the touch hole.

Before you go shoot it. get your mind set that the ignition won't be as fast as your inline. They be a slight delay between the pan igniting, and the main charge going off. You have to hold on the target longer, and wait for that to happen. That's why shooting flintlocks is more of a challenge. You also need to hold steady when the flash from the pan goes off right next to your eye. Make sure you always use eye protection.

When shooting. Makes sure you always keep the touch hole clean. You need a pick for that. Also keep the pan and frizzen clean, and free from any oil. Also the flints need to be kept sharp to give a good spark.

Flintlocks have a charm all their own, but they need a lot of attention to shoot reliably all the time. I wish I had kept my last one. They're a lot of fun if you can be patient with them.

Pete I've only sold two guns ever , and I still regret doing that .

The wife says when I buy a gun or car I get married to it and I think she's right !

I'm a poor SOB. I usually sell guns to pay for unexpected bills. I'm usually pissed that I have to do it.

THANKS Pete for the info. This rifle is a new experience for me to play around with. Just from those 3 shots yesterday it looks like a lot of fun.

Ray..........;)

Latest posts

Back