I would like to introduce my new friend (picture heavy)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
For the last seven months, I have waited patiently for the arrival of my new friend at the house. I have had some interesting emails sent to me by one individual that will remain unnamed as to whether I was bluffing about this, or not. I just laughed it off and took no offense as I am sure they were kidding. But I am proud to introduce the newest and hopefully the last arrival at the Cayuga collection.

The new friend of course is my custom made .54 caliber rifle from Tennessee Vally Muzzle loading. The rifle is an Early Lancaster Model. It has;

Premium + full length maple wood stock
Chambers lock.
Davis Silver trigger
Colerain Swamped 42" 1-54 roundball twist barrel .54 caliber
German Silver Patch box
German Silver back plate
German Silver Butt Plate
German Silver Nose cap
German Silver Front Sight
German Silver Trigger Guard

1-DSCN0537_zps6d331b67.jpg

kind of hard to get a full length picture of this

2-DSCN0538_zps17ba6d0e.jpg

I like the looks of the patch box. It really set off the tone of the rifle.

3-DSCN0539_zpsed8466e9.jpg

the German silver nose cap and front sight makes a nice look.

4-DSCN0541_zpsa07580b7.jpg

German Silver back plate and trigger guard

When I first pulled it out of the box, I was amazed at how light that rifle really was. It felt light then my Lyman Great Plains Rifle Flintlock. I am guessing the swamped barrel has something to do with that. And next, when I shouldered it, with your hand right in front of the trigger guard on the meat of the stock, it balances almost perfect. Again, the swamped barrel I am guessing. The wood is beautiful and the hand rubbed finish is about perfect as I could have wanted.

This last picture really shows the extreme some people will go to.

6-DSCN0543_zps5b252d47.jpg

This is the new shooting house. I built a 25x12 addition on the garage. With a little chain saw work, or I could just shoot it clear, I will be able to shooting from indoors, with a wood stove to keep me toasty in the winter, cleaning tables inside, and all the tools to handle any kind of emergency. Something I always wanted.

The only bad news is I have a cataract on my shooting eye and can not even shoot my new rifle. Can you imagine the frustration of that. Also I have to make an adjustment to my gun rack as due to length, this this will not even fit under the shelf of the rack. But a hole saw, and a little stain will make a very secure spot for the new arrival.

I have not named the new rifle yet. But any suggestions, I am all ears. And the eye gets fixed this month. I will just have to wait to shoot it. Right?

Wow, that is one beautiful rifle! It's almost too pretty to shoot - almost!
Looking forward to your eye being ready to let you break it in.

That rifle is stunning! congrats. And being able to shoot in your back yard is cool enough but a heated shooting house is icing on the cake.

Without being able to shoot are you going to miss deer season or just hunt the late ml season?

:D

Best of luck with that beautiful rifle :!: :!: :!:

Ray.......... :wink:

sweet shooting shack. lol my house is just at tad bit bigger.lol
nice gun job well done.

old girl is fitting of a name for sure
"a touch of silver and maple"

i think my first project after the cataract op. would be a range rod for that beast.

Very nice! I too received a long wooden box from TVM 2 years ago. It contained an iron mounted 58cal early virginia long rifle. Mine is not as fancy as yours..Matt built mine and I love it..I'm sure you will love yours..enjoy when you are able.

Hey that is a great looking rifle. Good luck on the eye op. I had the same thing about 4 years ago and had to go about one month after the surgery before my dr. would let me fire any shoulder type weapons. I went about two years that I had to shoot long guns with my left eye, just started back ona reguler bases shooting them again last on the right side.

Dave, I think "Betsy" would be a great name for her. I think that's what Davie Crockette call his rifle??? LOL

I think I would shoot her just once before you went for surgery. I don't think one shot would hurt anything???? :wink:

Very nice! You will really like that Chambers lock and Colerain barrel. I am down to two flintlocks, one rifle and one smoothbore, and they both have Chambers locks and Colerain barrels. :yeah:

I hope you are shooting soon and have fun :partyman:

That's a pretty rifle, but why not shoot it from the opposite side? :idea:

I'm jealous of your shooting shack! :prayer: That would be sooooo nice on cold winter days! :yeah:

.54 Colerain with a Chambers lock should make for a fine shooter. :applause:

Yeehaw!
I was wondering if that addition was about to show up!
I even though about sending you a message asking how much longer your wait for the custom flintlock was going to be.
Pretty!

Back