Introducing a New Type of Cartridge for Modern Muzzleloaders with no Corrosive Oxidizers:

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HV-Muzzleloaders

Supporter
Supporting member
MM Sponsor
Reaction score
During the last couple of years, I developed a new type of cartridge for modern muzzleloading rifles which use 209 primers.

The following video is a homemade commercial which introduces the product. More videos will follow soon demonstrating the product in various muzzleloaders. The product is mainly intended for Hunters.

Some of what I learned as a member of this forum helped me with this invention. I greatly appreciate the help and suggestions from some of the moderators here, who are a walking encyclopedia of knowledge about load data, etc. I could not have done it without their help.

I now have a Provisional Patent on this invention. (Patent Pending)

We are now looking for a company who would be willing to mass produce the product.

See the video in the link below. Feel free to share it with others.

"Self-Ejecting Muzzleloader Safety Cartridge"

During the last couple of years, I developed a new type of cartridge for modern muzzleloading rifles which use 209 primers.

The following video is a homemade commercial which introduces the product. More videos will follow soon demonstrating the product in various muzzleloaders. The product is mainly intended for Hunters.

Some of what I learned as a member of this forum helped me with this invention. I greatly appreciate the help and suggestions from some of the moderators here, who are a walking encyclopedia of knowledge about load data, etc. I could not have done it without their help.

I now have a Provisional Patent on this invention. (Patent Pending)

We are now looking for a company who would be willing to mass produce the product.

See the video in the link below. Feel free to share it with others.

"Self-Ejecting Muzzleloader Safety Cartridge"

Very cool. I wish you all the best with that patent & the product's success. I am looking forward to hearing more about it in the near furture.

Many years ago Tony Knight discussed the "red powder project" with Hodgdon. It was nothing less than a safe smokeless/non corrosive powder sub for MLs. Hodgdon wasnt too hip on a powder that would make their corrosive subs obsolete in inlines.

Hodgdon could do it any time they wanted. They now own the rights to powders that make very low peak in a 50cal and are rock solid dependable with a 300gr bullet and a tight sabot. They could easily remove the corrosive components from BH209 and make it function almost exactly the same.

I wonder for those with smokeless capable barrels will there be hotter loads available as well? Only having one charge weight available would be very limiting on load development. Maybe have them in 5k PSI increments ? I like the idea of taking the guess work out of finding a safe load when using smokeless. One downside I see is the length of barrel that is taken up with this cartridge.
Curious what the cartridge is made out of?
I would like to see a slow mo video of that cartridge ejecting too!

I also wish I had a slow-motion camera.

The cartridge is not much longer than the column of powder alone, because its internal volume is mainly propellant.

This product is not designed for many of you guys on this forum. Most of the people here could be described as muzzleloader experts, (some might even say "fanatics") who want to push the limits of what a muzzleloader can do. You guys are more like the person who reloads his own ammo to squeeze out that last little bit of accuracy from his rifle.

This cartridge is really designed for the average hunter that hunts with his muzzleloader for a couple of weeks during deer season and does not want the aggravation of having a rusted barrel the next season. (I would like to have a dollar for every muzzleloader barrel thrown out due to corrosion during my lifetime.) Most of these guys do not reload their ammunition.

You probably cant say but i would love to know powder, amount, whats the ‘cartridge’ made of, what makes it eject, did you do traces with that and other weight bullets, can you make a .45 version, can I test some for you?
Due to the proprietary nature of a new invention, I am going to wait until a Utility Patent is filed sometime next year before revealing the exact construction of the invention.

However, I can tell you the main part of the cartridge is made of metal. This part is expelled after the bullet and sabot leave the barrel.
I am a retired Science teacher and used some basic Physics to make the device work.

If 45 caliber muzzleloaders become a large enough part of the market, it would be simple to reduce the diameter of the cartridge. Since 50 caliber rifles are the most common caliber, we are using that as our starting point.

Do the cartridges drop off like sabot's? How do they keep from ruining a barrel that is not smokeless rated? ( If you can say)
Yes. The cartridge comes out of the barrel after the sabot and drops to the ground.

By using the proper type and amount of propellant, the pressure produced is less than 25,000 psi. This pressure will not rupture the barrel of standard modern muzzleloaders.

This pressure can also be produced by BlackHorn209, which is already an approved substitute for Black Powder and is actually made up mainly of smokeless powder. However, the Guanidine Nitrate used in BlackHorn209 is corrosive.

In your video you demonstrate your product using a bolt action then a break action. Is your device safe to use in plunger style guns like Knight MK-85s and White Super 91s?

If they work with factory approved loads of BH209, which is actually a modified smokeless powder, it will work with this device.

During the 1870s shotgun shells were loaded with black powder. Later on, when smokeless powder was loaded into shotgun shells some of the older Damascus-twist type barrels could not handle the higher pressures produced by the smokeless powder. In the years that followed the manufacturers of both shotguns and shotshells worked together to produce standards for both the guns and the ammunition. This is one of our goals in this project.

We are now beginning the process of testing the device in a variety of other muzzleloaders.

I would also be interested in testing done on plunger rifles. I know you already know all this...But the issue with BH209 is the blow back pressure opening up the breech and sending parts of the 209 primer towards the shooter. A closed breach plug design is recommended.

So the question I would have is the pressure reduced by your cartridge enough to not have excessive blow back?

If you find out that it will work you have just opened up an entire new world for plunger rifles (Knights, Whites, etc.). That would be amazing!

I would also be interested in testing done on plunger rifles. I know you already know all this...But the issue with BH209 is the blow back pressure opening up the breech and sending parts of the 209 primer towards the shooter. A closed breach plug design is recommended.

So the question I would have is the pressure reduced by your cartridge enough to not have excessive blow back?

If you find out that it will work you have just opened up an entire new world for plunger rifles (Knights, Whites, etc.). That would be amazing!

To be perfectly honest, I do not know much about these rifles. However, it sounds like a new breech plug with a carbide insert, like those from Arrowhead Rifles, might solve the problem. The tiny hole in the bushing acts to limit the gases coming back into the primer.

Some people are still using breech plugs designed for Black Powder which have a much larger vent.

It might use black powder but it's not a muzzleloader unless it's loaded down the barrel.

It might use black powder but it's not a muzzleloader unless it's loaded down the barrel.
I agree with you.

My cartridge is designed to be loaded down the barrel from the muzzle end, just like the paper cartridges used in the Civil War.

The new "NitroFire" muzzleloader from Traditions which uses the "FireStick" propellant cartridge loaded from the breech is not a muzzleloader, in my humble opinion. However, several states have changed their laws to redefine the NitroFire rifle as a muzzleloader. That is where we are at the present time in terms of the law.

Back