Is my cleaning and storing process ok?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 25578

Reaction score
Okay so after 3 shots I like to run 2 pre-saturated swabs through my barrel, then 2 dry swabs. It does a great job as I've inspected it after 3 swabs and little to no residual existed in my barrel (basically saying 2 and 2 is plenty between shots). As I store my muzzy after a good days of shooting I bore foam it, then follow same process with 2 pre-saturated and 2 dry, I then run a seasoning patch through the barrel and finally finish up again with a double dry swabbing. Am i doing too much? Also even though I'm cleaning and seasoning prior to storage I still run a dry swab through my barrel prior to re-use.

Depends on what powder /bullet you’re using. BH209? Yes. Something else? Probably. And what are you doing with the breech plug?

Tell us more about your set up.

Last edited:
If using black or a sub (not BH) I just run 1 wet patch down and out, flip it run it again, then a dry then shoot.
End of day, thorough cleaning. And a rust protectant down the tube.

So with my CVA Ultima 50cal I'm using a parts soaker for the breach plug and firing pin along with a toothbrush kinda tool. I'm currently using Pyrotex pellets, Hornaday low drag sabots and a Remington Kleanbore 209 primer with each shot.

What kind of rust protectant do you use and how do you apply it? I seen that I can get that in patches.

A drop or two of some kind of light oil on that firing pin spring is what I do with my Optima pistol.
Beyond that, it sounds like you have a pretty good cleaning routine.
I mostly shoot traditional guns and the last step I do is to spray some WD 40 down the barrel. I swab it around with a dry patch, just to coat the barrel as best I can.

I don't believe that you can do too much cleaning with pyrodex, or any powder, really. A sealed primer keeps that firing pin clean but i still blast mine out with brake clean or Gun Scrubber then a couple drops of Remington gun oil into the pin. I started using WoolWax in my bores when im done cleaning. There are so many good products to protect your bore. Anything is better than nothing.

I always seem to be able to get a little more fouling out using JB bore paste once a season or so. And I have bought used rifles that looked quite clean and patches came out clean till I really scrubbed them. I bought a used Omega that must have taken 500 patches to get clean and it looked 95% clean to start. With sabots, I wonder if the plastic residue is really completely removed with powder solvents. Some guys use acetone for that reason. I think the JB is getting that out.

I use mostly home made gun oil (variation of Ed's Red) on my guns. Call me frugal, but it works well.
OK maybe call me cheap. I make my own penetrating oil, and BP too.;)

Between shots I lick a patch and run down both sides, then a dry patch both times. That way my cold bore shots go to the same POI (point of impact) as all the rest.

Thorough cleaning after the range session is required. If I understand you, you're using bore foam, which is designed for smokeless powder, and BH 209. Black powder and substitutes are water soluble. Lots of folks use Windex to clean. I use Dawn & water. The old buffallo hunters used to pee down the barrel. I find that running a brush down loosens the residue. I use Kroil as a rust preventative. I picked up a gallon at an estate sale for $3. I run a dry patch down the bore before shooting again.

Between shots I lick a patch and run down both sides, then a dry patch both times. That way my cold bore shots go to the same POI (point of impact) as all the rest.

Thorough cleaning after the range session is required. If I understand you, you're using bore foam, which is designed for smokeless powder, and BH 209. Black powder and substitutes are water soluble. Lots of folks use Windex to clean. I use Dawn & water. The old buffallo hunters used to pee down the barrel. I find that running a brush down loosens the residue. I use Kroil as a rust preventative. I picked up a gallon at an estate sale for $3. I run a dry patch down the bore before shooting again.
If I remember correctly CVA makes a foaming bore cleaner for black powder and substitutes excluding black horn.

There have always been a number of foaming bore cleaners on the market for bp/subs. TC T17 is the one I used to use, but it’s slower than manual scrubbing and I never found it any better than other options.

Attachments

• 4BB1BB86-8A31-46D0-877F-CEA0A08A5F72.png
    4BB1BB86-8A31-46D0-877F-CEA0A08A5F72.png
    153.4 KB · Views: 0
When I am ready to do the final wiping and final patch thru the barrel I use this product....

GXXc6IR.jpg

I the two years since I started using this I have seen zero rust on any gun and zero rust on any of the tools in my tool chest out in the garage. It handles and uses just like the original WD-40 but does a far superior job of preventing rust. Do an internet search on the stuff and you'll find a very in-depth corrosion study done pitting this product against maybe twenty others using different degrees of dampness and storage times and you will get an eye opening.

Latest posts

Back