I thought they just shipped a box....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super 91

Reaction score
Well, I got the High Country Archery TSSR in today. When I picked up the box, I thought that they must have forgot to fill my order and just shipped the box. It was that light. I shook it to be sure, and sure enough, there was a slight rattle inside. I opened the box up, and out came a bit of air that looked like a bow, but sure didn't feel like a bow. I was afraid to lay it down on the table for fear of it floating away like those 3 musketeers bars you might have seen in a commercial on TV. This sucker is light! Now that the weight has been established, I will move on to the quality. Overall I give it a 9 out of ten. String is great, the cams are well machined and limbs and riser is very well put together. The brass inserts are all in nice but some are a little tarnished and whatnot. I see a few small manufacturing "crumbs" here and there, but overall it's not too bad at all. The stickers for the TSSR are on a bit off-centered, and have bubbles under them. I might just peel those off anyway. I assumed that the bow would come in at 27" draw at 70 pounds, but the handle has a sticker on it that says 29" at 72 pounds. The neat thing about that is that the bow is adjustable from 25"-30" by just moving the modules, and you don't need a press to do this! I think it is set at 80% letoff, but can't say for sure.

Overall this is a very well made bow at heart. It might have a few extremely minor picky things wrong like crooked stickers, but overall the bow is solid. I plan on oufitting it tomorrow if all the accessories come in and giving it a few shots to see how this thing is going to shoot. Once I get the chance to shoot it, I will post again on how it does. By the way, did I tell you guys this sucker was light? :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :wink:

:D Sounds really nice Bob! Any torque issues with those featherweights?

I guess it's like any bow, if you don't have good form and proper grip, you will torque the thing. Holding on target might take some getting used to as it is so very light, you might tend to float over the spot too quickly causing you to jerk it back to try to compensate. I am going to see how it does in the next day or so as soon as I get my accessories in. Sure is light though! Oh. If you are referring to the carbon riser "bending", there is no more torque in these carbon risers than aluminum. I pushed it over my knee to see how stiff it was. It doesn't move a mm. I think it is going to be one tough bow.

Bob,
That High Country TSS-R sounds like a durable bow. I had a High country years ago and I liked it a lot. It appears that I am in the market for a new bow this year as my garage was broke into at the end of June. I had my Hoyt Deviator, Mathews Q2XL, and a Horton crossbow stolen along with a set of golf clubs and a Tesoro metal detector and my leaf blower. I have looked at Mathews new Switchback and I like the way it shoots no noticeable shock. I am going to have to get serious pretty quick with our season starting 10/1. I will be interested in how your TSS-R shoots.

peteo said:
Bob,
That High Country TSS-R sounds like a durable bow. I had a High country years ago and I liked it a lot. It appears that I am in the market for a new bow this year as my garage was broke into at the end of June. I had my Hoyt Deviator, Mathews Q2XL, and a Horton crossbow stolen along with a set of golf clubs and a Tesoro metal detector and my leaf blower. I have looked at Mathews new Switchback and I like the way it shoots no noticeable shock. I am going to have to get serious pretty quick with our season starting 10/1. I will be interested in how your TSS-R shoots.

I'll post as soon as I have the chance to get it out. I have been a die-hard Matthews shooter for the past 10+ years. I loved the old Conquest line. Some of the most accurate bows I have ever shot. But there are a ton of great new bow companies that are worth a look. High Country has been around forever, and I think they have a pretty neat thing going with the carbon riser. I can deal with a tad more hand shock than what the Matthews has if I can have the weight savings. If you have ever toted a bow around the Co mountains, you will appreciate light gear. I carried a heavy bow the first year, and I thought my arms were going to fall out of sockets before the hunt was over. But I'll post my findings as soon as I get the chance to shoot.

Bob, Come on now, how does that new Hi-Country shoot? I have been looking in the bow shops and have not found one yet to try. If you are too busy just ship it to me and I will set it up, sight it in and hunt with it all fall and winter and give you a thorough appraisal on its performance along with pictures with dead deer and me smiling!
Ps. The deer wont be smiling just me.

peteo said:
Bob, Come on now, how does that new Hi-Country shoot? I have been looking in the bow shops and have not found one yet to try. If you are too busy just ship it to me and I will set it up, sight it in and hunt with it all fall and winter and give you a thorough appraisal on its performance along with pictures with dead deer and me smiling!
Ps. The deer wont be smiling just me.

Well, here's the scoop. When I called HCA they told me that I couldn't get the bow I wanted which was the Sidewinder. So I ordered the TSSR. Well the first bow had a brass insert problem so I shipped it right back and they replaced the bow asap. Well, I was ordering some accessories from Archery Experts, and low and behold they had the Sidewinder in stock. So I ordered one of those too. Now I will have the Sidewinder in tomorrow, and will be able to hold them side by side and see which I like better. I'm thinking the Sidewinder will be my bow of choice, but sometimes having it hand changes your mind. I'll post tomorrow once I have the time to look them both over really good.

Bob, How do those bows shoot and did you pick the one you are going to keep?

I've shot a High Country Xcaliber for many years. When I first went bow shopping everyone was getting Golden Eagle or Hoyts. I happened on this High Country and never looked back. The bow is very well made and with the stabalizer on it, really well balanced. All my friends ask me when I'm getting a new bow.. they all went to the Mathews, and I've shot their bows.. nice bows.. nice price. But I still like my High Country.

I will be interested to read Super 91's review of the bow. I would seriously look at High Country again when it is time for a new one .. which I have no idea when...

Back