I hope it's nothing serious

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happens to a lot of people. I hope to be going until I die--very much looking forward to doing more when I retire, though I might diversify into more types of hunting and some fall fishing then too. I love dogs and bird hunting with dogs is another thing I can't see quitting for a long time unless forced to.

I declined to pull the trigger on three deer this year for various reasons but am very much enjoying all my time afield. I guit using hang on and tree steps in favor of ladder stands a few years back, and am getting back to finding good spots to sit on the ground. I often quit early as the eyes just aren't what they used to be and don't seem to be able to get that fixed with glasses. Doc says I am good with the chart but my fine detail--seeing the deer back in the brush at low light--is going--scopes help but I am pretty much done well before I can legally shoot on most days. That affects still hunting too, which I love to do but seem to bump a lot of deer I should have seen first. LOVE hunting in the snow though, that improves my ability to see greatly!

I'm 78 be 79 March at least now I see it's not just me I understand everyone lack of enthusiasm not and tired back injuries always reminded me and definitely not a morning person just don't give up and stop go to the if I feel like it I will if not it's OK. Good luck to everyone make the best out of what you can and feel like

My desire to hunt drops dramatically when the alarm goes offf at 345am

But most of a cup of coffee seems to cure it

Also noticed drop offs today when peddling a bike over a mile and a half of sugar sand and mud, was restored when we found good wallows and pig tracks though

Ride back wasnt so bad since my buddy let me try his ebike ;)

I've watched it happen to my father in law who has been my hunting partner for the last 17 years. He is definitely not as enthusiastic as he used to be. Not much excitement left in it for him. A couple years ago he started talking about not hunting anymore and just slaughtering cattle instead.

Question.
Has you desire to hunt ever lessened
I find as I am getting older my desire to hunt is not what it was just a couple years ago.
Just wondering if happened to any of you older fellas and gals or if it's just me
I know my father had the same happen at some point

I've watched it happen to my father in law who has been my hunting partner for the last 17 years. He is definitely not as enthusiastic as he used to be. Not much excitement left in it for him. A couple years ago he started talking about not hunting anymore and just slaughtering cattle instead.

At 75 and not being physically able to do what I once could has zapped a lot of my spunk and drive. I don’t like to depend on others to help but am very thankful for two wonderful son-in-laws who are always more than willing to help as well as several younger friends. What keeps me going now are the 5 grand kids and one SIL that is new to hunting. He started 3 years ago because he married my daughter that hunts. I’ve watched 3 grand boys get their first deer and spring turkeys. Still have a 5 YO grand son and 1.5 YO grand daughter to go and hope to see their first. Time will tell.

I don’t think many of us just quit what we enjoy for no reason. Usually it is because of aches, pains, parts and pieces wearing out and a loss of mobility.

My dad was about my age when I dropped in for a visit one Saturday during hunting season and he was in the house. I asked him, “how come you aren’t out hunting.” After a short moment of silence his reply was, “it ain’t as much fun as it used to be”.

I‘m beginning to understand.

I can say for certain, that the bacterial infection mess I had with my knee replacement, AGED the heck out of me. I feel it and know it. Its much harder to do things. Since it started getting cold, my fingers and toes almost go numb from the cold, when before the infection mess, cold never bothered me.

Question.
I find as I am getting older my desire to hunt is not what it was just a couple years ago.
Just wondering if happened to any of you older fellas and gals or if it's just me
Yea I’m 68 and I’m starting to slow down myself..I’ve killed 3 deer with my bow and one with high powered rifle this year…our muzzle loader season opener is Friday and I still have doe permits… I better get the darn thing shot… but there is no doubt about it I’m definitely slowing down. I could have bow hunted this morning but the bed held on to me… I do Thank the Dear Lord I can still go.., Best of Luck to everyone the rest of the season..!

Question.
I find the older I get the more it hurts to get out and do things and the mohard re the cold hurts me. My mind and spirit want to go hunting but my body needs more rest . Getting up way before daylight to sit in the cold is hard.

I’m 71 this year and still love hunting. It’s getting harder, yes, everything seems to ache at one time or another, but I still have the desire. I can’t sit still very long, never could. I hate tree stands. I still hunt into the wind, my old age has helped me slow down and experience has taught me where to look, and when to slow down. Stand hunting is way too boring for my taste.
I walk everyday I don’t hunt. a fast walk with my dog and a little cardio keep me in shape for my hunting trips. It comes down to what is important to you.
I have two grandsons who are starting to get interested in both hunting and fishing. I see it as my duty and pleasure to nurture that desire, who knows , someday they may take me hunting.
I hope I never stop, and if I die out there in the woods doing what I love, fine with me.

Attachments

• IMG_3145.jpeg
    IMG_3145.jpeg
    188.1 KB · Views: 0
My desire to hunt has never dropped but my body has other plans nowadays, LOL... I dont walk as far, hunt as hard, climb as high but I still get out when I can. More small game now due to other reasons but I hope to get out and chase some moose or caribou next season.

I quit hunting several years ago and also have no desire to shoot any critter. I hung up my spurs and it was too risky for me to be in the woods, anyway. One's body thinks nothing of betraying it's owner.
Sorry to hear that Hanshi, I bet you were a heck of a hunter at one time.
Good luck and Happy Holidays

Question.
Lost some good hunting partners. kids and grandkids are busy with families and careers .some of the camaraderie fun is gone but the love of the outdoors and the thrill is still there

I overheard this today, being in the woods is now called “taking a nature bath”! I kinda hate gen z sometimes.
I almost lost interest in deer hunting and fishing when my dad died. My wife reminded me that it was a great place to go and remember him. That put a different kind of joy back in hunting. More about just being there, rather then killing something, now. I've made new hunting friends since then. No one can replace the old man tho.

As you'all know I lost one brother 5 months ago and 12 years ago I lost my older brother at 63.My older brother was64 when he passed.I have one brother left and he is 68 and I will be 73 on the 7th.The reason I say this neither one had any physical activity in thier lives.Both passed in their living room doing nothing.My brother I have left has always been an avid hunter and great bass fisherman.I just started fishing 5 years ago and now totally hooked.Would not miss it for the world.As for hunting,yes it is a little hard getting up those cold mornings.But my brother says you can'tkill them on the couch.With out his motivationand desire,I might have given up by now.But he will noy go fishing or hunting unless I am there with him.So I am grateful for his motivation,that in itself is my biggest motivation and I love being in the woods any time of the year.He did buy a side by side 4x4 to help both of us to recover our deer without hand dragging it out.

Back